Adak Trip 2024

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello,
I just won a bunch of Alaska Airlines miles through my company Christmas party, so I decided I'm going to use it to go to tropical Adak! Yes, I know there are better places to hunt caribou in Alaska (I'm an Alaskan Resident), but I do not care. I've always wanted to go to Adak for an adventure. I'm currently writing an Alaskan cookbook, so this will be some neat content for it as well. I have some questions for those of you that have done it.

What are the best months to go? I've heard the rut is a little later than mainland AK. I know the weather sucks 390 days a year there, so that isn't really a factor for me, but are there any seasons that it tends to be a tad better? I'm fully equipped for any season, being an Alaskan resident.

Where do the transporters drop you off on the "South side" of the island generally? Is it more on the Yakak Peninsula or False bay or elsewhere? Or does it really just depend? I'm trying to get a sense of where to do some e-scounting.

For ptarmigan, is it worth it to bring a little .22 pistol or similar? I've heard both that they're all over the island and I've also heard they're way up high and hard to get to.

I'm debating bringing my dad. He's not really mobile, cant hike, etc. But he loves coming along for the adventure. Are there better months/times where the bou might be around the road system where he might have a chance to watch/road hunt/whatever? I have enough airline miles to bring him along as well, so it wouldn't be a big deal. We could just rent a place to stay at instead of going off the grid. Maybe I go out a couple days and stay with him a couple days, still early stages of planning, so it's still just an idea.

Can you rent those bunker things on the island to pitch a tent in? I saw that in a youtube video somewhere. Use those as a basecamp where it cuts the wind. Or are those basically around the town?

What are the general truck/ATV rental prices? I can't find any prices online anywhere and curious how much they are.

Is there a place to get jet boil fuel there? Or is it just white gas or whatever at the gas station?

Thanks! I'm sure I'll think of about a million other questions as soon as I post this.

Starcraft

FNG
Hello,
I just won a bunch of Alaska Airlines miles through my company Christmas party, so I decided I'm going to use it to go to tropical Adak! Yes, I know there are better places to hunt caribou in Alaska (I'm an Alaskan Resident), but I do not care. I've always wanted to go to Adak for an adventure. I'm currently writing an Alaskan cookbook, so this will be some neat content for it as well. I have some questions for those of you that have done it.

What are the best months to go? I've heard the rut is a little later than mainland AK. I know the weather sucks 390 days a year there, so that isn't really a factor for me, but are there any seasons that it tends to be a tad better? I'm fully equipped for any season, being an Alaskan resident.

Where do the transporters drop you off on the "South side" of the island generally? Is it more on the Yakak Peninsula or False bay or elsewhere? Or does it really just depend? I'm trying to get a sense of where to do some e-scounting.

For ptarmigan, is it worth it to bring a little .22 pistol or similar? I've heard both that they're all over the island and I've also heard they're way up high and hard to get to.

I'm debating bringing my dad. He's not really mobile, cant hike, etc. But he loves coming along for the adventure. Are there better months/times where the bou might be around the road system where he might have a chance to watch/road hunt/whatever? I have enough airline miles to bring him along as well, so it wouldn't be a big deal. We could just rent a place to stay at instead of going off the grid. Maybe I go out a couple days and stay with him a couple days, still early stages of planning, so it's still just an idea.

Can you rent those bunker things on the island to pitch a tent in? I saw that in a youtube video somewhere. Use those as a basecamp where it cuts the wind. Or are those basically around the town?

What are the general truck/ATV rental prices? I can't find any prices online anywhere and curious how much they are.

Is there a place to get jet boil fuel there? Or is it just white gas or whatever at the gas station?

Thanks! I'm sure I'll think of about a million other questions as soon as I post this.
Hi, we were out in the first part of sept, we had our plane crash earlier so backup was adak. We used aleutian Outfitters as out stay and truck rental and took a fishing charter with them and they transpoted us to the south island to pick up our caribou. Great people ,I highly recommend!! Ptarmigan wer plentyful around Adak. Very easy to hunt them on the road system. Bring dad for birds but do not hunt caibou from the north end at the end of the road,Caribou are on the south end close to the ocean , If thats your plan , be transported to the south end and camp with or without your dad. bunkers are around town to 2 miles out, zero caribou near town at this time would not stay in a bunker. we hiked 8+ miles from the end of the rode system and didnt see caibou till you are close to the south side. We killed one Bull and turned one down because of the distance and walked 23 miles to get back to camp and another 6 miles walk after the transporter dropped us off. I think the truck rental was around $200. a day.
There is only a store with limited supplies onlyopen at certain times. gas station is unmaned cedit card only @ $6.60 a gal.
The caribou migrate to adak around the 1st of the year, bulls are shed by that time tehy go north.
sounds like meat hunting at that time, there are better places to hunt caribou. The only animal there besides millions of rats but I never seen one.
hope this helps some.
Todd

Hunted adak in 2022 and starcraft is right on the money. We killed two bulls about 6 miles south of the road system and it took my dad and I a full 3 days to get those suckers packed pack to the truck.

Ptarmigan are plentiful near the road system and a hoot to hunt from the truck. Your dad will enjoy that.

I’m booked to go back in late October for another hike in hunt, so let me know if you end up making the trip.