A gun for my son

roymunson

WKR
I'd like to build my son a gun as a gift. Kind of a "crossing the threshold to manhood" kind of thing. It can be an off the shelf gun, but I'd like something kinda of versatile.

He'll be 13-14 when I give it to him, and I plan on us going on an antelope hunt to celebrate using it. Would also potentially like something that he could effectively use on larger game too (Deer and potentially elk)

I'm still thinking caliber and not specifically a gun brand at the moment, but am open to hearing what others have done. I'd like it to be a gun he can keep and potentially pass down some day although it doesn't have to be a work of art.

Was thinking 243 Win, but that may be a bit small for the bigger game. 25-06 maybe? Or if I'm wanting to cover up to elk am I better off getting something like a 270 or a 270 WSM?

Just in the preliminary stages of this now...

I'm in the same boat. My son is a bit younger but I am torn on caliber. I was thinking 243 as well as my daughter uses my 243 currently. I know a 243 would serve him fine for whitetails and then he could upgrade as needed. Im trying to keep cartridges the same as what I currently reload for (243, 6.5cm, 7-08)

I'm starting my daughter out with a 7mm-08. Fast, Flat, good low recoil load options, 120 ttsx is great if we ever lose lead, the 140 accubond will fill antelope, deer, elk tags with ease. Right now it's loaded with 120 NBT's for deer and antelope. Great gun she can use for a lifetime. Till she's ready to hunt I'll enjoy the gun and break it in for her :).

We are headed towards lead free here in NY. One of the properties I hunt is requiring it this year and I'm looking at loading 80g Barnes in the 243.

TN2shot07

WKR
At 13-14 if he’s been shooting awhile already you should have plenty of options. I love the 243 and 25-06 (and have both) but they aren’t as versatile as some other cartridges.

I’d lean 6.5 prc, 270, 7mm-08, and maybe 308/30-06. Those cartridges will take him through to an adult and if he decides later to add a bigger magnum to his arsenal he’ll be well rounded.

atmat

WKR
I'd like to build my son a gun as a gift. Kind of a "crossing the threshold to manhood" kind of thing. It can be an off the shelf gun, but I'd like something kinda of versatile.

He'll be 13-14 when I give it to him, and I plan on us going on an antelope hunt to celebrate using it. Would also potentially like something that he could effectively use on larger game too (Deer and potentially elk)

I'm still thinking caliber and not specifically a gun brand at the moment, but am open to hearing what others have done. I'd like it to be a gun he can keep and potentially pass down some day although it doesn't have to be a work of art.

Was thinking 243 Win, but that may be a bit small for the bigger game. 25-06 maybe? Or if I'm wanting to cover up to elk am I better off getting something like a 270 or a 270 WSM?

Just in the preliminary stages of this now...
There are plenty of people using .223 for big game, so .243 is plenty. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/

6.5 creed starts to recoil enough that it may enforce bad habits if he doesn’t have good ones already built. So I’d look at 6creed, 243, and 223.

I vote 6 creedmoor / 243. 6 Creedmoor is attractive due to the cheap factory ammo available with higher BC bullets seated appropriately and because they tend to always be chambered with 7-8" twist barrels. With Tikka and Rem chambering 243 in 8 twists now that opens things up a bit for handloading options in 243 but I'd question if the throats will be optimized for the 100+ grain bullets.

Problem is there aren't many factory options in 6 creedmoor that are "keep and possibly hand down" type guns. Ruger and savage dont fit that bill.. Seekins and bergara possibly? I sent a perfectly good new 6.5 tikka to be rebarreled in 6 because I wanted one bad enough.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
Congratulations - that’s a big milestone and being there with a rifle will stick with him until he does the same for his son.

The 6 creedmore or 243 is perfect for a first rifle and if he grows out of it, it will always be a good plinking/varmint rifle. It’s easy to look at slightly larger calibers, but at that young age he will be best served with recoil as light as possible and a gun that’s more fun and economical to shoot.

Having said that, some kids shoot larger rifles well and many of his friends in jr high may be all wrapped up in the 6.5 prc craze - as much as I love the 270, that was my first big game rifle at 13, the 6.5 is headed to be more popular with similar ballistics and has a chamber that is simply more accurate. However, even though that 270 was my rifle, a 243 is what I normally took out for plinking or shooting prairie dogs. If a 223 was available that would have been used even more for everything short of big game. Young shooters are very cost conscious when the money for ammo comes out of their pocket.

My grandson is years away from his first big game rifle, but it will be a 6mm of some kind.

03mossy

WKR
Bought my son a Tikka compact 7-08 last year. He took a buck with it last fall and loves shooting it. He’s a small kid so we are shooting the Hornady reduced recoil ammo for now. Once he gets through those 10 boxes we will work on hand loads.

rideold

WKR
I went with the Savage 110 Hunter for my son. The adjustable stock has been perfect for his growth. We started out at 12 with about the smallest stock I could configure and now at 14 going on 15 he's up to an adult sized stock. Worth the money in my opinion.

As for caliber I'd decide more based on his recoil sensitivity than the end game. My son was very sensitive to recoil for a long time. He spent way more time using his 22 at the range than a center fire. If he's not sensitive to recoil then sure, get a larger caliber but certainly don't push him on it. We spent a long time bringing the 22 and the center fire to the range. He'd shoot 3 or 4 shots on the center fire and then switch to his 22. He's worked from that over the last few years to not bringing his 22 anymore and only shooting his center fire. He shot my 30-06 for the first time last weekend and was unfazed by it. A year ago he wouldn't even consider shooting it.

For the record he shoots a 6.5 CM and brought home his first deer last fall using it. That was his second time big game hunting. The first year was more of a shakedown exercise than anything else!

You didn't mention your son's size.. Will he need a youth model that can be upgraded to full sized stock later? I love the 243, 25/06, 7mm07, etc,etc and have multiples of most of them.. If I were choosing today and the boy can handle it without issues, I would recommend either the 7mm08 or the 6.5cm... If size is an issue buy a TIKKA compact and later upgrade the stock to whatever works later.. That way you'll have a rifle that works now and gives you almost unlimited options later to upgrade to something else.. Even if he wants to upgrade to a mag caliber a bolt/barrel/magazine/bolt stop swap gets it done..

Not to hijack the thread, but any recommendations on make/model? Most of my rifles are Remington 700/7/7600 and I am drawn that way. I am looking for a good value for my son in something he will use. If he scratches it, no big deal. I think I am leaning toward a Howa 1500 for something different. I have handled the Savage Axis and I am not a fan. The Ruger Americans I have been around are shooters for sure. What would you go to for a $400-$500ish gun?

Remington extractors are a terrible design, the trigger is inherently unsafe, and before they went into bankruptcy quality control was terrible. Who knows how it is now. I used to love them, now I wouldn't touch one. Never used a Howa. Have seen the bolt on a ruger American bind just cycling the action slowly in the store. The "nice" savages I've owned had poor feeding and scope mounting options, can't imagine how bad the axis must be.

Tikka or nothing for me on affordable bolt actions.

hiker270

WKR
The first rifle I purchased when I was 15 was a 270 Remington. Paid $115 for it in 1967, Still have it, still hunt with it. still shoots MOA with just about any ammo. Have many other rifles but still love that 270. Would absolutely use it for anything in North America but Grizzly/Brown Bear.