Absolute Best 5-7 Day Backpacking Trip ID,MT, or WY

In your opinion, what is the top notch backpacking route in either ID MT or WY. Taking my lady out from KY for the first time, will be proposing to her on the trip. Its also my chance to cement the fact that we should move there 100% in her mind, so i want it to be as cool of a trip as possible. I am an experienced backpacker, and would like to stay away from highly crowded trails, fishing would be a plus. Will be going last week of june/first week of july. Thanks!

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
I did a hunting trip in Idaho last year. Backpacked into and hunted around frog lake
2cb1259aaa472f6ea67d1903ad6d335a.jpg

And the dry fly fishing was unreal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Colorado isn't on your list, but a hike that I found very enjoyable and beautiful was in the Weminuche Wilderness. Its the "Elk Park to Needleton Loop" which is~48 miles. You get to see some beautiful country. Towards the end of your hike you end up in Chicago Basin, home to 3 of the "Fourteenrs". Chicago Basin to the Needleton pickup/drop off point can get a little busy during the summer as those checking off Fourteeners are your most frequent visitors. The northern section from Elk Park, up to the divide and down into Chicago is way less traveled. We may have encountered 5 people the entire stretch of that part of the trail. Water access is plentiful as most of the trails run along the rivers. Fishing is possible however we did not take fishing poles.

Only issue right now is per their website the Durango - Silverton Narrow gauge train is not taking passengers currently due to the COVID-19 stuff.

Here are some links to info. I am sure the are more beautiful, more remote, less traveled trails but I did like this one a lot.

OP
bluegrassbackcountry
haha nice bakpakr! that would be pretty cool. thanks for the suggestions all. Have any of yall been to the bighorn crags in ID?

BAKPAKR

WKR
The Bighorn Crags are neat. Ship Island Lake is impressive but nearby Harbor Lake ranks as the prettiest lake I have been to.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Hike through the Thorofare into Yellowstone. You won't find a prettier or more remote place in the lower 48. Bring bear spray and electric fence for the tent.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
A lesser used area of Idaho’s Sawtooth Wilderness are the southern Portion which can be done in a 5-7 loop starting around Atlanta Idaho. You would use the Queens River and South Fork Boise headwaters trail which I believe is also part of or intersects the Centenniel Trail. It’s a beautiful, rugged area with high mountain lakes and a great view of Mt Everly and many other Sawtooth peaks.

mlgc20

WKR
I would recommend Slough Creek or the Black Canyon of Yellowstone. Both are fantastic hikes with great fishing. Slough Creek gets a little more traffic. But, it eases substantially once you get past the first meadow. I have done the Black Canyon of Yellowstone several times. We like to start at the Hellroaring Trailhead and then finish in Gardiner, MT. The first mile is a common dayhike. The rest of the way, you probably won't see another person. Slough Creek is a pretty easy hike. The Black Canyon can be a nice challenge.

The Teton Crest Trail in GTNP is tough to beat for backpacking scenery. It may still be too snowy for your early travel dates though.

Mt Al

WKR
If you want to see some of MTs most spectacular alpine try the beartooth mountains. Go to cooke city then take any trail north and east from there. You will not be disappointed with the scenery.

Oh and congrats!

X2. Lower and Upper Arrow Lakes, or frankly any lake on any of these trails. It's been a jillion years, but heading from Cooke City down to East Rosebud, Mystic Lake, the Boulder or other trail heads.."hike through"..is way cool but you need that other car or transport to make it work.

hobbes

WKR
I can't really help with where, but if your soon to be fiancé is the least bit worried about bears, I'd check high density grizzly country off the list. It won't help you persuade her to move West.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Throw in a vote for the cloud peak wilderness in the big horns. Spent 7 days there last year and beautiful area.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
this thread piques my interest as well, kinda been dreaming wanting to make this a cheap once a year vacation for me and the wife to do, fly out west, 5 days or so backpacking fly back home etc