A moment of silence:my frame has died

tater

WKR
Well, after a lot of years, miles and pack-outs my beloved Kifaru Bikini frame broke.
I tried a lot of other pack set ups over the years, but i always came back to that frame.
It didn't owe me a single mile more, but damn it was steady companion and it met my needs.

Ah well. The only constant in life is change.

Maverick1

WKR
Well, after a lot of years, miles and pack-outs my beloved Kifaru Bikini frame broke.
I tried a lot of other pack set ups over the years, but i always came back to that frame.
It didn't owe me a single mile more, but damn it was steady companion and it met my needs.

Ah well. The only constant in life is change.
How did it break?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry for your loss. When an where will the service be held?

OP
T

tater

WKR
How did it break?
Not too sure. I noticed some weird load shifting and when i got back to the truck the one stay had cracked in half. Only had about 30lbs in it (nowhere near the loads it had hauled in its life) so no clue.

Sorry for your loss. When an where will the service be held?
Much to my Wife's dismay it will hang in a place of prominence in my cave. I have already shed a single man-tear and spilled a drop for the homies so the service has passed.

OP
T

tater

WKR
I'm not that familiar with the bikini frame, what are the stays made from?
They were made of the blood and sweat of Patrick Smith mixed with carbon and formed by the pressure of his will.
Actually, wood/carbon composite like a hockey stick.

Order a set of stays from the shop, replace the broken stay, and keep on trucking. I swapped a pair of stays from flat to curved for a guy a few years back. Easy peasy and worked like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are they the same dimensions as the composite stays in a Duplex (i only over had aluminum stays in duplex frames)?
A good clean hs drill bit and some steel rivets would be the tools:unsure:

They were made of the blood and sweat of Patrick Smith mixed with carbon and formed by the pressure of his will.
Actually, wood/carbon composite like a hockey stick.

Are they the same dimensions as the composite stays in a Duplex (i only over had aluminum stays in duplex frames)?
A good clean hs drill bit and some steel rivets would be the tools:unsure:

Yes, they the same stays as the Duplex and lite frames have in them.

Take a few pics, make note of stay orientation, drill the rivets, pull the stays out of the sleeves, replace with the new stays, drill the appropriate holes in the the stays that line up with the holes in the sleeves, rivet back into place.

Feel free to reach out if I can help. I’ll shoot you my cell and we can chat about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Is it 24" or 26"?

I'd replace with aluminum, then you can fit to you if you've got a vise and aren't scared.

Shipping will cost as much as the stays.

No reason to retire it. The only carbon stays I have are in my Late Season, which doesn't get the same stresses as my frames.

Give a good measure of dimensions, including width and thickness, I might have some extras I got from Mel for a buddy who thought he was getting a pack without stays. If they'd work, cost of shipping and fees will send them, I think I have a USGS map tube they'd fit in.

Rivets make me wonder if they'd fit in the sleeves....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

taters-frame-after.jpg