$82k- edit; for a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

I needed a new truck this year and couldn't stomach the price... I took my old 2012 F150 that I bought with 9k miles on it in 2013 and had a new engine, front-end, bearings, brakes, tranny, u joints, literally EVERYTHING but a transfer case. and diffs. Even got a new bumper and 13K winch.... $26,000 Couldn't be happier, even have a detail being done in a couple weeks. Well worth the money

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I had just edited my post, but decided to make a new one as someone had already liked it and they may not want to be associated with this soap box.

A local dealer has a Renegade Altitude 4x4.with a sticker price of $35,979. Add 6k for a short notice first class plane ticket, 10k for a very comfortable drive from Soldotna, AK to anywhere in the lower 48, and figure 2 weeks of unpayed vacation at 10K and she would have saved 20K and gotten an adventure to boot. Lets ignore the fact that I have flown short notice coach for $400 and driven from Anchorage to Arkansas for under $1500 to include tire change over (winter trip) and oil change and made the drive solo in under 5 days.

Or, just figure 4k to ship it and she would have saved 42K.

What young people are to do is abandon the example of the old and stop being lazy and playing victim by blaming the outcome of lazy ignorance on "policy." If more people would do that, we would have less bad policy because practically no one who has been elected in the past 30 years would have been elected by a responsible electorate.

I think this is a miss type, I assume Beendare ain't super familiar with jeeps, I'm a former jeep guy and don't know all the names.

A current Rubicon model has MSRP north of 90k, I assume this is likely the model he is referring to. Seems cool, a hemi 392, 460hp in a kinda small vehicle.

Not $90k cool, but people pay it, so I can't fault them. It's like having a Mercedes, or BMW, vehicles are just tools to me.

Yoder

WKR
How about people start living within their means. I read an article about what financial experts say you should spend on a vehicle. They recommended not spending more than 35% of your gross income. So unless your friends wife is making $240k/year, she spent too much. I have this weird thing where this actually makes me angry. It's none of my business what other people do and if it makes them happy that's great. I think it pisses me off so much that people are feeding into this. Inflation is not why vehicles cost so much. The reason they cost so much, is people are willing to pay it. I can't even imagine being enslaved to paying off an $83k vehicle. Imagine what you could do with that extra money.

Yoder

WKR
Here in Alaska the used stuff is just as bad or worse.
I've been looking at Nissan Pathfinders between 2009-2012. All have about 100k miles for around $15k. I could buy almost 6 of them for the price of the Jeep.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I hadn't really thought about it much before, but a few months ago I started thinking about what I have paid for vehicles in my lifetime. I am going on 58 and have been legally driving for 42 years. In those 42 years I had spent a total of $27,800. Now mind you, my 34 year old Toyota 4x4 was my sole vehicle for years. Prior to that I had a couple beater cars that got me through college and then finally into the new Toyota. Then I picked up my used F-350 in 2008 when diesel was over $5/gal. 15 years later and it's still running strong, along with the Toyota.

Then just recently I bought a Tundra with 53k miles on it. Now, my total in a lifetime so far is still under $60k and I haven't had a car payment since 1992. I just shake my head every time I see these recent new vehicle prices.......trucks over $80k, and even $100k. And the art of negotiating now seems to be a thing of the past because everyone is willing to pay MSRP, and the auto corporations and dealers know that. The funny thing though, is that a lot of the folks that pay that......are the same ones that complain about the big bad greedy corporations. And they've willingly jumped right into their laps. SMH

But ya, inflation hurts and greed knows no bounds. Companies are taking full advantage of that. It is hard to comprehend though how so many folks are able to make all this work these days. I looked up a buddy's house in San Diego (north county) the other day and the valuation was listed at $2.25 million. He was the first one that bought in that development when it was just dirt. Then I saw that multiple homes on his street had sold for $2M+ just in the last few months. People are selling........but that means that people are also buying at these prices. The property taxes alone by month are more than our total monthly house payment. Crazy.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Bought a '21 Frontier 4wd last year, with 6,700 miles. Was all mine
when I left the lot.
Salesman said it was crazy at the numbers of people that leave their dealership
with 1500-1800$ truck payments.
I just cant comprehend getting in that kind of debt for a vehicle.
Course, I cant comprehend a lot of things people do.

JAM7

FNG
I have been trying to buy a Ford Bronco since the new sixth generation was announced in 2020. I will be finally taking delivery in the next few weeks as my rig is currently in a train yard in Omaha. When it does arrive, it will have a window sticker price of $47k. Fortunately Ford and my dealer are honoring the original invoice price from back in 2020 when I first ordered, $38k.

That $9k or 24% delta in less than three years illustrates the economic disaster we’re all dealing with due to the current administration’s policies.

Note I ordered the Bronco model that I thought maximized the off-roading capability, while minimized the technology, driving Nannie’s, and passenger comforts. If I could, I would order a new car with ZERO microchips, but that ship has sailed.

I paid $27k for a 2010 Tundra SR5 Crewcab 4x4 with 22,000 miles and brand new Yokohama tires in 2013. A similar three year old Tundra now is like $45k. 66% price increase for an identical power train. $60k+ to get into a new, modern one. I just can’t fathom either of those options.

