• 7mm SAUM

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • 7mm WSM

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters

rootacres

WKR
Hello All,

I was just curious if there is a noticeable difference in performance here? I plan on shooting bullets between 140gr and 170gr. I have a 7mm WSM now on a standard length BDL mag box. Its a little frustrating that to run some of the longer high bc bullets I run into mag box length issues. I don't want to go to a DBM setup on my hunting rig. So I was in the market for another barrel. I would think that with a 7 SAUM it would buy me some more length in the mag box to run some longer bullets. Is this the case? What would you all do?

EDIT: I should add that I am using a Bighorn Origin action, so the Wyatts extended mag box options are a no go. The only option I have is going with a DBM.

Last edited:

EmperorMA

WKR
I prefer the SAUM simply for the case design. I don't really care about a few fps one way or the other.

But, I also greatly prefer a DBM on any rifle, hunting or not.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you load, I recommend the 7 sherman short mag. It gives SAUM+ performance out of a short action. I run 180 vld in the SA magazine at 3050.

To run the heavy, high bc bullets in saum and wsm you really need to go long action. WSM just gets you more speed if you want that.

The 168 vld out of the saum short action is excellent for deer and adequate for elk. If you want more then either the 7 SS in sa or saum/wsm in long action.

Personally, the 168 vld out of the saum or 180 vld out of the 7 SS at about 3000+ fps is all a guy needs for hunting. Inside 700 they are hammers. The 180 gives you a little better wind past 700 and extended lethal terminal performance.

Using a standard short action mag box limits you in both a SAUM and WSM. A WSM will be limited more than a SAUM but would still be capable of more velocity than a SAUM with it's bigger case.

I'd at least get a bigger mag box. A 7SS would be most ideal but a SAUM or WSM are still potent at 2.950".

In the end, you can run long bullets in any of them with a wyatts mag box, it's just a matter of how short do you want to make your throat or are you ok with jumping a long way to the lands.

B23

WKR
Or, if this is a SA Rem 700 you could have the Wyatt's mid length kit modification done which allows a SA 700 to load and eject OAL 3.200+ I've talked to someone that went with Kevin Wyatt's mid length mod and they were very pleased with it.

If you click the link and scroll down the page Kevin has a video that explains how his mid length kit works in a SA Rem 700.

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
7 WSM has a short neck (which may adversely affect bullet alignment in bore). 7mm-300 WSM a better choice than straight 7 WSM.

That said, 7 SAUM has plenty of neck.

I'll second the 7mm Sherman Short as a great alternative to 7 SAUM

Depends what you want? More velocity or longer bullet?

I am sure there is a solution for the origin action to seat bullets out to at least 2.90..... have you called bighorn? Once you figure that out I would probably stick with the WSM for both velocity and longer bullets.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
7 WSM has a short neck (which may adversely affect bullet alignment in bore). 7mm-300 WSM a better choice than straight 7 WSM.

Thats one aspect I never really though of. Thanks

With the brass availability I think the SAUM is probably the route I will go.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
Depends what you want? More velocity or longer bullet?

I am sure there is a solution for the origin action to seat bullets out to at least 2.90..... have you called bighorn? Once you figure that out I would probably stick with the WSM for both velocity and longer bullets.

I basically just wanted to be able to load mid weight bullets and keep them in my BDL mag box. I was trying not to bump to a DBM which would get me to 2.955". . I want to push 140gr-150gr projectiles between 2950 fps and 3050 fps and load out to 2.86". As it stands right now with a 7mm WSM the 150gr ELDX are at about 2.95" to the lands. If I end up needing to go to a DBM I will. It does look like a SAUM will have slightly more forgiveness.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
If you load, I recommend the 7 sherman short mag. It gives SAUM+ performance out of a short action. I run 180 vld in the SA magazine at 3050.

To run the heavy, high bc bullets in saum and wsm you really need to go long action. WSM just gets you more speed if you want that.

