6.5 SAUM or 6UM

Getting the itch to put together a rifle, want a niche, cool chambering/caliber. I reload so no worries with needing factory ammo.

Big fan of the shoot 2 hunt podcast so as a result I’ve added the 6UM to the consideration.

Which do you think will have better brass support? 6.5SAUM is a bit of a struggle to get brass, I’d likely have to neck down 7 SAUM.

My concern for 6UM is if heaven forbid, UM disappears or stops selling brass down the road, where would the brass come from? ADG directly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you aware that they currently use 6.5 SAUM brass to make 6 UM brass?

Either way, it's not hard to get a barrel life's worth of brass up front. 100 ought to do it for a 6UM, maybe even a 6.5 SAUM depending on how you run it.

ckleeves

WKR
I wouldn’t say it’s real hard to get 6.5 saum brass. I looked around just now for about 2 minutes and found ADG in stock. Just buy enough for a barrels worth and call it good.

If you’re worried about brass down the road just go straight 6 PRC. 6.5 prc brass is everywhere at this point and not likely to go anywhere.

If you’re worried about brass down the road just go straight 6 PRC. 6.5 prc brass is everywhere at this point and not likely to go anywhere.
I'm of the same opinion, quality brass everywhere and you could save a few bucks on shelf dies from a number of mfg.

ckleeves

WKR
I feel like 6 PRC is kinda the easy button on fast 6’s. No fireforming, brass is everywhere, dies are cheap and easy. When you run the numbers vs 6UM that extra 75-100 yards of range with the UM before you drop below minimum expansion velocity is hard earned and further then about 98% of people should be shooting game at anyway.

I can see it with a real short barreled rig where your trying to milk absolutely everything you can out of it.

OP
T
Thanks all, I was not aware of the 6 PRC, I will check it out!

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I think they mentioned on the Shoot2Hunt podcast that they are going to get ADG to stamp 6UM brass. Sounds like it’s not that far out, which is nice because I plan to build one this winter after hunting season.

B23

WKR
Now that there's more than one high BC 25 caliber bullet to choose from they need to add a 25 UM to the family. Maybe a 25 UM but off of the 7PRC case instead of the SAUM or with Lapua getting into the WSM brass making business they could base it off the WSM case.

A 134 ELD-M or Berger 135 both having around a .650 BC and launching somewhere in the 3300-3400fps range, yeah, run the numbers on that and tell me if it doesn't make you drool.

hdc77

FNG
Classified Approved
6 UM sounds like a great cartridge, I even bought a reamer from JGS and sold it shortly afterwards. Fire forming with component cost and availability wasn’t ideal last year. I am about to build a 6 PRC, Lapua brass is available and easy to neck down,. I’m throating mine for 108s, only waiting on JGS for the reamer. Good luck with your project.

OP
T
6 UM sounds like a great cartridge, I even bought a reamer from JGS and sold it shortly afterwards. Fire forming with component cost and availability wasn’t ideal last year. I am about to build a 6 PRC, Lapua brass is available and easy to neck down,. I’m throating mine for 108s, only waiting on JGS for the reamer. Good luck with your project.

Dumb question, how exactly does one neck down 6.5 prc brass to 6 PRC? I know it has to do with bushings and mandrel but after that I’m not sure how to

Now that there's more than one high BC 25 caliber bullet to choose from they need to add a 25 UM to the family. Maybe a 25 UM but off of the 7PRC case instead of the SAUM or with Lapua getting into the WSM brass making business they could base it off the WSM case.

A 134 ELD-M or Berger 135 both having around a .650 BC and launching somewhere in the 3300-3400fps range, yeah, run the numbers on that and tell me if it doesn't make you drool.
West Texas ordnance has done the 25-7prc its a dang cool cartridge

hdc77

FNG
Classified Approved
Dumb question, how exactly does one neck down 6.5 prc brass to 6 PRC? I know it has to do with bushings and mandrel but after that I’m not sure how to

I use a 6.5 PRC die without the expander, and neck it down in two steps, first use a .284 bushing followed by a .270ish bushing, afterwards run a mandrel to set NT. Some people do it in one step.

OP
T
So when it comes to tikka action, because that’s the action I want to go with from a cost and reliability standpoint, would it be best for me to buy a 6.5PRC tikka, then have a new barrel spun up by let’s say Ace barrels from UM, then UM installs the barrel and I’m off to the races with 6 PRC using 6.5PRC brass necked down using a type S bushing die?

B23

WKR
So when it comes to tikka action, because that’s the action I want to go with from a cost and reliability standpoint, would it be best for me to buy a 6.5PRC tikka, then have a new barrel spun up by let’s say Ace barrels from UM, then UM installs the barrel and I’m off to the races with 6 PRC using 6.5PRC brass necked down using a type S bushing die?
I think you can buy a semi custom Tikka right from the folks at UM in 6 PRC if that's what you want and it'd be one stop shopping all in all done.

Yeah, don't go buying an expensive roughtech or veil model for a donor action. I dont think they make PRC in lite models yet.

OP
T
Yeah, don't go buying an expensive roughtech or veil model for a donor action. I dont think they make PRC in lite models yet.

Did some more research and I think all I need is their normal (lot long) sized action and the barrel will be replaced regardless with a 6mm so I don’t think I’d have to get a 6.5 prc chambered tikka unless I am missing something