7 NR PP Wyoming?

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone, so I will have 7 non resident deer points going into next year's draw. I've done some reasearch and can't really figure out what to do. Seems like I have too many points for most Regions but maybe I'm reading the hunt planner wrong. If anyone has any suggestions on what unit would be best for my 7 points that would be appreciated.

KHNC

WKR
I doubt you have enough to draw Region G by next year. Not even sure what the Mule Deer status will even be this fall after the winter kill has been taken into account. Also, Not likely anyone is goin to post this type of info on public forum either.

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I prefer them not to post openly. I can check PM's.

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted elk withing Region G but never really saw many bucks. I was kinda suprised since this seems to be the hardest to draw area. I assume the bucks were at a higher elevation than I was hunting.

I would decide what type of hunt you want to do. Then figure out the type of terrain you want to do it in. Then figure out if there is public land or if you will have to hunt private. I would treat wilderness area like private in Wyoming since you need a guide or resident guide to hunt it as a non res.

Once you find a few areas on the map that have the type of area you are looking to hunt figure out what unit it's in. Then look and see what it takes to be able to hunt that area points wise. Once you have a few units/regions figured out I would call the bio and see what he has to say about the area.

wytx

WKR
Good bucks can be found even in marginal areas for trophy quality if you put in the work.
Find out where winterkill was worst this year, look over all the odds and then check on access issues in areas you could draw.
Some sleeper areas and regions with good mature bucks if you are willing to spend the time and effort to find them. Not all big bucks are in G or H.
Timing if the season is also a consideration, if not enough PPs for a rut timed hunt then look for seasons closest to the rut or pre rut.

Hi everyone, so I will have 7 non resident deer points going into next year's draw. I've done some reasearch and can't really figure out what to do. Seems like I have too many points for most Regions but maybe I'm reading the hunt planner wrong. If anyone has any suggestions on what unit would be best for my 7 points that would be appreciated.
I am in the exact same boat. I will have 8 points next year going into wyoming deer draw. I am actually not sure what I should do. I know G is well known and you can hunt it as hard as you want and have a chance at a good one. I am a DIY and I know not being able to go into the wilderness is something to consider. I hunt hard but not sure if anyone has any other thoughts on G vs H access or any of the other units. I will also have the chance to hunt Unit 38 for elk next year.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you have max points in Wyoming thier are no guarantees for anything. Had the point creep door slammed on me too many times. With the looming 90/10 split it will be bad for quite awhile

Unless you have max points in Wyoming thier are no guarantees for anything. Had the point creep door slammed on me too many times. With the looming 90/10 split it will be bad for quite awhile
Your very likely correct on that. Hope it works out on a decent hunt. G may not be the best option and there are big deer in all of them if you put the time and effort in. Ill have to do my research.

frogman43

FNG
Even with Max PP's for Deer, there are no guarantees. I had 17 points going into this years draw, been in since the beginning. I moved to Wyoming this Spring, so have to burn them before becoming a full-fledged Resident next year. Had to change my application due to winterkill and am hoping I draw with Max points in the new area. Historical data from last year regarding draw odds is out the window for this year because of the situation. Guess we'll see how it plays out in a couple weeks!

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like you’re in that middle ground where you could guarantee any of the low-mid tier regions, but not high enough for the couple super hard to draw regions.

Personally, I wouldn’t keep accumulating points, I’d hunt now. You can pick from a solid chunk of the state….like someone else said I’d figure out the type of hunt you want and go from there, don’t worry about wasting points or anything. There are good bucks in places that only take a couple points to draw…

Laramie

WKR
Prior to this winter I would have had some suggestions. With the winter kill across the Southern and Western ends of the state, applicants are going to become concentrated on the few remaining areas. I think you will be very surprised what happens to draw odds for next year. If I was in your shoes, I would wait a few more years honestly.