700 platforms (Bergara, Christensen, Barret, ???)

I have had a Remington 700 since I was 18. I love the platform and have shot many animals with different rifles in the platform. Two position saftey, bolt does not lock, hinged floorplate, no magazine to lose. Simple and familiar.

I am now looking into getting a dedicated mountain rifle in similar platform. most likely SA 308 or 6.5.

I have owned a few Bergara b14s and like the quality, but how does christensen compare? Also looking at a barret fieldcraft or bergara premier mountain 2.0 on the top end of the budget. Not sure I can bite the bullet on an actual Remington with all the horror stories about quality in recent years, though that new model Seven SSHS looks like a potential contender. Part of me wants to just go with the no brainer tikka route as I have in the past but I hate those damn magazines.

Does anyone have any insight on Christensen quality compared to Bergara b14, Bergara premier, or the newer Remingtons? Any other sleeper factory offering I am missing of comparable quality? I would prefer to stay below the budget of a custom build.

Last edited:
I have a Barrett Fieldcraft. Damn nice rifle. Fully bedded and accurate. I was told they prefer heavier projectiles. Mine likes Federal 180 accubonds. Had a brake put on it by LRI.
Set the factory Timney trigger to 2lbs.
Light and handy. For a very light contour barrel it’s shoots very well.

83cj-7

WKR
Tikka: Top pick. I actually like the Tikka mag. It’s the best feeding magazine system out there, and I’ve messed with them all.
Bergara: All of the ones I have shot have been accurate, but maybe a bit inconsistent. Downside is that they are heavy.
Christensen: I went to a shop to buy one of these years back and was so disappointed when I tried to cycle the action from my shoulder. The bolt lift from a fired striker position is brutal. This is a major factor I look for in a bolt action rifle. It need to be smooth and somewhat effortless to cock the striker from a shoulderd position.

R700 is the only bolt action rifles I own...I have a '91 06 and '94 300 winmag ..I picked up a Fieldcraft 308 very similar to 700. The bolt is basically a 700 bolt with a sako extractor, 2 position safety, bolt release is actually better design. They do have blind magazine...my 300 WM was ADL till last year so that really doesn't bother me.

Bergara. Have you handled the premier mountain? It's a beaut. The premier action is superb, trigger Tech trigger best bolt action trigger IMHO and the AG carbon stock, can't beat it. I've owned several B-14s, and currently own a B14 Wilderness Ridge SP, but the highlight is my Premier Approach in 308 that I dropped in an AG Long Ranger Hunter carbon fiber stock. It drills 1/4" groups with Federal GMM if I'm on. Incredible gun. The quality far outpaces Christensen and the Premier rifles are a totally different beast from the B-14s. I wouldn't touch a new Remington of it were free. Bergara rifles are heavy overall, but the Mountain is the exception. Perfect lightweight hunting rifle. Silly that it's not threaded, but that's the only complaint I'd have.

Last edited:
I picked up a Christensen Mesa in 300 wm this summer. Much higher quality than my dads newer 700. Something about the composite stock over the plastic ones excites me. It has been shooting lights out. Was getting A zone hits at 622 yards all day this past Saturday. I hear some guys complain about the bolt lift being stiff, and if I’m sitting at home thinking about it I do notice what they are talking about. But running the bolt in the field, it is not even remotely noticeable and cycles extremely smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk