6 creed build/buy help

Flyjunky

WKR
I wanted to get some advice on options for 6mm creed for my daughter. She’s 9 right now and I have her training on a s&w mp15. I’ll obviously be using the rifle as well 😄.

I’m leaning towards a chassis just for the lop adjustments. I’ve looked at the ruger precision, Havak hit, ca mpr, etc.. The problem is most of those, except the mpr, are really heavy. They also all have longer barrels than I’d like because it would be suppressed but I could always change the barrel. I’m not opposed to building off an action as well. Usually I’m well versed on rifles but I’m not a chassis person so I’m a little behind the curve on the options.

Any ideas on what to look at?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have used the McMillan Sentry. It is a CF forend that takes an AR grip and buttstock. I could kit it out lighter than a chassis. I don't think they make them still. PM me for info privately about them if you want.

One of the best options IMO for a lightweight rig is the XLR magnesium chassis with carbon fiber add ons. Or, the budget chassis option is an MDT LSS.

If you don't need a quick change, you can cut down a CF stock and get plastic spacers to add for LOP. Just need to change length of bolts with the spacers.

Or, the cheap and easy way is to cut down a stock and use a slip on recoil pad for you.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
I have used the McMillan Sentry. It is a CF forend that takes an AR grip and buttstock. I could kit it out lighter than a chassis. I don't think they make them still. PM me for info privately about them if you want.

One of the best options IMO for a lightweight rig is the XLR magnesium chassis with carbon fiber add ons. Or, the budget chassis option is an MDT LSS.

If you don't need a quick change, you can cut down a CF stock and get plastic spacers to add for LOP. Just need to change length of bolts with the spacers.

Or, the cheap and easy way is to cut down a stock and use a slip on recoil pad for you.
Appreciate it, and I think the chassis is where I’m headed. It gives her a consistent feel with her trainer.

I’ll start diving in on the research and gathering pieces.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know you said 6 creed, but the 6 ARC or the 22 ARC are going to be just as effective inside 400 yards on game. Barrels will come shorter and lighter weight. I really like the Mini Howa for the short bolt throw and lighter weight. You can get the MDT LSS for it.

I know 6 creed factory rifles are slim. I like the Howa barreled actions from Brownells, and drop them in an LSS. They have a 6mm creed in hunting weight threaded.

I've posted and commented about the Howa Mini. It has it's negative points, but its a solid shooter and very good trigger.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
I know you said 6 creed, but the 6 ARC or the 22 ARC are going to be just as effective inside 400 yards on game. Barrels will come shorter and lighter weight. I really like the Mini Howa for the short bolt throw and lighter weight. You can get the MDT LSS for it.

I know 6 creed factory rifles are slim. I like the Howa barreled actions from Brownells, and drop them in an LSS. They have a 6mm creed in hunting weight threaded.

I've posted and commented about the Howa Mini. It has it's negative points, but its a solid shooter and very good trigger.
I’ll check those out, that might be a good option.

I’ll second the mdt lss xl. I added SCS butt to it and 8 year shoots it very comfortably. I put together a 6mm CM from a tikka action and it’s pretty manageable for him to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
I’ll second the mdt lss xl. I added SCS butt to it and 8 year shoots it very comfortably. I put together a 6mm CM from a tikka action and it’s pretty manageable for him to shoot.

Great, thank you

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
I just looked at the lss xl, that’s a good looking option.

Fixed or carbine version?

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to get some advice on options for 6mm creed for my daughter. She’s 9 right now and I have her training on a s&w mp15. I’ll obviously be using the rifle as well 😄.

I’m leaning towards a chassis just for the lop adjustments. I’ve looked at the ruger precision, Havak hit, ca mpr, etc.. The problem is most of those, except the mpr, are really heavy. They also all have longer barrels than I’d like because it would be suppressed but I could always change the barrel. I’m not opposed to building off an action as well. Usually I’m well versed on rifles but I’m not a chassis person so I’m a little behind the curve on the options.

Any ideas on what to look at?

My daughter was similar, training with the AR platform from 8-12yo. She hunted with one (6arc) at age 12 since it was what she was practiced with, not shooting a single bolt rifle since age 7.

When she turned 13 this year we tried the bolt rifle and she took right to it. I couldn’t believe how easy she took to it actually, she was absolutely drilling targets. We did a seekins element 6cm since I wanted it to be factory (so qualifies for NRL hunter) and as light as possible. She shot her AR fantastic and was successful with it, but it was too big/heavy for her to manage properly.

I can say it’s been great. She packed her own rifle every bit of our five day hunt this year and did well. Shoots absolutely awesome but needs a rest of course (I packed a tripod and shooting bag for her).

I replaced the recoil pad with a thinner one and I think the LOP is now about 12.75”. Mild recoil with a UL7 can but enough she can’t see impact.

I guess that’s a long way of saying beware of rifle weight so she can handle it, but be aware 6cm is still a bit of recoil for a kid (at least mine) in a LW rifle.

Good luck, awesome on you for putting this together for your kid!

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
My daughter was similar, training with the AR platform from 8-12yo. She hunted with one (6arc) at age 12 since it was what she was practiced with, not shooting a single bolt rifle since age 7.

When she turned 13 this year we tried the bolt rifle and she took right to it. I couldn’t believe how easy she took to it actually, she was absolutely drilling targets. We did a seekins element 6cm since I wanted it to be factory (so qualifies for NRL hunter) and as light as possible. She shot her AR fantastic and was successful with it, but it was too big/heavy for her to manage properly.

I can say it’s been great. She packed her own rifle every bit of our five day hunt this year and did well. Shoots absolutely awesome but needs a rest of course (I packed a tripod and shooting bag for her).

I replaced the recoil pad with a thinner one and I think the LOP is now about 12.75”. Mild recoil with a UL7 can but enough she can’t see impact.

I guess that’s a long way of saying beware of rifle weight so she can handle it, but be aware 6cm is still a bit of recoil for a kid (at least mine) in a LW rifle.

Good luck, awesome on you for putting this together for your kid!
Thanks for that info. I’ve thought about the weight issue and I think while she’s young I wouldn’t mind a 10.5-12lb rifle for her to help soak up some recoil. While she’s young during the youth hunts I’d be carrying it for her anyway.

WRO

WKR
Thanks for that info. I’ve thought about the weight issue and I think while she’s young I wouldn’t mind a 10.5-12lb rifle for her to help soak up some recoil. While she’s young during the youth hunts I’d be carrying it for her anyway.

My daughter shot her buck with a ruger precision 6 creed, heavy bugger, but it’s super easy and low recoil for the kid to shoot. The ruger rpr 22 is a great trainer to match.

Make sure to get a suppressor to put on it as well, game changer.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
My daughter shot her buck with a ruger precision 6 creed, heavy bugger, but it’s super easy and low recoil for the kid to shoot. The ruger rpr 22 is a great trainer to match.

Make sure to get a suppressor to put on it as well, game changer.

Thanks WRO, I talked with you about this on Ifish. Appreciate it!

I have a Rem 700 6cm you could slap in a chassis pm me if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
That’s right, that havak hit looks like a neat stick.

Sorry to double post.

No big deal at all, I just didn’t want you to waste typing time.

The bolt nose conversion is a nice feature on that havak in case we decided to move up in cartridge choice.

Have a good Thanksgiving!

Weldor

WKR
Just got a Seekins Havak Element, 6 creed. 5lbs 12 oz. 7.7 with scope and 8.1 with suppressor. It has a near vertical grip, Stock is nice. Might look at these. Fluted 21 inch bbl.

Reactions: NSI