Absolute necessities on a DIY Drop camp hunt

1200 calories per day won't keep a 180 pound man with a desk job from losing weight.

I usually align with Vern, but I do always take a G-B Small Forest Axe. I use it to split wood for the stove and pound tent stakes and kill grizzlies in my mind. But yes....the saw is tool #1.

All this chatter about t-p, shop towels and wet wipes is making me a bit paranoid. I might add a hand mirror to my hygiene kit.

I second the pulleys, but know how to rig them for moving a moose or hoisting a load. A good set of pulleys are valuable if needed, but worthless without cordage stout enough to handle a moose needing pulled out of a ditch or beaver pond.

@kevindill can you pm me. I ask you some questions

AKDoc

WKR
a fat bag of weed!

It's of course legal in Alaska for adults LB...more power to you, but not my choice.

For me it's a couple sips of a really good Irish whiskey...one of the few times each year that I drink hard liquor. I'm more of a beer guy (quality, not quantity). In the back country at the very end of the day, it's really a good moment for me to sit outside under the night sky (unless the wx is shitty), and have a couple of sips while my Mountain House meal is sealed in its pouch "cooking" which I have placed inside my coat on my chest...that is awesome! It's second best to do the aforementioned in the tipi to be out of the wind and rain!

...BTW the way, I learned the hard way (twice) that I have to stay seated with that pouch under my coat or it may unseal itself...my clothes smelled like beef stew for a week.

Last edited:

mooster

WKR
oh wow, I don't recall weed in my hunter safety classes. Cmon, guys there's a larger forum audience out there besides consenting adults .

NUGGET

WKR
oh wow, I don't recall weed in my hunter safety classes. Cmon, guys there's a larger forum audience out there besides consenting adults .
Interesting you don’t call out the liquor comments....

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
ugh, add a tampon to your list, sir. I'm more afraid of perfectly legal alcohol and hunters more than hunters with the perfectly legal weed.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doc, OUCH! There has got to be a meme somewhere about the pouch seal blunders. Although, I would have LMFAO to see your beef stew mess. Try "shaking" a Mountain House and not having a firm grip on the zipper...my dog has gotten a many of servings after i sloshed it onto the gravel. She always eats it with her ears laid back like she knows I made a huge mistake to her advantage and she's not sure if I'll renig!

mooster

WKR
I don’t care for alcohol either out hunting. Sounds like you are guys have your panties in a wad. Hunt sober or stay home. Got to be kids on here that look up to you all also. Can’t believe I’m the only one with enough spine to say so but that’s OK. I don’t mind y’all throwing rocks as I know I’m on the right side of it. Have a good afternoon.

NUGGET

WKR
I don’t care for alcohol either out hunting. Sounds like you are guys have your panties in a wad. Hunt sober or stay home. Got to be kids on here that look up to you all also. Can’t believe I’m the only one with enough spine to say so but that’s OK. I don’t mind y’all throwing rocks as I know I’m on the right side of it. Have a good afternoon.
Calm down. No one is hunting while under the influence.
Beer, wine, cannabis, etc all taste better in the woods. Nothing like sitting around a fire with a 65” bull rack there celebrating a successful hunt that took 3 days to pack out that bull. The beer never tasted so good!

AKDoc

WKR

No rocks from me...I don't tolerate drunkenness in hunting camp with others nor myself. It's a rigid rule for me and those I choose to have with me. I suspect that there are people who use a hunting trip to get drunk, but I don't know them nor would they be with me. If people want to get drunk they should stay home and do not handle firearms. I don't smoke or use weed, so I'm not sure about what equals a couple of sips there.

I was referring to literally having a couple of sips of whiskey at the end of the day only...and that's it...truly. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify to others.

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Doc, OUCH! There has got to be a meme somewhere about the pouch seal blunders. Although, I would have LMFAO to see your beef stew mess. Try "shaking" a Mountain House and not having a firm grip on the zipper...my dog has gotten a many of servings after i sloshed it onto the gravel. She always eats it with her ears laid back like she knows I made a huge mistake to her advantage and she's not sure if I'll renig!

That's funny LB...and the worse part is that Beef Stew is my absolutely least favorite Mountain House of them all, so to have done that on a two-week trip with only one change of clothes, and having to smell that continuously for 24/7 or 14 was one of Dante's Circles for me.