Dilemma: Semi custom Tikka build on budget vs. 7PRC factory rifle

Macintosh

WKR
Again, many respondents started coloring outside the lines of the perimeters set forth in my original question. The .270 with coppers sounds like a great idea but I did not want this to devolve into a cartridge debate. I am really just hoping for feedback on building a semi custom rifle on my existing Tikka action vs purchasing a new rifle in the $1800ish price range. Other than causing a potential build to need a larger bolt face, let’s forget I even mentioned 7PRC, it seems to divert people off the original path quicker than an In-N-Out with no line.
Sorry if the direct answer to your question was lost in the 270 suggestion. If you have your heart set on a 7prc then I would go new and NOT build off your existing rifle, because I think with a 7prc you’ll want a backup rifle in a common cartridge at some point, and you’ll also want (need?) something to practice with that beats you up less if you want to shoot at longer range. low-recoil 30-06 could be an easier option for that maybe. If you end up loving the 7prc after a couple seasons then you can more easily rebarrel the 30-06 to something less of a duplicate, ie turning it into a 6 or 6.5 creed would be just a barrel and a few inexpensive accessories (bolt stop and a couple mags) without having to mess with the bolt face.

Or, instead of one custom rifle maybe consider trading your gun as-is for 2 $900 rifles, a 7prc and a 223 or similar that allows you to practice a lot easier.

Last edited:
I don’t want to pile on to the cartridge debate, but do have a serious question. Say you buy/build a 7prc for 1800 and you buy a few boxes of the hornady cx loads. Then you get to the range and discover it shoots 2+ moa out of your gun. What’s your next move to rectify that? Do you switch to lead core bullets? I’m only aware of the hornady as a lead free option at the moment. Do you wait for more factory options? Do you ditch the gun and start over?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Again, many respondents started coloring outside the lines of the perimeters set forth in my original question. The .270 with coppers sounds like a great idea but I did not want this to devolve into a cartridge debate. I am really just hoping for feedback on building a semi custom rifle on my existing Tikka action vs purchasing a new rifle in the $1800ish price range. Other than causing a potential build to need a larger bolt face, let’s forget I even mentioned 7PRC, it seems to divert people off the original path quicker than an In-N-Out with no line.

The reason for coloring outside the lines is the 7 PRC has very limited ammo selections and will likely have a very limited barrel life. Also wanting bang flops with monos is tough not to mention you have exactly one ammo option and dont reload. What are you going to do if you spend all the money and the barrel shoots the 160 gr CX factory ammo like crap? Your only other factory option are eldx/eldm.

Last edited:
OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t want to pile on to the cartridge debate, but do have a serious question. Say you buy/build a 7prc for 1800 and you buy a few boxes of the hornady cx loads. Then you get to the range and discover it shoots 2+ moa out of your gun. What’s your next move to rectify that? Do you switch to lead core bullets? I’m only aware of the hornady as a lead free option at the moment. Do you wait for more factory options? Do you ditch the gun and start over?
This is a good point and a very real concern I have. I anticipate the 7PRC catching on and additional factory ammo options coming online but there is still the chance that this doesn’t happen. I think Shot Show 2024 should give us some insight into the direction this is going. I like some of the inherent accuracy that is built into the 7PRC and hope it ends up the the 6.5 Creedmore where most guns will shoot a variety of ammo well and there are many options.

This is a good point and a very real concern I have. I anticipate the 7PRC catching on and additional factory ammo options coming online but there is still the chance that this doesn’t happen. I think Shot Show 2024 should give us some insight into the direction this is going. I like some of the inherent accuracy that is built into the 7PRC and hope it ends up the the 6.5 Creedmore where most guns will shoot a variety of ammo well and there are many options.
I certainly think the 7prc is going to catch on. Will it skyrocket and be the next 6.5 cm? Probably not but hornandys marketing and control of the market all but guarantee it will not end up a dead cartridge. As far as your rifle not liking the only ammo available I think the chances are decently low. I’ve heard of little to no reports of both factory and custom 7prc not shooting either the eldm or eldx loads good. However I haven’t seen much of the outfitter ammo with the cx bullet in 7prc. And I have seen reports of the outfitter and cx in general being inconsistent in accuracy. I don’t think your plan is a “bad” plan I just think it could end up not working out. My recommendation would be to buy a 7prc rifle and keep your 06 as a backup at first. Of the factory options I would think the browning sr is the best bet for what you want.

