6.5CM at Grendel Velocities

fshaw

WKR
Is anyone loading their 6.5CM down near 6.5 Grendel velocities. If so have you done any hunting with it at those velocities? I understand the "bullets not head stamps" thing and have been a reloader for many years. I picked up a Remington 700 ADL synthetic at a cheap price that had the barrel shortened to 20". Figured it'd be more fun off the bench and for practice if tamed down a bit. The Federal factory ammo I got with it seems to have a fair amount of muzzle blast. In fairness, it is the shortest barreled rifle I own so I'm probably biased.

Thanks.

Frank

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot factory ammo but just cut my 6.5 CM to 17”. It’s shooting right at 2,500 fps with 140 eld-m. I haven’t hunted with it yet but I’m taking it to Texas this week for whitetail and hogs.

It maintains 1,800 over 550 yds so it should be perfect for what I need. If I ever get my tax stamp it’ll still be at 23” with a suppressor.

I shoot factory ammo but just cut my 6.5 CM to 17”. It’s shooting right at 2,500 fps with 140 eld-m. I haven’t hunted with it yet but I’m taking it to Texas this week for whitetail and hogs.

It maintains 1,800 over 550 yds so it should be perfect for what I need. If I ever get my tax stamp it’ll still be at 23” with a suppressor.
Yeah my Grendel runs at 2550 but with a 123 eldm. Shoots steel great at 500 and pigs inside 300

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
I guess I could have added questions related to specifics of accuracy results and best powders found for that application. Ultimately that's what I'm interested in. I know that H4895 is the easy starting point. I'm interested in experiences with other powders. I hunt in the Adirondack forest so shots are pretty close. I did kill one buck at long range though, pretty close to 120 yards!

Thanks.

I have my wife’s 6.5cm loaded down with a very mild load of Varget over 110gr hammer hunter. There may be better options from a terminal ballistic standpoint but a starting/low dose of Varget may get you closer to what you want

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
Willfry027, thank you. How’s the accuracy with that load in your rifle?

Willfry027, thank you. How’s the accuracy with that load in your rifle?
It’s good. About 1.5” moa for 10 shot groups. Did zero load development. Velocity is 2800ish. Pressure is up near 3100fps for reference. Recoil is very very mild which was the goal. My wife has taken 7-8 animals with it; whitetails, mule deer, antelope and a pig. Couple out at 300-330 yards. Monos get a bad rap on here but they do exit and in the whitetail woods it can be nice to have an exit.