7wt or 8wt fly rod; I have 5wt’s

Roughout

FNG
Streamer junkier here. I think I’d vote a fast 7wt, probably 9’ for traveling ease. I have many rods, prefer Scott’s. Which are made in Montrose CO. Can’t beat TFO customer service, I feel like their rods are a half rod stiffer than advertised or a 7 feels more like an 8 than a 7.

On topic of CO made reels- also in Montrose is the Able and Ross factory. Other American made Hatch and Galvan. Really comes to budget and personal preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
Streamer junkier here. I think I’d vote a fast 7wt, probably 9’ for traveling ease. I have many rods, prefer Scott’s. Which are made in Montrose CO. Can’t beat TFO customer service, I feel like their rods are a half rod stiffer than advertised or a 7 feels more like an 8 than a 7.

On topic of CO made reels- also in Montrose is the Able and Ross factory. Other American made Hatch and Galvan. Really comes to budget and personal preferences.

Totally agree on TFO stiffness. I have one of their 9 weights that will throw 12 weight line with no problem.
I wouldn’t sweat the reel too much. Fly reel drag is not a big deal until you are dealing with big fish.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Damn. I hope you are wrong. I have 2 Orvis rods and they both state MADE IN USA. I thought is was NH or somewhere in the Northeast. I would NOT have purchased if they weren't made here. I'm gonna say to market and stamp gear MADE IN USA and be fraudulently making it overseas would have to carry a penalty of some sort.

To say they are the "Vortex" of fly rods-nah man. That's going way too far. They make top line quality fly gear. The clothing is def not my style, but were talking fly rods.

I was wrong, I guess their lower end models are made in China but the higher end ones are still made in the USA.

I’d still prefer a Winston, sage or a loop over an orvis though, orvis as a whole just reeks of yuppie weekend warriors to me, and a guy I know that I have absolutely zero respect for always shows up tricked out in full orvis gear.

the older CFO reels that were made in England were great, I just looked thinking I may actually buy one but it dosent look like they are offered any more. I did just see that the Ross gunnison reels have been re worked into larger arbor versions of the original so I just ordered one of those. I’ve always been a big fan of Ross reels.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I was wrong, I guess their lower end models are made in China but the higher end ones are still made in the USA.

I’d still prefer a Winston, sage or a loop over an orvis though, orvis as a whole just reeks of yuppie weekend warriors to me, and a guy I know that I have absolutely zero respect for always shows up tricked out in full orvis gear.

the older CFO reels that were made in England were great, I just looked thinking I may actually buy one but it dosent look like they are offered any more. I did just see that the Ross gunnison reels have been re worked into larger arbor versions of the original so I just ordered one of those. I’ve always been a big fan of Ross reels.
I hear ya-they do seem to have a real hippie vibe that I don’t care for. Other thing is, my rods are prob 15 years old and maybe they do outsource now, wouldn’t know. My next rod will peob be a Sage-heard plenty of good things 👍

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a 7wt 9’ SAGE rod that I originally bought when I lived in Colorado, and I kept right on using when I moved to Alaska over thirty years ago.

I am an avid Alaskan fly fisher, and that 7wt is the only rod that I have used up here all these years with one exception that is mentioned later. I packraft some of the best fishing waters in our state (sockeye, silvers, rainbows, char, dollies, etc., and I have never felt like I needed an 8 or 9wt. I do also have a SAGE four-piece 4wt that I take backpacking for grayling.

I think you would see more wide use from a 7wt.

i still use a 5wt a lot here in AK, I love it for rainbows and grayling. I have an 8wt and it works great for pike fishing and silvers.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I’ve never been a huge Abel fan, I’ve used them and while they are nice, they are absurdly overpriced for what you actually get, my buddy has one that has a rainbow trout paint job, he paid like 900 dollars for it and I don’t think it performs any better than reels costing 1/2 the price.

mice always been a big Ross fan, they are what I grew up using, I’ve found that the animas model compares really well against everything in the 3-500 dollar range while costing about 300 dollars, I have at least 2 of them around. Galvan reels are also nice, but I don’t like the drag on them, it’s just a personal preference thing though. For the money and longetivity, I’m all in with Ross reels.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never been a huge Abel fan, I’ve used them and while they are nice, they are absurdly overpriced for what you actually get, my buddy has one that has a rainbow trout paint job, he paid like 900 dollars for it and I don’t think it performs any better than reels costing 1/2 the price.

mice always been a big Ross fan, they are what I grew up using, I’ve found that the animas model compares really well against everything in the 3-500 dollar range while costing about 300 dollars, I have at least 2 of them around. Galvan reels are also nice, but I don’t like the drag on them, it’s just a personal preference thing though. For the money and longetivity, I’m all in with Ross reels.
I have two Abels. Great reels but absolutely overpriced. I got both at cost because they sat on the fly shop shelf for a couple years with no takers. Never had a Ross but know guys who swear by them. I’ve caught plenty of fish on a Lamson Konic that cost well under 200 bucks.
No one mentioned Bauer. I have one and it’s a very nice reel.

schmalzy

WKR
Never used for freshwater but a Sage X is about as good as it gets for an 8 wt from my experience. Fast but not a broomstick. It’s just a great rod. Haven’t casted a 7 but from
Guys I talked to that have them it’s a great rod too. If you travel and fish for other species I’d be lookin hard at an X in 8.

Like anything, I think it comes down to casting/fishing style and what line you prefer.

As far as reels go, Nautilus I think is best bang for buck on quality/made In USA/value.

Vandy321

WKR
I have two Abels. Great reels but absolutely overpriced. I got both at cost because they sat on the fly shop shelf for a couple years with no takers. Never had a Ross but know guys who swear by them. I’ve caught plenty of fish on a Lamson Konic that cost well under 200 bucks.
No one mentioned Bauer. I have one and it’s a very nice reel.

Ross and Abel are made by the same company. Cant go wrong with either.

I've got a native brown trout painted Abel T/R...because for a 5 wt, click and pawl is awesome, and it was a fathers day gift I'll hand down to my boy.

If I was going sealed drag, I'd spend my $$ on a hatch.

eamyrick

WKR
Orvis rods are fine. Used a ton over the past few years and have broke a few but also broke a Scott. I would go fast action fighting butt 6wt for your application. With proper form a 6 will throw as far as an 8 or 9 the difference with the higher weights being fish fighting ability.

For fresh water I use old school Ross reels. For salt or all around I’m 100% a Galvan man.

Doc. I wouldn’t argue with you a 7 and your experience. Undoubtedly we’ve fished the same water but most folks who come up here the first time with a seven get their but handed to them. No reflection on our esteemed O/P, I think a seven is great down south. 👍😎

Damn. I hope you are wrong. I have 2 Orvis rods and they both state MADE IN USA. I thought is was NH or somewhere in the Northeast. I would NOT have purchased if they weren't made here. I'm gonna say to market and stamp gear MADE IN USA and be fraudulently making it overseas would have to carry a penalty of some sort.

To say they are the "Vortex" of fly rods-nah man. That's going way too far. They make top line quality fly gear. The clothing is def not my style, but were talking fly rods.

The more expensive rods are 100% made in Manchester VT, I think the recon line is made in Korea

My personal rods are Winston and Sage combined with Hatch reels. My working rods cover the spectrum of the budget priced from Echo to Sage. Rookies to experienced fishermen, Reds (sockeye) kill a lot of 8wts. 17 last year 15 this year. Warranties are great but I’ll never have the rod back in time for silvers.
probably the best budget priced reel I’ve used are the Guru 2.
figure three weeks of reds followed by three weeks of silvers minimum 5fish a day, reality is many more, at a minimum the reels will be into their backing a thousand times a season. The GURUS are into their second season and doing great. I’ll buy a bunch more at 200 a copy.
love big streamers. Have fun, fish often.

Attachments

• CFC66D75-B4F2-4AC8-9A4F-79A746DF4048.jpeg
    CFC66D75-B4F2-4AC8-9A4F-79A746DF4048.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 11
  • F339F1AF-DCC3-4575-907B-6C772ECB38BE.jpeg
    F339F1AF-DCC3-4575-907B-6C772ECB38BE.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 11

Popx5

FNG
I have a tfo mangrove 8 wt and am very happy with it. Probably a bit over kill for the purpose you are intending. A 7 is probably a better choice. Also look a echo. Galvan reels are solid.

Vandy321

WKR
OP didnt say a price range, but if it's just a dedicated streamer rod...the Moonshine Rods - Drifter gets pretty dang good reviews for a fast action 10ft 7wt at $199. Even comes with 2 tip sections for that price.

I'm a big T&T Avantt and Exocett fan, but they dont offer a 10ft 7wt...if you go 9ft, look at T&T and compare to the top of the line Sage / Loomis offerings.

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
Orvis out. I know enough of you use gear hard and even one mention of vortex and breaking and I am out. I am more of a kifaru and Swarovski guy.

I am leaning towards the sage X and in 7wt. Ross reel with rio line (of course), unless anyone has another reel suggestion.
Don’t believe all the Orvis haters. Cast a few and make up your own mind. I’ve encountered MANY experienced anglers who have changed their tune about Orvis after casting the Helios 3. I’ve got the 6 and 7 in the F model and they are fantastic. I’ve also got a 9wt recon which is hard to beat in the mid class range. Not saying you won’t still choose a Scott or Winston or a sage, etc, but the new Orvis USA rods are worth a look and are NOT junk. Im not a fanboy either- I’ve got a few high end rods from Scott and Sage as well. There are great deals on lightly used rods on a few Facebook pages if you don’t want to spend 1000 bucks on a new premium rod.

Anyway, that X will be a fine choice. I’ve got the 10 footer in a 4 weight, great rod. Had the 8Wt too but traded for a Meridian which I casted slightly better. Agree with the 7wt - Perfect size for big water streamer trout and can double as a light presentation flats rod.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
OP didnt say a price range, but if it's just a dedicated streamer rod...the Moonshine Rods - Drifter gets pretty dang good reviews for a fast action 10ft 7wt at $199. Even comes with 2 tip sections for that price.

I'm a big T&T Avantt and Exocett fan, but they dont offer a 10ft 7wt...if you go 9ft, look at T&T and compare to the top of the line Sage / Loomis offerings.

ive got a moonshine outcast, it’s a decent rod for the $$$ but like most rods in that price range it’s not built properly with the spine etc. it works fine and I’ve caught a lot of fish on it but it’s a 200 dollar rod.

that being said, I have a moonshine spinning rod and it’s fantastic.