Adjusting hunt plans

With IFG eliminating some controlled hunts, CWD on the landscape (with the subsequent scorched earth approach they took over the winter), I am having to adjust my plans for this year. This isn't a bad thing per se , it may bring me back into some of the areas I hunted in my younger days. I haven't hunted muleys for a handfull of years unless I drew a CH, so I have been concentrating on whitetail in the northern part of the state.
I grew up hunting the MF zone before the units were broken up into the current management zones. It may be time to put the pack on and head back into the FC.
There is still lead in the air, waiting on controlled hunt results. But I am kind of looking forward to some new or re-visited hunting areas.
Edited to add, who else is adjusting their plans by necessity?

Last edited:
This may be the first year in a while my plans haven’t changed one bit, my plans have pretty much been cemented since the new year,
I do wish I would’ve drawn a sheep tag so my plans could’ve changed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Customweld
This may be the first year in a while my plans haven’t changed one bit, my plans have pretty much been cemented since the new year,
I do wish I would’ve drawn a sheep tag so my plans could’ve changed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife and daughter struck out on moose. I was hoping to have to plan around that. Maybe general draws will smile down on me.

280Ackley

WKR
We are in the same boat. I put our family in for all different kinds of hunts this year. If we draw half of them we will be in for an adventure!!

My wife, myself and both boys have lifetime licenses. Since we moved back to MT, Idaho is the state that we adjust our plans for. We only apply for controlled hunts. The general hunts either don’t compete, conflict with other hunts and/or we just simply got out priced. I’ll pay for a good controlled hunt, but not for the generals. That said, Idaho has some excellent mule deer units.

CorbLand

WKR
My wife drew a general season rifle deer tag so I will have to adjust my pack to fit better with a Kevlar vest.

In all seriousness, not really adjusting much this year. I have hunted the same tag for about 5 years. