A-zone trail cam

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled a picture off of my trail cam yesterday and my heart skipped a couple of beats. I knew there were a couple if bucks in this little area but this guy is a dandy, especially for our coastal zone.
Screenshot_20190611-152852_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190611-152858_Gallery.jpg

I'm going to chase this guy with my bow this year. Any tips for patterning or other tactics to stay on him?

OP
Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I have a picture if him, I know his track and a desirable zone. I think I have an ok chance to catch him around the season. I might be optimistic, but that's better than the alternative.

OP
Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
As early as February they start to regrow. Depends on when the buck was born. I've seen them 17" wide with well developed forks in April.
Now that you say that, I have quite a range of growth, between February and April but this year seemed later. This year was so wet I noticed less activity at that time and I didn't see many deer around.

I’ve been seeing plenty of good growth since April. Hoping to check cameras this month and see how they are shaping up this season.
Greg- Did you only get that buck one time? Is there a water source nearby? I know that once the summer temps start turning which they did last week the deer start definitely keying in on water more. Also some of the smaller sources seem to dry up and they move a bit. At least in my part of A zone I’ve noticed this.
That’s a good buck and should be good mass also.

OP
Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
There is a river that narrows down near by, fruit trees, and habitat. When I set the trail cam I got a glimpse of what I'd like to think was him, but not certain. I got another buck on the cam and from what I saw here last year, they like this spot.

This is the other buck. It looks like his once side is broken off, but it's hard to tell with the framing.
Screenshot_20190603-183141_Gallery.jpg

Sounds like you have a good spot. Try to pin point where they are coming and going to. Water, bedding areas. Setup additional cameras further up and down the trail.
That other buck is definitely deformed. Any recent pics of him?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
That is a great A-zone buck, true trophy. Im doing my first Azone scouting trip this weekend hoping to turn up the one that slipped on me last year. Good luck this season, once he begins to shed that velvet everything changes (Im sure you know that). But I will tell you this, last year for 4 straight weeks Aug - Sept rifle this very mature 4 point I chased was in the same spot night after night. Long and frustrating story of why I couldnt seal the deal after 5 different stalks. :)