8 twist 243win vs 6mm creed

Looking at a tikka t3 8 twist 243. Plan is to shoot 103 or 108eldm. I do reload. I guess my question is, re barrel another t3 to 6 creed or will the 243 do the same. I understand the premium ammo availability for the 6 creed, and lack of any of the long high BC factory loaded stuff for the 243, but....?

The 243 will easily do the same. You'll burn a bit more powder, but that's about it. The real drawback to a 243 with heavier bullets has been space in an internal magbox and a factory barrel offering that was twisted right to take advantage of the heavier bullets. With Tikka offer the 1:8 twist, and you reloading, I see no reason to rebarrel until you shoot out the 243 barrel.

FWIW, I do reload, but have less and less time to do so these days. I put a 6CM barrel on my Tikka only to give me the opportunity to get quality factory ammo if I needed to in a pinch.

atmat

WKR
If they had a fast twist 243 when I rebarreled (and if I reloaded), I’d have just gone with that instead of a 6cm.

You won’t get much money back on the 243 takeoff, and you’ll pay >$500 for a new barrel. Plus you either take it to a smith or buy tools to rebarrel.

So going with 243 and loading yourself is the easy solution

The Guide

WKR
The 6CM and the 243 Win are very similar. If you stay with the 243 the case design means you will have to trim and anneal more often. 6CM means a new barrel and more cost. With an 8 twist on the 243 and the ability to get longer mags and bolt stops and hand loading you could get your chamber made to a 243 AI and then you have more horse power than a 6CM plus a better case design than the old style bottle neck 243.

Jay

Wapiti1

WKR
If you handload, I would go with the Tikka. No downside, IMO. The Guide has a good suggestion as well if you like something a little more spicy. or 6mm Rem AI, or 6mm-284. All easy to fit on that action without a barrel swap.

Jeremy

You load so you can make the most out of the 8 twist Tikka and it makes sense to go that route for the easy button of a factory rifle, but rebarreling I'd go 6 creed all day and that's coming from someone that shot 243 in PRS for years and stuck with it long after the 6 creed was well established with brass and stuff. As mentioned there's less trimming with creed and it's just easier to load for and more consistent. Both will torch a throat about equally.

OP
B
Definitely wouldn't replace the 243 barrel unless it needed it. Already have a couple 243s that I load for, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

atmat

WKR
Definitely wouldn't replace the 243 barrel unless it needed it. Already have a couple 243s that I load for, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.
That’s the idea. Shoot it out, then decide if you want a 6creed for fun.

Even then, you’ll be able to occasionally grab 243 takeoffs here for cheap. Obviously don’t get that privilege with a 6cm.