7mm Rem Mag T3x SuperLite

Hi all! First time poster but I've been reading a lot of the threads on here and learning a ton (thank you everyone!).
I look forward to interacting more with everyone on these boards.

On to the questions, this could easily turn into a long post so I'll save more details for replies and try to keep it as simple as possible.

I have a Factory 7mm Rem Mag Tikka T3x SuperLite 24" Barrel 1:9.5" Twist that I want to use as my long range hunting rifle (generally >200 yards, max range TBD by my shooting capabilities and the rifle/bullets, ideally around 1MOA with a bullet that kills well).
Multiple big game species (British Columbia, Canada) as targets.

I am wondering if this rifle/barrel is capable of stabilizing and grouping heavier bullets (especially at extended ranges beyond 400yds) before I spend the money/time/effort reloading for it.

Can someone more experienced help me out with this? (I hope Form replies to this as I really enjoyed your other thread on your reloading method and it's how I plan to reload myself)

Potential bullets I'm looking at (I'm also open to advice on these or other options):
ELD-X 162gr, 175gr
ELD-M 162gr, 180gr
Accubond 160gr
Accubond LR 168gr, 175gr
Barnes LRX 168gr
Berger HVLD 168gr, 180gr
Berger Elite Hunter 175gr

Looking forward to some knowledgeable reloaders / hunters / shooters helping me out on this journey.
You shouldn’t have any problem stabilizing the 162 eld-x. You might could even get up to 175 grain bullets to stabilize but if you don’t want to waste the time and components, I would recommend staying around the 162 grain bullets and below. My load is 68.5 grains of reloder 26 with the 162 eld-x and it shoots lights out. I also use reloder 22 with excellent accuracy results but don’t remember how many grains off the top of my head. Good luck!

OP
V

Velecic

FNG
You shouldn’t have any problem stabilizing the 162 eld-x. You might could even get up to 175 grain bullets to stabilize but if you don’t want to waste the time and components, I would recommend staying around the 162 grain bullets and below. My load is 68.5 grains of reloder 26 with the 162 eld-x and it shoots lights out. I also use reloder 22 with excellent accuracy results but don’t remember how many grains off the top of my head. Good luck!
Thanks Country! Unfortunately I can't get either RL-26 or RL-22 right now so I'll have to settle for other powder options but I appreciate your information!

JGRaider

WKR
Powder Valley has Retumbo in stock, and it works great in my 7mags with 160gr bullets. I believe they waive hazmat today for cyber Monday.

OP
V

Velecic

FNG
Powder Valley has Retumbo in stock, and it works great in my 7mags with 160gr bullets. I believe they waive hazmat today for cyber Monday.
Thanks JG, I managed to snag a bunch of Retumbo from my local store here and will be trying it for sure.

Schwarz06

FNG
My Tikka 7 Rem Mag load is a 160 Accubond, RP brass, CCI 200 and 72 grains of MagPro. Bullet seated at Mag length. 3.330 COAL. If I recall, velocity is around 2950.

logem

FNG
Before you go too far down the rat hole of trying a lot of various powders and bullets, be sure that your shooting technique is using best practices. I do not know your abilities, but can give an example from myself to illustrate.

I started back into shooting a couple of years ago after about a 10-year break, and honestly had never developed a knowledge of proper shooting technique. I wasn't getting desirable groups (less than 1 moa) with my 7 Rem Mag. After a discussion with a competitive shooter at the range, I came home and did some online research about best practices when shooting from a bench, prone, etc. Basically, I had been clenching the fore-end of the rifle with my free hand and imparting error due to flinch and varied grip. Now, I don't touch the fore-end and let it rest on a bag, rest, or bipid. The next step was reducing barrel rise by proper body positioning. This worked significantly increased to about .8 moa.

Just a thought.

Last edited: