A Problem Id Never Thought Id Have

I currently shoot a 300WM Browning Hells Canyon which I like a lot. I have zero complaints and thats my problem. I used to buy guns all the time because I liked seeing how they worked and performed but ultimately I wanted to use them as a hunting rifle. I used to say you can never have too many guns and buy as many as possible but I cant seem to buy anything lately. I want to try a Tilkka but I doubt it will be better than what I have. I tried to tell myself to get one in a small caliber but as a compliment to the Browning but the Browning does great even on smaller game than elk and mule deer. Then I said maybe building a chassis gun will be fun but thats $$$ for something probably not much better than what I have.

Basically I dont see myself buying a new gun anytime soon and thats kinda disappointing. Anyone else try hard to find something they really like then get depressed when they find it because the “chase” is over?

Motown

WKR
Thought about trying a hells canyon as well. How does that muzzle brake work on the 300? Does it reduce recoil pretty good?

I also feel your pain. I used to buy new rifles and sell old ones every few months just to try the next best thing. Lately I have been pretty content with my main 3 tikkas in 223 (1:8”), 6.5 Creed, and also my 308 SL. I have always been intrigued though with the Hells Canyon.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anyone else try hard to find something they really like then get depressed when they find it because the “chase” is over?

No. What usually happens is that I find the best possible gear that works for me, and then they discontinue it, or change it up for the worse. So the chase continues as I try to find more of that product..........or a replacement for it.

But as for guns........you keep saying you're afraid a different gun "might not be better than what you already have". Here's my opinion.......they don't have to be "better", they're just different. So if you want a smaller caliber, go get one. I'll tell you one thing, it will be a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot a lot, and more fun than your 300 Win Mag. That's better.

OP
Researcher
Thought about trying a hells canyon as well. How does that muzzle brake work on the 300? Does it reduce recoil pretty good?

I also feel your pain. I used to buy new rifles and sell old ones every few months just to try the next best thing. Lately I have been pretty content with my main 3 tikkas in 223 (1:8”), 6.5 Creed, and also my 308 SL. I have always been intrigued though with the Hells Canyon.

The muzzle brake is a game changer. I can shoot 40 rounds easy everyday if I wanted. It also isn't the "best" muzzle brake design either. There are designs that will do an even better job.

If I were in the market for a hunting rifle it would be either the hells canyon or the new tikka veil rifles.

OP
Researcher
No. What usually happens is that I find the best possible gear that works for me, and then they discontinue it, or change it up for the worse. So the chase continues as I try to find more of that product..........or a replacement for it.

But as for guns........you keep saying you're afraid a different gun "might not be better than what you already have". Here's my opinion.......they don't have to be "better", they're just different. So if you want a smaller caliber, go get one. I'll tell you one thing, it will be a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot a lot, and more fun than your 300 Win Mag. That's better.

Cheaper to shot. This might be a winner for me. Thanks

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I would consider therapy!!! But even with a gun safe full of guns I always have one gun that is my go too.

I’m kinda in the same boat, although I have more than one rifle.

Ive been on a buying sabbatical for awhile, up until a month or so ago when I got a Ridgeline. I’m actually going to start paring down the safe shortly. I have some major overlap(2 280ais and a 7mag come to mind). After 2 of those leave, I’ll be left with a 280ai, 308(Montana), 6.5(Tikka SL), and a 300wm(Bergara) that is an absolutely pig. The bergara will likely get a new stock and a cerakote. Love the gun, but at 12lbs it’s a little more than I want to lug around the mountains. Oh, and I have a 17 and a couple 22s... can’t forget about those.

I feel like I’ll be balanced at that time and likely won’t buy anymore for a long time as I’m content.

I know it’s a little different from your situation with only one, but the buying and selling of rifles definitely cuts into hunt money... not to mention finding loads, etc all take precious time that I could be spending scouting, exercising or on the mountain.

OP
Researcher
The Hells Canyon is just my hunting rifle. I used to have several different ones. I also used to have several more for target / family shooting and have built AK kits but sadly all those sunk along with my duck hunting boat.

Like Jeff my gun purchases have gone down to fund the gear the last few years but even there Ive gotten to the point Im pretty happy. Currently working on trying to hunt more.

Reactions: OMB
The Hells Canyon is just my hunting rifle. I used to have several different ones. I also used to have several more for target / family shooting and have built AK kits but sadly all those sunk along with my duck hunting boat.

Like Jeff my gun purchases have gone down to fund the gear the last few years but even there Ive gotten to the point Im pretty happy. Currently working on trying to hunt more.

Oh my gear purchases have really tapered off. I’ve found the pieces of kit I’m gonna be using for the foreseeable future... actually I lied, I just picked up a LRO rear shooting bag in the git lite fill a few weeks ago... but honestly for the most part my optics, camping and now gun gear are all pretty settled.

Honestly, I had always wanted a carbon barrel rifle so that’s why I ended up picking up the Ridgeline. I figured if it shoots good, I’ll sell my other 280 and 7 mag... if it doesn’t, I’ll either send it back to CA or up the road. In the end, I didn’t feel like I needed it or anything, just wanted one since I handled one for the first time some years ago.

elkguide

WKR
Well I don't know if I'm in the same category but on my drive to Idaho to hunt last fall, I stopped at Cabellas just off I-80 in Nebraska and after being there for an hour, I called my wife and told her that I was officially old. I told her that I just left Cabellas without buying a thing. Of course her totally supportive comment was, "What? There wasn't anything in there that you didn't all ready only have three of!"

eoperator

WKR
I have been stuck in this rut a couple times before. It's an easy fix just sell 3 or 4 guns on gunbroker a couple weeks after the the "chase for the 1" will return.

Motown

WKR
The muzzle brake is a game changer. I can shoot 40 rounds easy everyday if I wanted. It also isn't the "best" muzzle brake design either. There are designs that will do an even better job.

If I were in the market for a hunting rifle it would be either the hells canyon or the new tikka veil rifles.

Thanks for the input. I have been holding out for the Tikka Veil as well and since I heard they should have the Veil in 6.5 PRC later this year that has really peeked my interest.

ChrisAU

WKR
I got stuck in such an expensive and vicious cycle of rotating primary big game rifles that I dropped a ton of money on a my Cooper 92 with a custom serial number that i s my very unique last name. Then I took my first elk with it. Rifle roulette is over for me. Scopes on the other hand...