AAE Hybrid Phnx

shamus275

FNG
Anybody played with these yet? Are they truly no prep required? As in, no primer pen? Just glue and go? I'll still clean the shafts with the wipes but I'm really curious if I need to do anything else.

Beendare

WKR
I have some my buddy got from the rep 6 mo ago to test. I still haven’t tried them yet.

He shot them a little….says he will use them on Kodiak hunts but otherwise feathers

OP
S

shamus275

FNG
I haven’t fletched up a set with these vanes yet but I had a chance to visit my buddy who has and he said he just glued them on with no prep. I also shot several groups with his arrows and was able to compare Trad Vanes side by side with the Phnx. Flight wise I didn’t notice much difference off the shelf but the Phnx were definitely louder…not by much and still quieter than feathers.

Beendare

WKR
I haven’t fletched up a set with these vanes yet but I had a chance to visit my buddy who has and he said he just glued them on with no prep. I also shot several groups with his arrows and was able to compare Trad Vanes side by side with the Phnx. Flight wise I didn’t notice much difference off the shelf but the Phnx were definitely louder…not by much and still quieter than feathers.
From what I’ve heard, the first iteration of test vanes needed the primer. The latest iteration doesn’t.

Have they released these for sale to the public yet?

OP
S

shamus275

FNG
From what I’ve heard, the first iteration of test vanes needed the primer. The latest iteration doesn’t.

Have they released these for sale to the public yet?
I wasn't aware there was a gen 1 and gen 2 vane....

Blackcow

WKR
AAE uses 2 compounds for all their vanes. Elite plastifletch, and max. All the EP vanes ( EP, stealth, hybrid, trad, Phx) you can use whatever. I’ve even used gas station super glue in a pinch. If it says MAX in the name, you need primer and max bond. I talked to Beendare last year when he got his, and a friend gave me 9. I stopped by AAE when they were released and got a box. I’m feeling meh about them. They glue easy though compared to trad vanes. Quieter than feathers, twice as heavy as a trad vane, don’t tune( for me) as easily as a feather or trad vane. But….they glue easy. If I didn’t have a pile of trad vanes…… Well, I’d go back to feathers.

Beendare

WKR
AAE uses 2 compounds for all their vanes. Elite plastifletch, and max. All the EP vanes ( EP, stealth, hybrid, trad, Phx) you can use whatever. I’ve even used gas station super glue in a pinch. If it says MAX in the name, you need primer and max bond. I talked to Beendare last year when he got his, and a friend gave me 9. I stopped by AAE when they were released and got a box. I’m feeling meh about them. They glue easy though compared to trad vanes. Quieter than feathers, twice as heavy as a trad vane, don’t tune( for me) as easily as a feather or trad vane. But….they glue easy. If I didn’t have a pile of trad vanes…… Well, I’d go back to feathers.
Interesting…thx for the report, good info.

Shamus, I should have characterized them differently. Its not version 1 Or 2.

I got some when they were still in early development and I think they improved the design from the ones I have.

I put them on one arrow…shot them a couple times is all. I hesitate to make a comment on them as I didn’t give them a fair test,

My buddy did a little bit more than me….and stated he would stick with feathers most of the time but on our Kodiak deer hunts…he was going to use them for sure.

I think its a great idea….and worth playing around with them.AAE is a great company.

I've had them for a little while now and this is what I have been noticing so far.

Glueing: Pretty much the same as anything else just has a wider base. Never had problems glueing up trad vanes so these are just as easy.

Noise: Definately a little louder than trad vanes but quieter than feathers. I can hear the arrow heading towards the target which I never could with trad vanes.

Durability: I think this is where they will shine. One of my biggest problems with trad vanes is constantly getting tears in them or poking holes in them when shooting tight groups. I will usually have to re fletch a couple times a week with trad vanes. The little cuts in the fletchings pretty much just let the arrow slide through.

Tunability: this is where they might loose. If everything I do isn't 100% perfect, I do notice the arrow bouncing off the shelf. I would say 2/3 arrows I notice the bounce. That's with a great tune out of a longbow. I wouldn't see any problem shooting off an elevated rest. Once the weather changes here, I will be shooting broadheads with them to see if I notice anything further. The one thing I do notice is once I see the bounce, they do stabilize quickly and I have shot some pretty tight groups with them. Shooting 3 and 4 fletch and haven't noticed much difference yet.

My plan for the year is to shoot them on my practice arrows, and shoot trad vanes with a reflective wrap for my hunting arrows to equal out the same weight. I think 3 fletch for the PHNX and 4 fletch with 3" trad vanes is about perfect.

Group in the picture was shot around 27 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_1839.jpeg
    IMG_1839.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 9
I've had them for a little while now and this is what I have been noticing so far.

Glueing: Pretty much the same as anything else just has a wider base. Never had problems glueing up trad vanes so these are just as easy.

Noise: Definately a little louder than trad vanes but quieter than feathers. I can hear the arrow heading towards the target which I never could with trad vanes.

Durability: I think this is where they will shine. One of my biggest problems with trad vanes is constantly getting tears in them or poking holes in them when shooting tight groups. I will usually have to re fletch a couple times a week with trad vanes. The little cuts in the fletchings pretty much just let the arrow slide through.

Tunability: this is where they might loose. If everything I do isn't 100% perfect, I do notice the arrow bouncing off the shelf. I would say 2/3 arrows I notice the bounce. That's with a great tune out of a longbow. I wouldn't see any problem shooting off an elevated rest. Once the weather changes here, I will be shooting broadheads with them to see if I notice anything further. The one thing I do notice is once I see the bounce, they do stabilize quickly and I have shot some pretty tight groups with them. Shooting 3 and 4 fletch and haven't noticed much difference yet.

My plan for the year is to shoot them on my practice arrows, and shoot trad vanes with a reflective wrap for my hunting arrows to equal out the same weight. I think 3 fletch for the PHNX and 4 fletch with 3" trad vanes is about perfect.

This is the same issue I’ve been battling, getting them to tune. I have them bouncing off shelf as well unless everything is perfect. I’ve tried messing with point weight and knocking point, doesn’t seem to matter. Feathers and even the original AAE trad vanes, no problems.

OP
S

shamus275

FNG

My plan was to give them a go for spring turkey off an elevated rest and see how that goes. I do have concerns about them coming off the shelf clean. I've played with Trad vanes quite a bit over the last year and I agree, durability sucks, they suck to fletch but they are quiet!

My plan was to give them a go for spring turkey off an elevated rest and see how that goes. I do have concerns about them coming off the shelf clean. I've played with Trad vanes quite a bit over the last year and I agree, durability sucks, they suck to fletch but they are quiet!
I got the actual AAE hybrid 26s to tune off a springy rest on my old CD WF21 so I wouldn't see these being a problem off of any rest like that.

I threw an all weather rest on today, problem solved immediately. They are flying straight and smooth. Off the shelf just wasn’t working for me, they’d fly when I was perfect, but how often is everything perfect in the woods?