The 168 vld out of the saum short action is excellent for deer and adequate for elk. If you want more then either the 7 SS in sa or saum/wsm in long action.

Personally, the 168 vld out of the saum or 180 vld out of the 7 SS at about 3000+ fps is all a guy needs for hunting. Inside 700 they are hammers. The 180 gives you a little better wind past 700 and extended lethal terminal performance.
Yeah, I was looking more in the intermediate weight range for the 7mm. That 140gr-170gr range, more realistically 140gr-150gr range. My long term plan is to have a second rifle built on a LA that is probably chambered in a 30 to push 190gr+ bullets. A 300 WSM on a LA sounds like an option but I am a little ways from that build. Im only planning on chasing deer sized game for 2021 so there's not much of a rush. The heaviest I went with my 7mm WSM was a 168gr berger classic hunter that basically needed to be loaded out to max SAAMI.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, I was looking more in the intermediate weight range for the 7mm. That 140gr-170gr range, more realistically 140gr-150gr range. My long term plan is to have a second rifle built on a LA that is probably chambered in a 30 to push 190gr+ bullets. A 300 WSM on a LA sounds like an option but I am a little ways from that build. Im only planning on chasing deer sized game for 2021 so there's not much of a rush. The heaviest I went with my 7mm WSM was a 168gr berger classic hunter that basically needed to be loaded out to max SAAMI.
SAUM for bullets that light unless you are a speed freak, lol. You should just do a 6.5 mm short mag if you are running the 140-150.

You will be very happy with ADG brass in 7 saum though. Its an easy button...

I basically just wanted to be able to load mid weight bullets and keep them in my BDL mag box. I was trying not to bump to a DBM which would get me to 2.955". . I want to push 140gr-150gr projectiles between 2950 fps and 3050 fps and load out to 2.86". As it stands right now with a 7mm WSM the 150gr ELDX are at about 2.95" to the lands. If I end up needing to go to a DBM I will. It does look like a SAUM will have slightly more forgiveness.
The 7 SAUM will accomplish what you want quite well.

Now if you had said you wanted the 180 eldm or 195 eol I would say the extra powder of the wsm would be worth it.

Last edited:

That short neck stuff is a myth, the straight 7 wsm is incredibly accurate and just as easy to tune as a saum.
What effects bullet alignment is crappy case resizing techniques
If you're not needing the wsm velocity for heavy bullets, and plan on shooting 140-150 grain bullets I'd recommend a 6.5 saum.
I get 3050 with 147 eldms and H1000 from a 25" 6.5 saum loaded 2.97 oal.
That 156 Berger would be awesome at 3000 fps

That short neck stuff is a myth, the straight 7 wsm is incredibly accurate and just as easy to tune as a saum.
What effects bullet alignment is crappy case resizing techniques

I’d definitely prefer a longer neck just for seating depth flexibility but you’re right. You wouldn’t see piles of dashers winning bench rest and prs matches if the short necks caused accuracy issues.

Why wouldn’t an origin work with a wyatts box bdl?

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
Why wouldn’t an origin work with a wyatts box bdl?

It does. It works with Wyatt’s SAAMI length box. The origin does not work with the extended boxes. Basically 2.86” is my max unless I go to a DBM.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Have it milled for a Wyatt’s box. If you go dbm you will probably have to mill a notch in the feed ramp anyways.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
SAUM for bullets that light unless you are a speed freak, lol. You should just do a 6.5 mm short mag if you are running the 140-150.

You will be very happy with ADG brass in 7 saum though. Its an easy button...
Its all theoretical for me right now on this next build. I liked having a 22" when I had my 7mm WSM so im trying to keep in mind that my velocities will be lower than most advertised expectations. Ultimately whatever shoots best is what I will use but I only plan on using this rifle for a coues hunt in 2021. The 140s and 150s would be fine there. Im thinking a 300 PRC or similar down the line.