Elk Bullet for 7mm rem mag

Looking for advice/opinions on bullet selection for elk, out of my Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge 7mm rem mag. Currently my #1 option is 160 grain Accubond because I know it shoots well out of my gun, and from my understanding, is a good bullet for elk. The twist rate on this rifle is 1:9.5. True or not, I’ve been told this slow of a twist rate may not stabilize long bullets very well. If this is true, I may be limited to light for caliber bullets if I want a copper bullet. Any suggestions? I know I’ll have to try the reloads in my gun to be sure, just want to narrow down my options.

TxLite

WKR
My ridge loves 168 vld-h. I haven’t killed an elk with it, but it did go for couple long hikes in the elk woods with the intention of using it.

OP
T
160 gr. Accubond: You said it shoots well in your rifle. It's a great bullet that will penetrate and hold together well. Don't fix what aint broken.

150 gr. E-tip (Nosler): If you want to try reloading a mono.
This is the likely scenario, but I am curious about monos, especially if I hunt a state that doesn’t allow lead.

This is the likely scenario, but I am curious about monos, especially if I hunt a state that doesn’t allow lead.
Nosler 140 gr. or 150 gr. E-tip out of your rifle would perform very well for you. My son uses the 90 gr. E-tip in his 6mm Remington and it sure has been a performer. He's taken antelope, deer, and one elk with it and all have been one shot kills. They penetrate and hold together nicely.
Here's his first elk with his 6mm Remington. One shot at 350 yards with the 90 gr. E-tip, Entered tight behind her right shoulder and exited the center of her left shoulder. Bullet mushroomed nicely and penetrated very well. She staggered about 20 yards and tipped over.
1711397617405.png
Here's the E-tip out of his rifle shot into gallon water jugs lined up testing for expansion, penetration, and weight retention.
1711397784423.png

WCB

WKR
9.5 twist is a common twist for 7rem....I would recommend the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 160 gr. I shoot that bullet through 6 different calibers and rifles and shoots great in all of them. Accubonds however, will get the job done.

Not a mono guy so have no real world recommendations.

I shoot the Hornady 162gr ELD-M bullets in my 7RM and they kill things in quick fashion. ELD-M not ELD-X.

My results since switching to them

Looking for advice/opinions on bullet selection for elk, out of my Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge 7mm rem mag. Currently my #1 option is 160 grain Accubond because I know it shoots well out of my gun, and from my understanding, is a good bullet for elk. The twist rate on this rifle is 1:9.5. True or not, I’ve been told this slow of a twist rate may not stabilize long bullets very well. If this is true, I may be limited to light for caliber bullets if I want a copper bullet. Any suggestions? I know I’ll have to try the reloads in my gun to be sure, just want to narrow down my options.
If you're looking for a mono, give hornady outfitter ammo a try. Uses 150gr CX. They've shot well out of everything I own.

OP
T
Depending on what kind of ranges you plan on shoot 160 partitions are absolute hammers on elk
500-600 yards would likely be my max unless I can get comfortable past that. But i honestly don’t want to shoot farther than that unless it’s a wounded animal.

OP
T
I shoot the Hornady 162gr ELD-M bullets in my 7RM and they kill things in quick fashion. ELD-M not ELD-X.

My results since switching to them
I have no doubt that they work great but personally I would prefer a “tougher” bullet. I have killed a few whitetails with the eld-m out of my 6.5 cm and they worked great.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve been super slow to change, because the 160 gr Partition was always good at killing anything you point it at. With two decades of solid track record, switching to the Accubond is now a no brainer and I have yet to meet a former Partition shooter that doesn’t like the Accubond.

OP
T
I’ve been super slow to change, because the 160 gr Partition was always good at killing anything you point it at. With two decades of solid track record, switching to the Accubond is now a no brainer and I have yet to meet a former Partition shooter that doesn’t like the Accubond.
Good to hear. Anything in particular that you like better about the accubond over the partition?

TaperPin

WKR
Good to hear. Anything in particular that you like better about the accubond over the partition?
I would have happily stayed with the Partition, except the BC is not great, .475 vs .531

Even out to 500 yards it probably doesn’t matter enough to switch, but anything longer and it really shows up.