6 UM Reloading Thread

Axlrod

WKR
I know it’s not the same parent cartridge, but I do assume some of the information being shared here will be interesting. For example, I now know it has been tagged “6 ROKUM”. Thanks for that! I liked the idea of not fireforming, and simply necking the 7 PRC down to 6mm. Again, it should be interesting!
No worries, just didn't want you to have any problems getting data from this 6UM reloading thread. I am thinking there will be a 6-7PRC/6 ROKUM thread to keep the data separate. I am building one on the 7PRC case myself. If they get 22 or 6 UM head stamped brass I will probably shift to one of those.

RogerPa

FNG
No worries, just didn't want you to have any problems getting data from this 6UM reloading thread. I am thinking there will be a 6-7PRC/6 ROKUM thread to keep the data separate. I am building one on the 7PRC case myself. If they get 22 or 6 UM head stamped brass I will probably shift to one of those.
I appreciate the information! Hopefully there will be a specific 6 ROKUM thread. I for one would be a fan. Thank you again!

Doddse1

FNG
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask here just to confirm I have the steps needed to build this. Correct me if I’m missing something (which is likely)

1. Order 6.5 SAUM from ADG or another high quality brass company.
2. Neck down that brass to 6mm SAUM.
3. Have a barrel chambered in 6UM. Reamer can be rented if I remember correctly? Or maybe ACE barrels can do it?
4. Start with a light load to fireform the brass?

Obvious issue is barrel life. Are you guys ordering the brass from UM directly?

My build will be a Tikka build with SS 20” barrel.

I’d be curious also as to the pricing you guys here are paying for if you are buying from UM directly.

Thanks for any help. I’ve really enjoyed reading up on all of these threads and I’ve learned a ton. I also am pretty certain I’ll be converting to leaving the 30 cal in the safe and trying out this 6UM on game for the foreseeable future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doddse1

FNG
Now that I’ve read up more on the 6UM thread. It appears this may ADG may be making some UM headstamped brass. You just set the neck tension and shoulder bump? Has anyone just necked down a 6.5 SAUM to 6mm without improving the shoulder?

Doddse1

FNG
Isn't that like just sticking the tip in?
Why not go all the way to a full 6 UM

Kris

I don’t know if I’d say just the tip. Maybe just wearing protection lol.

No for me fire forming may be a step I don’t want to deal with this summer. Have you hydro formed any? That could be something I can look into

Doddse1

FNG
Isn't that like just sticking the tip in?
Why not go all the way to a full 6 UM

Kris

Also if you or anyone has any data on how much performance gain you get with the 40 degree shoulder vs the non id like to see it. I’m guessing 100-150 fps?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

No for me fire forming may be a step I don’t want to deal with this summer. Have you hydro formed any? That could be something I can look into

I don’t understand why people think “fire forming” is such a task. Buy 100pcs of headstamped 6UM brass, load bullets, shoot, hunt with them if you want. Then you have a 100pcs of “formed” brass to reload, add a couple grains of powder, done.

Doddse1

FNG
I don’t understand why people think “fire forming” is such a task. Buy 100pcs of headstamped 6UM brass, load bullets, shoot, hunt with them if you want. Then you have a 100pcs of “formed” brass to reload, add a couple grains of powder, done.

Appreciate the input Form. Do you have an estimated round count through your barrel so far? Still staying with your same load you posted earlier?

Jimbee

WKR
That doesn't seem like a big deal, but what about dies?

BBob

WKR
That doesn't seem like a big deal, but what about dies?
Unknown Munitions/Whidden. Post 379

Last edited:

GoatPackr

WKR

Fire forming is pretty easy. If people can't handle Fire forming then it's probably best to stick with factory ammo. It's as easy as loading any other ammo.
If concerned about burning out the barrel sooner then biuld on A Tikka and have them chamber the factory barrel with the 6 UM and have it for fire forming and spin a good barrel on after that.

Kris

Doddse1

FNG
Fire forming is pretty easy. If people can't handle Fire forming then it's probably best to stick with factory ammo. It's as easy as loading any other ammo.
If concerned about burning out the barrel sooner then biuld on A Tikka and have them chamber the factory barrel with the 6 UM and have it for fire forming and spin a good barrel on after that.

Kris

Agreed. Seems like the best option right now

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Appreciate the input Form. Do you have an estimated round count through your barrel so far? Still staying with your same load you posted earlier?

100-150’ish rounds. Hasn’t been shot much. Same load.

Odd1out

FNG

Kris
What would be the caliber option in the tikka to do this? 243 and swap out the bolt face?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk