A story and a request built out of struggle, tragedy, overcoming, and ultimately good news. Could use some advice.

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
Strap in for a brief story … but I think the background is appropriate.

As a number of flatlanders, I was bit by the Elk Hunting bug in 2018 as an escape from
the otherwise mundane.

After 2 years of OTC archery and 1 guided semi successful rifle hunt I was staring down another year doing what my heart knew was its greatest passion. My second child was due early August and I defiantly told my wife in the summer of 2021 that I would stay out of the September Elk woods for the birth of our son … but NOTHING was keeping me out of the woods the following year.

God must have heard me making bold statements and decided to prove who was really in charge … January 2022 my 6 month old son is diagnosed with one of the world’s rarest and most aggressive forms of childhood leukemia. To say we were knocked out is an understatement.

1 Bone marrow transplant, millions of dollars, millions of tears, and a few brushes with death coupled with more prayers than anyone could fathom … he is currently alive and well. Acting like a little toddler should. Defiantly jumping off things, challenging authority, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. While that story is and will forever be a cornerstone of my experience, this is not why I am writing this post.

I want to take everyone who has made it this far in my story back to my earlier defiant statement: NOTHING will keep me out of the elk woods. Well, as you can imagine, I’ve changed my tune a little. Now I’m of the mind that if God blesses me with some additional time, I would love to experience a successful elk hunt.

Here’s where I need the help though:

There isn’t clear and concise information on opportunities like the ones I’m searching for. There doesn’t seem to be many 1 on 1 “spike” or backpack hunting guides. Where you can pay for someone to spike out with you to spot/stalk, call, move and shake, and in general use the wisdom and experience of a guide to learn and increase the likelihood of success. Those guides that may have scouted and prepared for “where” you need to be seem to be valuable.

I don’t want to sit over a water hole, and I don’t want to be in “camp” with 30 other people waiting to get driven to a blind. I am looking for 1 on 1 guiding for archery or rifle in any western state of consequence where I can continue to learn and have a good opportunity for success.

Without arrogance, money isn’t much of an issue. I work hard, and have been awarded for that work … but I won’t pay for a high fence layup, I still want to work for it. And if that means hiking many miles and continuing to sleep on the ground I’ll pay what it takes to be successful with that struggle. But if my $ buys me private land with a spike/backcountry setup then I’m game for the added success percent.

Does anyone know of an outfit that hunts like this? That pairs 1 on 1 and scouts for prepared and physical flatlanders for backpack elk hunts potentially on private land? There’s not much online that says something like this exists, hoping I’m simply missing it.

If it doesn’t exist, then I’m happy to fall back to my second option … private land high success trophy hunting. With the poor luck we’ve dealt with over the last ~24 months I’m wondering if I should just pay the premium to get put on a trophy to get rid of the yipps. Any suggestions on high quality 2024 archery/rifle bull elk outfitters where you can buy a shot somewhere beautiful?

Thanks for reading this far, I want my son to grow up on the best, most organic protein available … and I’d like to provide it for him. Thanks for reading.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just go elk hunt and enjoy it man.

Some of my most fun hunts have been when the tag holder doesn’t quite seal the deal. Definitely the only real way to learn.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Elk is the best meat you can eat, not just taste, but by the stats on nutrition. Don’t rule out deer and Pronghorn either - they help round out the years when we don’t get elk. Will your wife hunt too to make sure that freezer stays full?! Glad your little guys is well now. Quite an ordeal you had.

Read1t48

WKR
Thanks for sharing. Glad your son is doing better. Life often has a way of putting things into perspective.

I am willing to bet that many outfitters have guys on their team that do those hunts. I would determine what state you want to hunt and make some calls to the outfitter to share your desires. If they are booked out, and you are willing to sacrifice short term success of filling a tag for the opportunity of an adventure to learn and gain knowledge through trial and error, just go do it yourself.

If you live in a state with elk, or near a state that you can routinely hunt year over year through OTC tags, I would plan the hunt and do it. You understand trials, difficulty, commitment, determination, grace, and sacrifice more than most. All those attributes will make you an excellent elk hunter once you put in the time and you will feel so much better in the long run for the self dedication and the reward. If you want to feed your family excellent protein every year, I would figure out how to do it on your own. Don’t rely on a guide or someone else to help you acquire something that is so important to you. You should control that process and nobody will want it more than you. The greatest asset in the elk woods should be YOU.

I took the same approach and have found success each year, solo archery, with an OTC tag in units with a 5-8% success rate. I did solo so that every mistake, wrong move, or right move, would be my own. I’ve never forgot them. Now, 6+ years later, I make more right moves than not. The feeling of accomplishment was worth the upfront cost.
For you, if money isn’t a issue, hunt a state with a guide to fill your freezer for your family, and hunt a tag on your own to hone your skills.

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
You say money is no issue, but is that really the case? Add the word Trophy and the game really changes. Now you're talking about landowner tags, auction tags, and governor tags (unless you're sitting on a pile of points you forgot to mention!)

What youre talking about is $15-20K+ for a true backpack style trophy hunt. Horses allow you to drop the cost substantially but you end up in wall tent most likely with a few other guys (you could always buy up the extra spots.) With enough money, you can tell any outfitter. "I just want it to be me and want to hunt out of a backpack." and he'll find a way to acomidate you for a price.

Additionally, there are 2 on 1 guides that you could buy up the other spot? (youd still have to buy out the camp if you want to be truely alone.

Its hard to find a backpack private land hunts because its so much easier and gets a better return to just have a house and some horses and leave early in the morning.

Most of the good sheep/goat hunts are 1 on 1 full on backpack spike camps.

Can you define trophy? 350+? 400+? B&C? SCI?

Is the experiance of being alone in the wilderness more important to you or the kill?

Gerbdog

WKR
Glad your sons doing well. Blessed despite the trials.

I cant offer a lot here... i dont go guided. I can say i think with the sound of your background and experiences i believe you likely have what it takes to join the 10% club if you go on your own.

I know your story all too well. Im glad your son is being what every toddler should be!

I don't have any info to provide to you for your elk hunt but I am in your same boat as well. I will get to the elk woods at some point and kill my first elk before I die! Keep after it and the right opportunity will present its self.

tmorty

FNG
Strap in for a brief story … but I think the background is appropriate.

As a number of flatlanders, I was bit by the Elk Hunting bug in 2018 as an escape from
the otherwise mundane.

After 2 years of OTC archery and 1 guided semi successful rifle hunt I was staring down another year doing what my heart knew was its greatest passion. My second child was due early August and I defiantly told my wife in the summer of 2021 that I would stay out of the September Elk woods for the birth of our son … but NOTHING was keeping me out of the woods the following year.

God must have heard me making bold statements and decided to prove who was really in charge … January 2022 my 6 month old son is diagnosed with one of the world’s rarest and most aggressive forms of childhood leukemia. To say we were knocked out is an understatement.

1 Bone marrow transplant, millions of dollars, millions of tears, and a few brushes with death coupled with more prayers than anyone could fathom … he is currently alive and well. Acting like a little toddler should. Defiantly jumping off things, challenging authority, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. While that story is and will forever be a cornerstone of my experience, this is not why I am writing this post.

I want to take everyone who has made it this far in my story back to my earlier defiant statement: NOTHING will keep me out of the elk woods. Well, as you can imagine, I’ve changed my tune a little. Now I’m of the mind that if God blesses me with some additional time, I would love to experience a successful elk hunt.

Here’s where I need the help though:

There isn’t clear and concise information on opportunities like the ones I’m searching for. There doesn’t seem to be many 1 on 1 “spike” or backpack hunting guides. Where you can pay for someone to spike out with you to spot/stalk, call, move and shake, and in general use the wisdom and experience of a guide to learn and increase the likelihood of success. Those guides that may have scouted and prepared for “where” you need to be seem to be valuable.

I don’t want to sit over a water hole, and I don’t want to be in “camp” with 30 other people waiting to get driven to a blind. I am looking for 1 on 1 guiding for archery or rifle in any western state of consequence where I can continue to learn and have a good opportunity for success.

Without arrogance, money isn’t much of an issue. I work hard, and have been awarded for that work … but I won’t pay for a high fence layup, I still want to work for it. And if that means hiking many miles and continuing to sleep on the ground I’ll pay what it takes to be successful with that struggle. But if my $ buys me private land with a spike/backcountry setup then I’m game for the added success percent.

Does anyone know of an outfit that hunts like this? That pairs 1 on 1 and scouts for prepared and physical flatlanders for backpack elk hunts potentially on private land? There’s not much online that says something like this exists, hoping I’m simply missing it.

If it doesn’t exist, then I’m happy to fall back to my second option … private land high success trophy hunting. With the poor luck we’ve dealt with over the last ~24 months I’m wondering if I should just pay the premium to get put on a trophy to get rid of the yipps. Any suggestions on high quality 2024 archery/rifle bull elk outfitters where you can buy a shot somewhere beautiful?

Thanks for reading this far, I want my son to grow up on the best, most organic protein available … and I’d like to provide it for him. Thanks for
I live in Durango Co. shoot me a message if you have an interest in hunting this area. I’m sure we could put you on an elk no problem. No guide fee just trying to help out. Let me know.