A Chugach Ram Tale!

OP
Elkmasterwyo
With regards to the breakage of the bolt and the rear sight...

The cargo hold is not heated and the temperature changes very aggressively as the plane ascends and descends. This aggressive freeze / thaw cycle is causing brittle fracture of the metal. (The speed of the exterior temperature changes of the metal relative to the interior (core) temperature of the metal is changing so fast that the metal is expanding and contracting at the exterior surface at a much greater rate than the interior and any imperfection in the metal (or the joint of the two metals in the case of the rear sight) are being exposed as brittle fracture failure.) Normal gradual temperature changes would not manifest this brittle fracture process.

This could be the case with his sight, but I know for certain mine was from abuse. As metal was gouged, the case was dented and the bolt handle was "twisted" from the bolt.

mmw194287

WKR
Yea, my rear sight didn't break at a joint--it was a single piece of metal that was bent and snapped. The whole thing was torqued. It didn't just crack and it didn't break at the dovetail. I've also had a .308 knocked around so badly the scope rattled when you shook the rifle (that was with a non-Pelican case).

I've wondering about vibrations and freezing, etc. (and I don't consider myself a paranoid person), but I've never seen anything like the damage done to those two firearms in all my flying experience. I would imagine that temperature changes that extreme would damage all kinds of things that get checked regularly? (electronics, optics)

wow. I just couldn't imagine someone being that violent with luggage to damage it like that. It would practically have to be done on purpose. Just didn't sound right but at least you got your gun fixed.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a ram.. Crazy to see a one eyed one horned ram, much less be able to pull one out of the hills! Here in Anchorage the local zoo has a one horned ram. I've asked a couple times for the back story and never got a good answer.

Wow, what a story. The area you hunted is a very tough one to hunt. To successfully harvest a ram in that area is no small feat and an accomplishment you can be proud of. Way to hang in there and get it done!

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
Spoke with a guy who has hunted that country for some time and said that ram has been missing that horn for a long time. Congrats again!

OP
Elkmasterwyo
Wow, what a story. The area you hunted is a very tough one to hunt. To successfully harvest a ram in that area is no small feat and an accomplishment you can be proud of. Way to hang in there and get it done!
Thank you! It was definitely a tough hunt and a memory that will last forever!

OP
Elkmasterwyo
That's crazy! I did notice he would get up and alternate the direction he was bedded every few minutes, after killing him and realizing he was missing his eye it made sense and lead me to believe he'd learned to adapt to the missing eye.

Last edited: