A nation of wimps?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is just one small data point, but our neighborhood (with quite a few kids) I don't see out much- maybe they have a better place to hang than the neighborhood??? I will say that a lot of the kids look walk to school ~ 1.5 miles one way, so I'll give them that.

Also now a days seems like younger kids are doing a lot more with organized sports- soccer, basketball, football, etc. There is a gymnastic gym down the street for kids only and that thing is packed with cars. So maybe kids are as active, just not doing the same things we did as a kid.

Maybe that is a good thing? I remember organizing BB gun fights in our neighborhood, sometimes as many as 10 kids on a side- an all out war! Pretty much a miracle nobody was injured seriously :D

180ls1

WKR
Who has the writing from 2,000 years ago where the guy was saying the same thing? I forgot who wrote it.

Pdzoller

WKR
We are currently in a declared “state of emergency”

There is a light dusting of snow and about 17 degrees outside
😂
Oregon? If so, you obviously weren’t in one of the cities or areas that were hit hardest. Not as bad as the one we had in 21 but still pretty bad for some. My coworkers and I put 120 hours in, cutting trees off wire for the utilities. Many people have died, thousands lost power, hundreds lost homes, thousands were stranded in their homes and cars. I counted 62 wrecked semis the first day alone.

I met lots of tough folks of all ages out working to help their fellows and putting in time for their community.

Looks pretty tough from the pic out the window of an upper middle class suburban neighborhood. Did you even lose power?

I'm not going to read this thread because I'm sure there's a lot of BS triggering statements in here.

However, I'd say on the whole the entire world (save a few countries/regions?) Is probably far more wimpy than 200 years ago.

Read some accounts of what people went through (and how children were generally treated by parents) during the growth and westward migration of the US and you'll realize.... Nearly everyone in the US today is probably just a wimpy b#_@$

I'm not going to read this thread because I'm sure there's a lot of BS triggering statements in here.

However, I'd say on the whole the entire world (save a few countries/regions?) Is probably far more wimpy than 200 years ago.

Read some accounts of what people went through (and how children were generally treated by parents) during the growth and westward migration of the US and you'll realize.... Nearly everyone in the US today is probably just a wimpy b#_@$
Read Endeavor. Ernest Shackleton and crew. The definition of Hard Core.

*zap*

WKR
a huge % of the population really never spend much time outside of climate controlled areas...the amount of people who have groceries ready for them to pick up is surprising to me.. but I do not mind food shopping at all...you get to see the people of walmart...in person.

Reactions: OMF

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Some UC Irvine, Ca. students had to go to hospital after they saw what they called graphic images on Discord, a social media site. It Traumatized them, It caused them to cry, and vomit. Now that's what I call whips.

Reactions: OMF

MattB

WKR
a huge % of the population really never spend much time outside of climate controlled areas...the amount of people who have groceries ready for them to pick up is surprising to me.. but I do not mind food shopping at all...you get to see the people of walmart...in person.
You must have a really good spotting scope. 😀

*zap*

WKR
I think that there is no switch a soft person can flip to become hard....kinda like stupid is forever....I find it interesting talking to people about the softness of todays society and the impact it has on all of us, finding out what the opinions are is fascinating. I think as things get tough the soft go and find a comfortable place to sit and rationalize how that is the best course of inaction.

CorbLand

WKR
Who has the writing from 2,000 years ago where the guy was saying the same thing? I forgot who wrote it.
Socrates had a quote about how kids are too accustomed to the leisure's of life.

Most of this stuff comes down to a couple things.
A) People have complained about the generation after them since man figured out how to communicate. Its never ending and honestly will never end. Generally people look back with a positive attitude and forward with a negative one. Trust me, your grandpa thought you were lazy and entitled too.
B) We see what we want to see. If you have an attitude of kids these days are just lazy, that is what you will see when you look around. The world is what you make of it and unfortunately for the last 32 years, all anyone ever talks about is how bad things are and are going to get.
C) We have arbitrary things that we have determined as making people soft and/or hard. Some of the things are obsolete and no longer needed in a society. We are never going to back to rotary phones or manual transmissions. The world has moved passed those. If we knew how to make automatic transmissions before manuals, manuals never would have been made. Its all progression and once you make it passed things, you will never go back.

Honestly, I think one massive shift that we have seen, in my opinion, is that 100 years ago, people use to work hard to provide a better life for their kids. They wanted to see their kids not have to deal with the troubles that they did. They didn't want their kids to work in fields, worry about their next meal, etc. Now people act as if its a good thing people are going hungry and a bad thing we have furnaces and AC.

Last edited: