8x vs 10x vs 12x Binoculars

Cody_W

WKR
Clearly this is highly subjective, and though 8s are the best for handholding, there has never been a time in all my years hunting I where I couldn’t prop up on something if I needed to be more steady, whether it be a tree, my leg, a rock, holding my hat, or obviously a tripod. If I were to come across this scenario, a LRF would solve that issue.

A set of 10s is a great compromise, but in an open area like much of the areas out west for rifle that extra power of 12s sure is nice. I personally prefer a pair of both 10s and 12s, depending upon the hunt. 8s serve no purpose for my style though.

Fatcamp

WKR
I'm still not sold on 8x, but the reason I wanted to give them a go wasn't because of my first day but my third. As the days go on it gets harder and harder to keep them steady. With fatigue it seems easier to keep the lower power still when moving and glassing, which is how I like to hunt.

Siggy111

FNG
I grab my 12’s now for everything. 8’s work great in the woods, but with my 12’s being damn near the same size, they are by my side where ever I go. With a tripod, my spotter stays at home unless I’m glassing very large fields or vast, open areas. To each their own.

Firehawk

WKR
I'm still not sold on 8x, but the reason I wanted to give them a go wasn't because of my first day but my third. As the days go on it gets harder and harder to keep them steady. With fatigue it seems easier to keep the lower power still when moving and glassing, which is how I like to hunt.

This is exactly why I moved to the 8x (now 9x) bino. i could hold anything still in perfect conditions, but the reality is that I rarely find myself hunting in perfect conditions. Hope that makes sense.

Trevor.b

FNG
Thanks for all the info. I’ve personally been really trying to chew over the perfect size for myself. I think I’d like to try 10x with a spotter and tripod in my pack. Any input on objective lens size, 40 vs 50?

has530

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info. I’ve personally been really trying to chew over the perfect size for myself. I think I’d like to try 10x with a spotter and tripod in my pack. Any input on objective lens size, 40 vs 50?
depends on the mag you want to take it to but I would recommend at least 50mm aperture for a spotter. Especially if you will be glassing in timber I have found 40mm just isn't enough to take you much past 30x without a dim degraded image (without spending ridiculous amounts of money as swaro and I'm sure other alpha scopes would be fine).

has530

Lil-Rokslider
Unless I misinterpreted and you were asking about objective size for the bins. Then its just a tradeoff. 50mm bins will typically add at least an inch in every dimension and 8 oz and tend to feel more front heavy and less balanced in my hand, but also the added light gathering will extend your glassing time (for me about 15 min longer past sunset). To me it's not worth it and I live and die by 8x42's in the forest but some people love and will swear by their 10x50s (or even bigger).

Mojave

WKR
I use a pair of 8x56 Minox, 10x50 Bushnell Elite's and a pair of 12x50 Swarovski EL's.

The 12x Swaros suck to use hand held.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
8’s for me if I had to choose only one, if all’s equal meaning apparent fov and glass then 10 and 12 only have 1 advantage, the extra power. 8’s of the same obj size, again all else being equalwill be brighter, be more forgiving, have a better fov, have a better dof, show less haze/mirage, and be more forgiving.

Even in big country a 10 for me just isn’t enough over an 8 to warrant. 12 and 15s are another story but again, tripods and size come into play minus the nl. That said I use 10’s a ton.

Thing is I can use 8’s anywhere from woods to big country, yeah 12’s are better but not necessarily needed, now try a 12 in some think stuff or in bad mirage, no a great experience. 8’s also have that wow factor higher power just can’t produce imo, again all things being equal.