6mm vs 25 Caliber

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Wanting to re barrel a Tikka 300WSM. I’m leaning towards 6PRC or SAUM or 25PRC or SAUM. After reading through several threads it seems like 6mm is the cheat code for shoot ability, velocity and high BC. I will be shooting suppressed (Hyperion K) with a 18-20” barrel. I don’t want to Fireform. Comparing the 108 vs 134 ELD-M the 25 has a pretty significant BC advantage. From anyone who has experience with both is there a measurable recoil increase with the 25’s? Pros and Cons of each? The ability to carry 1800 FPS to 900 yards is the goal with the best wind bucking characteristics. PRC brass seems to be more affordable and available. Talk me into one.

Solid plan. I don't think you can go wrong with either 6mm or quarter bore in that case. No experience with either though, so I can't speak to the specifics. Bullet selection alone would tip me toward the 6mm. As much as I love .257 pills, there ain't a hell of a lot of options.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Solid plan. I don't think you can go wrong with either 6mm or quarter bore in that case. No experience with either though, so I can't speak to the specifics. Bullet selection alone would tip me toward the 6mm. As much as I love .257 pills, there ain't a hell of a lot of options.
Bullet selection is a good point. I think between the ELD-M and the Berger Hybrid Targets I’ll be safe for what I’m trying to do. DTACs on the 6 stuff as well.

TxLite

WKR
Following because I’m in the same boat, but looking at 16”-18” barrels in the 6-284 and 25-284 variants to replace my 22” 7-08 barrel.

I have been leaning towards the 6 for the recoil aspect, but the 133/134 in the 25 is extremely appealing.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Following because I’m in the same boat, but looking at 16”-18” barrels in the 6-284 and 25-284 variants to replace my 22” 7-08 barrel.

I have been leaning towards the 6 for the recoil aspect, but the 133/134 in the 25 is extremely appealing.
Exactly, hard to go wrong with either. With the wind being the biggest variable the 25 seems to have the edge assuming recoil increase isn’t noticeable/drastic.

These are two choices i find very appealing as well.

I had to be on my game to spot shots with my 9#+ 6.5 SAUM with an APA micro bastard brake. When comparing the choices you're looking at i figured a 25 PRC configured like you mention would be about equivalent to that in regards to spotting shots so that would be my only hesitation with the 25. I do like that the 25 is less overbore though.

Can close the BC gap a little by getting your paws on 109 ELDs or using berger 108EH rather than the 108 eld but those new 25s are slick. (PS, anyone got a line on 109 ELDm pills?)

The 25SST is shot by a member here (can’t recall which one at the moment) and he speaks very highly of it and its use on game. I personally would lean to the 25 which is what I am building but it won’t be a hot rod like what you’re after.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
These are two choices i find very appealing as well.

I had to be on my game to spot shots with my 9#+ 6.5 SAUM with an APA micro bastard brake. When comparing the choices you're looking at i figured a 25 PRC configured like you mention would be about equivalent to that in regards to spotting shots so that would be my only hesitation with the 25. I do like that the 25 is less overbore though.

Can close the BC gap a little by getting your paws on 109 ELDs or using berger 108EH rather than the 108 eld but those new 25s are slick. (PS, anyone got a line on 109 ELDm pills?)
That’s good feedback, I wasn’t aware of the 109 ELD M’s. I’ll look into them. I hunt solo enough that spotting impacts from various field shooting positions is important. If the 25 makes that challenging. I will certainly opt for the 6mm.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
The 25SST is shot by a member here (can’t recall which one at the moment) and he speaks very highly of it and its use on game. I personally would lean to the 25 which is what I am building but it won’t be a hot rod like what you’re after.
I think it was one of the owners of LSwild, who was just on the rok cast recently.

KGT

FNG
Wanting to re barrel a Tikka 300WSM. I’m leaning towards 6PRC or SAUM or 25PRC or SAUM. After reading through several threads it seems like 6mm is the cheat code for shoot ability, velocity and high BC. I will be shooting suppressed (Hyperion K) with a 18-20” barrel. I don’t want to Fireform. Comparing the 108 vs 134 ELD-M the 25 has a pretty significant BC advantage. From anyone who has experience with both is there a measurable recoil increase with the 25’s? Pros and Cons of each? The ability to carry 1800 FPS to 900 yards is the goal with the best wind bucking characteristics. PRC brass seems to be more affordable and available. Talk me into one.
What are you planning on using it for?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s me. I shoot the 25 SST with 133 elite hunter.

The 25 magnum recoil is more than a 6 mm, but the trade off of recoil for reduced wind deflection past 500 was priority for what I wanted. With a suppressor and a light rifle the recoil is very manageable.

In my opinion, if you need to get more velocity with a 6mm than a 6 creedmoor to get ballistic performance, just go with the 25 magnum. You will get better performance.

I shoot a 6 BRA for hunts with high probability inside 600 yards. I shoot a 7 SS for stuff I know will require high probability of an opportunity past 700 yards. I would shoot the 25 on game out to 900 or 1000 depending on wind conditions.

Start with the max performance you want. If it’s past 500 yards, then pick the smallest bullet and cartridge that can get you there at about 3000-3100 fps muzzle velocity.

Doing the math, the 133 did it for me.

I’m a big 25cal fan. I think between the 133/135 Berger’s and 134 ELDM and a quality barrel/chamber it should shoot, so I’m not personally too worried about bullet availability but I also buy a barrels worth at a time.

I will say it’s harder to find fast twist 25 cal barrels in the contours I want. Probably easier to find 6mm barrels.

Personally 25 cal magnum is too much recoil for me but I don’t have a suppressor and refuse to use brakes.

Worse barrel life in the 6mm is a consideration depending on how you feel about that.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m a big 25cal fan. I think between the 133/135 Berger’s and 134 ELDM and a quality barrel/chamber it should shoot, so I’m not personally too worried about bullet availability but I also buy a barrels worth at a time.

I will say it’s harder to find fast twist 25 cal barrels in the contours I want. Probably easier to find 6mm barrels.

Personally 25 cal magnum is too much recoil for me but I don’t have a suppressor and refuse to use brakes.

Worse barrel life in the 6mm is a consideration depending on how you feel about that.

Without a suppressor or brake, recoil with a 25 mag will make it a consistent challenge requiring focus and a solid position to spot shots for me.

With a suppressor I still can’t get lazy with my position and recoil management with my 25 SST. I can get away with a lot more in my 6bra.

I have never shot a magnum in 6mm, but if the jump from 6bra to 6 creed based on powder charge is an indicator, I don’t think the recoil difference between 6 mag and 25 mag would be enough to notice with solid shooting technique between 6mm and 25mm.

But, I would shoot a 115 dtac or other non tipped bullet in a 6mm to get higher BC for shots past about 500 and a sturdier bullet at the high velocities inside 200 yards.

The difference would be less than 20 grains for the bullets I would run.

OP
Smenning

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider

The 25 magnum recoil is more than a 6 mm, but the trade off of recoil for reduced wind deflection past 500 was priority for what I wanted. With a suppressor and a light rifle the recoil is very manageable.

In my opinion, if you need to get more velocity with a 6mm than a 6 creedmoor to get ballistic performance, just go with the 25 magnum. You will get better performance.

I shoot a 6 BRA for hunts with high probability inside 600 yards. I shoot a 7 SS for stuff I know will require high probability of an opportunity past 700 yards. I would shoot the 25 on game out to 900 or 1000 depending on wind conditions.

Start with the max performance you want. If it’s past 500 yards, then pick the smallest bullet and cartridge that can get you there at about 3000-3100 fps muzzle velocity.

This is very helpful and makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Yeah I knew it was someone I see in the 25 cal conversation regularly but it was escaping me at the moment.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
I have (2) 25-260 creeds , 25 sherman and a 25 saum. 133, and 134's 3080-3300fps rifles are 8, 8.5 and 10lbs. Two share a suppressor and or a Salmon river 4 port self timer the other in a chassis has a poopy 2 port so it hops left when fired. None of them are bad as far as recoil goes the suppressed and 4 port rifles you can spot yourself. Rifles and 1000yd groups. No 25 saum in these pictures.

Attachments

• F5415934-4E53-4B3B-B4DA-6D23B6119B5A.jpg
    F5415934-4E53-4B3B-B4DA-6D23B6119B5A.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9973.jpg
    IMG_9973.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9983.jpg
    IMG_9983.jpg
    811.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9997.jpg
    IMG_9997.jpg