Ralphie

WKR
I’d be selling your tikka and buying a seekins havak or element depending on your budget and weight tolerance. You’ll then have a fine rifle, backed by one of the better customer services in the industry.

With regards to ammo. You do make some compromises with monos but they still kill. If you really want monos try the CX bullet from hornady ammunition. If it doesn’t shoot that well I’d try the rifle with a lead core bullet just to get a baseline of what the rifle is capable of. Next steps might be talking to seekins (might even talk to them beforehand about CX bullet accuracy) then there are several companies that will custom build you ammo with monos.

Who knows for sure about the staying power of any newer cartridge. That said, I’m thinking the 7 prc is here to stay and ammo choices will get wider and availability better. I‘d be a little nervous about the 6.8 western.

By the way, I live 20 miles from a one stoplight town. And it’s quite a bit further to a town any bigger. In that town I can buy only the very basics of ammo. And yet it took me about 30 seconds to find all the hornady outfitter 160 CX ammo I’d want and it’ll show up at my door.😀

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I really hope Tikka offers this in a 20" barrel, 22" max. I have been planning to swap barrels on a 300 wm to 7 prc with a 20" barrel. If they do offer a 20-22" barrel I'll buy one of those and keep the 300 wm as is.
I'm in the same exact boat. I would love to see a stainless superlite 7PRC in a 20 inch threaded barrel.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I’d love to see Tikka suppressor ready Tikkas in 16, 18, and 20”, depending on caliber. They could darn near corner the market on folks wanting practical factory hunting rifles with suppressors.

a Tikka 7 Rem Mag will be effective to 500-600 yards if you do your part. And more for that matter. My tikka 7 RM shoots Barnes 160 TSX very well.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
No prob.

My factory rifles are all sold. All I shoot and all I build now are Tikkas and ARs.

-J
NSI,
Are there any threads where you have posted photos and descriptions of your Tikka builds?

Having gone around this same thought process (buy from company that offers the cartridge I want, or build off a Tikka I have) I’ll go Tikka build each time. Get exactly what you want, how you want it, and the price isn’t that bad (many times better) compared to some of the more expensive production rifles.

I recently had a Tikka made into a 6CM and it’s perfect. 20”, fluted, threaded, good stock, cool cerakote. And it’s a Tikka, great action, great trigger (KRG 2 stage), Bravo stock…. Until the Rokstock becomes real. I’ve got a 7mag in the safe that is begging to be sold or turned into some 7PRC hotrod haha

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Having gone around this same thought process (buy from company that offers the cartridge I want, or build off a Tikka I have) I’ll go Tikka build each time. Get exactly what you want, how you want it, and the price isn’t that bad (many times better) compared to some of the more expensive production rifles.

I recently had a Tikka made into a 6CM and it’s perfect. 20”, fluted, threaded, good stock, cool cerakote. And it’s a Tikka, great action, great trigger (KRG 2 stage), Bravo stock…. Until the Rokstock becomes real. I’ve got a 7mag in the safe that is begging to be sold or turned into some 7PRC hotrod haha
Jolly,
Who did your work on the rifle for you? How do you like the Bravo stock and what’s the total rifle weight?

Jolly,
Who did your work on the rifle for you? How do you like the Bravo stock and what’s the total rifle weight?
Marc at Spartan Rifles… he’s local to me and did a fantastic job.

I love the Bravo overall. I have 3 of them currently. Only complain is the weight but it could be worse.

The rifle weighs 10lbs. That’s with the Bravo, an SWFA 5-20 in UM rings, and a thicker barrel (3B profile)

Attachments

• IMG_5607.jpeg
    IMG_5607.jpeg
    830.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Gila

WKR
Tikka stainless action $700-$800. Shouldered prefit of your choice $500
Stock of your choice $500
I would go a little higher than that on cost….you are looking at $900 out the door for a SS tikka action. The barrel and stock aren’t worth much maybe recoup $100. The cheapest prefit is going for closer to $600 out the door and will spend another $150 minimum on a gunsmith to twist off the old barrel and spin on the new one and check headspace. So cheapest prefit will set you back minimum $750. Stocks are as good as you are willing to pay for. Very few chassis right now offer a long action for a Tikka. A decent carbon fiber stock is going for at least $600 out the door.

Personally, I only like to shoot Tikkas but I am ditching the long action chamberings for short action cartridges. I am moving to new short, fat cartridges designed for long range accuracy with long, low drag bullets. The long action cartridges are going by the way of the dodo. Right now the only way to eek out the best performance for long action cartridges is to handload. That is changing though. The Tikka action is just too short to achieve the best performance for long action chamberings. That includes the 7 PRC.

my 2 cents and apologies as I read the first page and not second before replying...

I purchased a tikka t3x 308 and started reloading with plans if I want to use the action as a basis for semi custom build with same bolt face / action into a 7mm-08... started reloading. fell in love with the stock gun accuracy and 2 years later, 30+ whitetail/hogs/ coyotes later and I havnt changed it. My reloading skills have grown, ive found several rounds that are shooting half dollar size groups ( not spectacular but some the best shooting ive ever done) I also have a rex silencer and at this point, this gun wont be touched until I shoot the barrel out which may not happen as I am putting roughly 100-150 rounds over summer and pre season with ammo testing and just plinking to when hunting season starts.

I would like a custom gun but if i need another prob end up on the rokslide classifieds and find a 7mm-08

7mm-08 stainless T3 is my do-everything rifle.

Elk, deer, antelope, even a couple of ‘yotes that quit running when they shouldn’t have.

Find some Big Game powder and magnum primers.

P

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
7mm-08 stainless T3 is my do-everything rifle.

Elk, deer, antelope, even a couple of ‘yotes that quit running when they shouldn’t have.

Find some Big Game powder and magnum primers.

P
my 308 is in the same status but def will be looking once it makes sense ( aka kid on the way that will have a rifle to grow into)

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
So, I sold my Tikka. I’m still not sure I made the right choice but it was mostly a financial one. I only hunted 2.5 days of rifle season this year and a new stock and barrel were going to be more than I wanted to spend with the considerations I have. If some of the barrel companies and stock companies have significant sales for Black Friday, I may end up regretting it. I am going to wait until after Shot Show to see what shakes out and in what direction things are going before deciding on a rifle. I need a decent workhorse of a rifle that can carry me through the next 5-7 years to see where I go in terms of rifle hunting and shooting. 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western and 7 PRC are all still in the running. Thank you all that gave input.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Since you need a magnum bolt you probably made a good choice. I wouldn't wait for 7PRC to become readily available. Just based off rule of thumb distances are for Elk then Mule deer:

30-06 178 grain or 270 with 145 grain - 500 and 700 yard
7 RM 162 grain - 600 and 900 yard
7 PRC 175 grain and 300 win 200 grain - 700 and 1000+ yard

I would argue the 7 PRC offers marginal improvement over a 7 RM. You could buy a tikka in 7RM and then get a custom 7 PRC barrel later. Idk how much you shoot but I think you would have to shoot quite a bit to really benefit from the performance difference between the two cartridges. The new cartridges are pretty cool but unless you reload I wouldn't touch anything but old Fudd cartridges. Since 7 PRC was designed for using long bullets in a 3.34" COAL tikkas medium action will work quite well and maybe offer some weight savings over a magnum action. By the time you bag multiple trophies with the 7 RM the 7PRC might catch on and be readily available with multiple ammo offerings.

I know you specifically want a 7 PRC as your one rifle. The challenge of being a one rifle guy is you have to compromise a lot. I think if I'm coming from the 1 rifle perspective I would go with 300 win, 7 RM, 30-06, 270 or 308 mainly due to ammo offerings and availability and depending on your recoil tolerance.

I would personally go 7 RM, get a good scope, put on a limbsaver pad, lightweight Talley's, get a viper or similar quality scope and maybe swap out for a vertical grip and role with the factory stock. In a decade or when you burn out the barrel I'd then have a lot of money saved and I'd rechamber to 6.8 western, 6.5 or 7 PRC only after buying reloading setup and supplies for the new fancy cartridge which by then it will be the the 7 Western. the 7 Western will shoot 250 grain bullets at the same velocity as the 7 PRC does with 175 but with half the recoil the G1 BC will be 2, you'll be glad you waited but it will be at least 100 years before ammo becomes readily available and the wolves will have killed all the Elk anyhow.

Last edited: