Absolute Hammer 3150fps from .308 win. I think?

cmahoney

WKR
Look at the mark I highlighted. How is your bolt? Is it any stiffer with those loads?

1e9e3e45fdac7950d12e083800f5ae15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Grabbed some of the cases from a ladder with Varget, don't see any ejector marks (even faint) on them, ran out of case volume w varget before book (same weight bullet) max. The extra firing pin mark is on a couple even at the bottom of the ladder, maybe not perfectly aligned primers?

So with no change in bolt lift, I did get a slight bolt change 0.5 gr up from this load, would you back off more based on the slight Halo?
Look at the mark I highlighted. How is your bolt? Is it any stiffer with those loads?

1e9e3e45fdac7950d12e083800f5ae15.jpg

cmahoney

WKR
I would back off but I’m a pu$$y. My loads are very conservative, I’ve had that same mark on lapua brass in my tikka coupled with a slightly heavy bolt. Hopefully you get a few more opinions from some more experienced guys than me.

Rob5589

WKR
They look "warm" to me. I wouldn't have an issue running them unless you worked up in really low temps and plan to use them when its hot.

sndmn11

WKR
I see a few in the first group picture with ejector marks, and one in the second group picture. You could probably get rid of them fully by seating the bullet deeper.

I’ve spent the last year or so messing with Lapua brass in a 308. Normal bullets like scenars, Nosler ballistic tip, SST so I’m not going to comment on your velocity but if you’re getting ejectors marks on your Lapaua brass I’d say back down a fair amount. According to Quicklod I was running loads at or a little above sammi pressure and my Lapaua brass never showed signs of high pressure. So if yours is showing those ejector marks, I’d say you’re way over pressure… 70,000+ psi??

I see a few in the first group picture with ejector marks, and one in the second group picture. You could probably get rid of them fully by seating the bullet deeper.

Deeper bullet seating = less volume within the case = higher pressure. One exception would be if he’s jamming the bullet into the lands right now. If so, then yes seating a bit deeper would reduce pressure

sndmn11

WKR
Deeper bullet seating = less volume within the case = higher pressure. One exception would be if he’s jamming the bullet into the lands right now. If so, then yes seating a bit deeper would reduce pressure

In my brief experience, testing of seating depth with that being the only variable has shown that to be an old wives' tale. I originally thought it was true. I haven't found a point in seating deeper when the opposite side of the parabola appears. I would guess though that it is when the COAL becomes much less than saami spec and reading on the matter suggests the same.

I'd love to read your experience in testing.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
So the band’s at the base of the bullet is the only part that touches. So seating depth will have very little if anything to do with pressure. Those loads look pretty warm.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Any problem utilizing the 20 or so I have left loaded and backing off with future loads? I'm not really pushing past "max" book loads for the powder for other bullets of same weight, just getting way more velocity. No book guidance for this bullet. I understand each rifle is different. What sort of consequences with a slightly hot round?

Bolt lift is the same as other rounds lower in the ladder, so that wouldn't be guiding my backing off.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
If in doubt, safety first. I’d pull the 20, necksize without the deprimer stem and reload where I feel less concerned. 50 fps less isn’t going to ruin anything.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I am at 2925fps with an 18" 308 lapua brass 152 hh's . 3150fps with absolute's is in the ball park, but most likely on the hot side.
Post a couple pics of your primers, lapua brass is hard to read.
@eoperator what powder are you using for that? I don't want to derail OPs thread too much, but I don't believe I have access to PMs yet. I've got a Ruger Gunsite 18" that I love, and if I could get something close to that, I think it would replace most everything else.

eoperator

WKR
@eoperator what powder are you using for that? I don't want to derail OPs thread too much, but I don't believe I have access to PMs yet. I've got a Ruger Gunsite 18" that I love, and if I could get something close to that, I think it would replace most everything else.
It is cfe223 and lapua brass, moving forward I think I will be using varget that cfe223 has temp stability issues

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
It is cfe223 and lapua brass, moving forward I think I will be using varget that cfe223 has temp stability issues
Thank you--I thought that may be the case. I've got plenty of Varget and was going to be using it for 155gr Scenars, but I'm really intrigued with Hammers.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Ram shot TAC is what Steve at Hammer bullets recommended. I found mixed reviews on temp stability. I loaded a ladder with Varget and found I ran out of case volume before I wanted to. My mag will take up to 3" COAL. Not sure how I feel about seating longer than the 2.810".

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Any issues with how my primers are looking to you guys? They don't looked flattened to me.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Any issues with how my primers are looking to you guys? They don't looked flattened to me.
They look a little flattened to me, but more importantly I see the circle on the brass where it’s flowing back into the ejector. That’s a little telling to me as well. I’d bump it down a bit just to be on the safe side.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Those primers all look cratered a la over pressure. Are you opening the bolt on that pipe bomb with a 2x4? Am i missing something. I shoot a 20" 308 and push 180's @ 2600. I have literally no clue how you are squeezing an additional 500 FPS out of a 150. Like physically, i would not think the .308 case capacity would be great enough to make that happen. Thats like barking on mild 300WM territory, definitely interested to see how that all works out man, be careful!!

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Those primers all look cratered a la over pressure. Are you opening the bolt on that pipe bomb with a 2x4? Am i missing something. I shoot a 20" 308 and push 180's @ 2600. I have literally no clue how you are squeezing an additional 500 FPS out of a 150. Like physically, i would not think the .308 case capacity would be great enough to make that happen. Thats like barking on mild 300WM territory, definitely interested to see how that all works out man, be careful!!
If you're familiar with Hammer Bullets "Absolute Hammer" then it's not that surprising. Those things seem to be made up of unicorn droppings and rainbow juice for what guys are achieving with them.