A gun for my son

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I don't know anything about the 7mm-08. I know it's a light recoil gun, but i looks like a pretty good rifle for anything in the lower 48. a classic 270 is pretty appealing too...

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
Between a .243 or a 6.5CM, I’d choose the creedmoore. I have both and the felt recoil is about the same to me, but you’re slinging a bigger projectile with the CM.

hunterjmj

WKR
Not to hijack the thread, but any recommendations on make/model? Most of my rifles are Remington 700/7/7600 and I am drawn that way. I am looking for a good value for my son in something he will use. If he scratches it, no big deal. I think I am leaning toward a Howa 1500 for something different. I have handled the Savage Axis and I am not a fan. The Ruger Americans I have been around are shooters for sure. What would you go to for a $400-$500ish gun?
I'm a Remington fan myself but hard to find now. I bought my kids a Weatherby Vanguard in .243. Smooth action and it's a small rifle made for kids. It's a couple hundred more than $500 but I think it'll be a great rifle for the kids.

Vern400

WKR
I'm tempted to recommend a 6.5 CM or 7-08. I know a 243 with modern bullets is fairly capable. But I've just seen too many deer run off wounded with that cartridge. It's probably because for many years, it was the default low recoil, but still legal cartridge in Georgia. I reckon it ends up in the hands of a lot of people that aren't very proficient at shooting, or choosing which shots to take. But the fact remains that the less gun you carry, the more selective you have to be about presentation, and shot placement. That's not a good situation to put an excited kid, or poor shooter in.

The 6.5 is a sweet shooting little gun, and so is the 7-08. They aren't different by a whole lot. If you hand load, they both load down readily.

You mentioned elk hunting. I can't really comment on that. If I went for an elk hunt I wouldn't run out and buy a 300 WM. But I would be more confident of a cartridge with just a little bit more punch than the best option for a kid's rifle. I'm talking 308, '06, 280AI.

I hope you find a great option.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
i'm mentally settling in between a 7mm-08 and a 270 winchester. If I want more punch a 270 WSM would get it done too...

I don't know much about the 7mm-08 but like my 7 RM

I would recommend a .243, I started hunting with one with my 10 year old son, and he was easily able to shoot it.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
i'm mentally settling in between a 7mm-08 and a 270 winchester. If I want more punch a 270 WSM would get it done too...

I don't know much about the 7mm-08 but like my 7 RM
The 7mm-08 is pretty close to the .270, but with less recoil. That’s the option I went with for my son at 10 (he’s 13 now) don’t regret that one bit…he also successfully took a cow elk at 120yards with that cartridge. I know you mentioned undecided on a rifle brand, but the 7mm-08 in a tikka t3x compact is great for the shorter barrel and lop, and can be adjusted as he grows.

He's a kid, dont go to big with the caliber's yet.

Also in a few years when he's a broke ass teenager. He will appreciate a gun that shoots cheap ammo, that you can buy anywhere. That screams 243/creedmor/308 to me
I would chose out of this list but add 7-08 to the list. 7-08 is one of the most underrated cartridges out there IMO. excellent round!

I have been beating this decision up myself. The CM is a great shooter and can take elk. The CM is also a very light recoil. The 270 is flat but has limited bullet choice, however it’s available everywhere. The 7-08 has a ton of bullet choices and a mild recoil. The 270 and 7 both give a better punch for elk. Overall the gun that is accurate for the shooter is the best, I guess.
Maybe a 6.8 western? Heck I don’t know. Too many good choices.

There is a Winchester SS Extreme Weather in 7mm/08 listed right now on here that would be perfect. Better get it quick though. All the best with your choice.

TaperPin

WKR
Like a first car, a first rifle doesn’t have to be new. There are still good deals out there in the used rack - Howa seems to be popular on the used Sheels rack this year - just about any caliber in nearly new condition for $400. There are a jillion used Remingtons in circulation - thats my first choice.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
i gave my son a 243 Ruger when he was 14 and that cheap little rifle shoots well.
When he graduated HS he wanted to take attend a long range hunting school. We did that this summer and I got him a 7prc. The 243 was a perfect place to start.

I’m currently going down a similar road. I went with the t3 7mm-08 compact. With reduced recoil loads it’s a soft shooter, with regular loads it recoils a fair amount more than my T3X 6.5CM. Now I’m planning on rebarreling to a 6CM. If I had to do it again I would go 223 with the 77TMK. Recoil is real, unfortunately I may have already instilled some bad habits in my oldest kid. The next two coming up will get Tikka 223s.

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
A few years back, I got my boy started on a cheap Ruger American Predator 6.5 CM with an APA Little Bastard for deer, with the intention of going to larger caliber, for elk-sized animals, as he grows. We used factory ammo then progressed to handloads

He developed good form, enjoyed shooting, gained confidence on the range and the hunts, and got to know the gun and his load really well.

He has since grown into a strapping young man. He inherited several extremely nice 270, 7-08, 30-06, and 300 wm. But, he still hunts and kills everything with that Ruger, flimsy factory stock and all.

tyberry44

FNG
I built my boy a 6.5 PRC last year when he was 10. It is a great little gun he loves it! It is a blast to shoot so much so that I built myself one too!

Attachments

• 9F6C77DF-9ABA-4EFD-986C-336E0FDFAB26.jpeg
    9F6C77DF-9ABA-4EFD-986C-336E0FDFAB26.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 9