7mm rem mag 168gr Berger hybrid Hunter

KClark91

FNG
Looking for real world experience on the 7mm rem mag 168gr Berger hybrid Hunter. Not asking for the Vld or hypothetical reason for or against. I’ve shot several different rounds and this one was the most accurate/consistent by far and I can get it locally.

I’ve killed two mule deer and a whitetail with them. No complaints but I put one in the neck (md) and the other in the lower part of the front shoulder (wt) hitting bone on both, and there were definitely lead/copper fragments to deal with in surrounding meat. Better shot placement might reduce that. They are very accurate (consistent) and they killed with no concern.

165 gr Norma bondstrike were also very accurate but were unavailable until recently. I picked up 5 more boxes. I would not hesitate to use the bergers but I might try the Norma this year since I typically use a bonded bullet.

I’ve killed a couple of bulls with them in my old Tikka 7 rem, and a couple more with 168 VLDs. Didn’t see any real difference. Both kill spectacularly well on deer and elk in my experience. Distances varies from 50 yards to 600.

Dave

I’ve killed two mule deer and a whitetail with them. No complaints but I put one in the neck (md) and the other in the lower part of the front shoulder (wt) hitting bone on both, and there were definitely lead/copper fragments to deal with in surrounding meat. Better shot placement might reduce that. They are very accurate (consistent) and they killed with no concern.

165 gr Norma bondstrike were also very accurate but were unavailable until recently. I picked up 5 more boxes. I would not hesitate to use the bergers but I might try the Norma this year since I typically use a bonded bullet.
I’ve been looking at the 165 Bondstrike and the 160trophy bonded tip. But I have to order those online and I’d hate to pay out 60$ for a box that my rifle doesn’t like. I was able to get the hybrid Hunter for $35 a box and they were touching holes at $100. From what I’ve read they suggest trying to put behind shoulder into the ribcage and avoid the shoulder if possible

about a dozen elk, 2 dozen antelope and 3 dozen deer, have fell to that bullet, 80yds to 860 yds,
1 elk needed a second round, 7mag about 3130 muzzle velocity
must kills in the 350-500 yard area, it works great

about a dozen elk, 2 dozen antelope and 3 dozen deer, have fell to that bullet, 80yds to 860 yds,
1 elk needed a second round, 7mag about 3130 muzzle velocity
must kills in the 350-500 yard area, it works great
That’s with the hybrid Hunter? How’d it perform on shoulder and bone impact on the elk? That’s what I’ll be using if for and shots will all be under 500.

shot thru shoulder , area, scapula area just fine, lot of bloodshot when thats hit though, thru the ribs not much bloodshot, with the hybred hunter

I’ve been looking at the 165 Bondstrike and the 160trophy bonded tip. But I have to order those online and I’d hate to pay out 60$ for a box that my rifle doesn’t like. I was able to get the hybrid Hunter for $35 a box and they were touching holes at $100. From what I’ve read they suggest trying to put behind shoulder into the ribcage and avoid the shoulder if possible

That shot placement is the goal but it doesn’t always play out that way. It’s accurate and kills if that’s what you’re looking for. If you have a history of always placing your shot behind the front shoulder, lead fragments in the meat shouldn’t be an issue.

Back