7STW and Nosler Accubond Long Range

wapitibob

WKR
Some history:
I spent a year trying to get this factory Rem 700 to shoot. Best it ever did was 2"+ at 200 yards, 73 gr RL25 and .015" off the lands. That was with Berger 180's. Every other bullet shot no better than 4" at 100 and some (Barnes) were 6", very frustrating to say the least. I put several hundred rounds thru it trying to find a load. I finally gave up and bought a Brux #5 this spring and waited till I could true the action. I had a local guy do the action, chamber/cut/and crown the barrel. Turn around was less than a week and less than $300. I had previously bedded the factory action and didn't rebed after the work, Gene only took .001" off the lug and .001 off the action face so I wasn't real worried about it. I put one shot thru it, cleaned it, put another one thru it, cleaned again, then 2 more shots. Took it home and cleaned it again. That was the last time I've seen blue on a patch. I took it back out to the range along with the wife and sighted it in using the same 180 Berger load as with the factory barrel. Chamber was slightly different so I had to run them back thru the seater so they would be .015" off the lands. I shot 3 and the wife shot 2, ending up with 3/4" for me and 1" for her, at 200 yards. Not too bad considering what I had seen for the last year.

first 200 yard groups with the new Brux:
attachment.php

This weekend, I re bedded the action in the Greybull stock and put my Greybull scope back on it. I switched to a Nightforce Direct Base and bedded that too. I also cleaned the gun and again, not a bit of blue on a patch and there were 20+ shots down the tube. I took my daughter out today and put one shot thru it, cranked the windage, then handed it to her. Same Berger load as before, no development at all. This is her first ever group with the rifle at 100 yards.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I bought a cpl boxes of the new Accubond LR 175's last week and last night loaded up a few to see how they would shoot. I used the same load as the Bergers and guessed at the seating of .015" off the lands, I didn't get a solid measurement. I shot a cpl Berger's at 200 yards to get close to the dot and then shot these three Accubond LR's:

attachment.php

I didn't get down to the nitty gritty but it's less than .600" at 200. To say I'm pleased with the Brux barrel and Gene Caron's gunsmithing would be an understatement. These Accubond LR are proving to shoot better than the Bergers which is what I have read lately too.

Last edited:

Beastmode

WKR
They shoot good but we shot them in to a matrix box and to say the least I am no longer shooting them. The bullet did not retain its weight at all. With very little penetration.

OP
W

wapitibob

WKR
I have seen some saying they're skittish above 3000 fps and the small hollow point behind the tip may be causing them to grenade when hitting close to that 3000 fps upper limit.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's a good shooting rifle now Bob! Did you go with 1:9 twist on the new tube?

I got some nice groups out of the 168's out of my STW over 75 grains of H1000. I have not tried the 175's yet. Be interesting to hear how they perform on game. Hope to find out soon - I'll be heading to hills for wolf soon!

Coop

OP
W

wapitibob

WKR
yep, 1:9
I loaded up 20 of the 175's in annealed brass to shoot at 400 and 600 but the weather has been too crappy to get out. Hopefully by the weekend I will know if they're the real deal.