126k on mine at the moment. The way things are going, I’ll be driving that for 10 more years.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the old lady a $83,000 CAD Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. 0% financing

Yes its a depreciating asset, but we needed a new vehicle and I wasnt paying 50-60K for a used vehicle when I could buy a new one with warranty and the updated body style / features. Having the assisted driving feature is awesome and the vehicle will even brake itself if anything gets in front of it. Its much safer than the older stuff.

AZ8

WKR
I needed a new truck this year and couldn't stomach the price... I took my old 2012 F150 that I bought with 9k miles on it in 2013 and had a new engine, front-end, bearings, brakes, tranny, u joints, literally EVERYTHING but a transfer case. and diffs. Even got a new bumper and 13K winch.... $26,000 Couldn't be happier, even have a detail being done in a couple weeks. Well worth the money
Yeah me too. Would like to get a new one myself, but wow on the prices! So that plan is now on hold.

So I’ll continue to drive my 2004 Silverado and hope for the best.

Gone4Days

WKR
I’m 45 years old, debt free. Have never bought a new car in my life. Most i’ve ever spent on a vehicle was my used Duramax in 2012 for $19,500. Paid cash for my last 3 vehicles and set to retire in 5 years at age 50 on a public servant’s salary. Yeah, I don’t drive fancy trucks but I’m not a slave to my payments.

Ya know, if a manufacturer was able to produce a US compliant vehicle (another topic probably, so many regs) and build a 4WD crew cab truck, 4WD SUV, and a decent sized mid size car, one option package, maybe even only one color, and keep costs to between 15-30k, with modern specs and tech, as well as manufacturing practices, with centrally located manufacturing plants and distribution centers (all to limit overhead, costs, and simplify logistics) I can't help but think it would not only be profitable, but they'd sell like hotcakes. Something along the lines of the modern day Model T.

kkp005

WKR
The market is settling down a little bit.
I ordered a 2022 f250 king ranch with the 6.7 diesel in August of 2021. It was delivered in October of 2021 and after rebates and invoice pricing I paid 72.5k .. Hardly paid any taxes because they gave me 68 for my trade in f250.

In April of 2022 the f250 market was CRAZY so on a whim I put my truck on Craigslist. A dealer in Dallas gave me $92,500 for my used truck 🤣🤣.

I’ve got an old dodge 3500 diesel I can use to pull stuff with and have a Honda accord for a commuter car.

Ended up ordering a cheap little ford maverick for 29k and I’m very happy with it. Don’t think I’ll ever own another 70k plus vehicle ever again

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Ya know, if a manufacturer was able to produce a US compliant vehicle (another topic probably, so many regs) and build a 4WD crew cab truck, 4WD SUV, and a decent sized mid size car, one option package, maybe even only one color, and keep costs to between 15-30k, with modern specs and tech, as well as manufacturing practices, with centrally located manufacturing plants and distribution centers (all to limit overhead, costs, and simplify logistics) I can't help but think it would not only be profitable, but they'd sell like hotcakes. Something along the lines of the modern day Model T.
I think most people would turn their nose up at it. Most of the cost is people wanting big and comfort when it is not needed. Plus, in the US vehicle's are status symbols.

I guess the best argument against the above is Toyota, boring, old technology, not fast enough, too small, Etc that people say about their vehicles, but they are some of the best selling. Perhaps, I am too pessimistic.

big44a4

WKR
Most young people can’t afford it. They can make the payments and are banking on student loan bail outs etc.

I don’t mind other peoples spending habits. It “keeps the economy going” while I’m only an asset to my family. Yes it does impact the market when I’ll need to buy a new vehicle but I’ll pay cash and find a deal on low mileage used.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
It’s tough for us in the rust belt to hold onto vehicles.
My 2004 trailblazer is one speed bump away from breaking in half due to the rust.
All my new vehicles I have been treating with fluid film hoping to hold off the rust.

Yoder

WKR
I think most people would turn their nose up at it. Most of the cost is people wanting big and comfort when it is not needed. Plus, in the US vehicle's are status symbols.

I guess the best argument against the above is Toyota, boring, old technology, not fast enough, too small, Etc that people say about their vehicles, but they are some of the best selling. Perhaps, I am too pessimistic.
They make their money on the options. All the electronics are actually relatively cheap. Backup cameras, blind side detection, navigation all together cost probably a couple hundred bucks. They add $10k to the vehicle price. The only people I feel bad for are people that actually NEED a truck. My family are contractors and they actually need a truck for work. They could care less about anything other than AC, 4wd and a radio.

MattB

WKR
How about people start living within their means. I read an article about what financial experts say you should spend on a vehicle. They recommended not spending more than 35% of your gross income. So unless your friends wife is making $240k/year, she spent too much. I have this weird thing where this actually makes me angry. It's none of my business what other people do and if it makes them happy that's great. I think it pisses me off so much that people are feeding into this. Inflation is not why vehicles cost so much. The reason they cost so much, is people are willing to pay it. I can't even imagine being enslaved to paying off an $83k vehicle. Imagine what you could do with that extra money.
The OP explicitly stated she could afford it. Rather than making a false assumption and using that as the basis for a rant, you could have started (and finished) your post with "it's none of my business what other people do...".

Last edited: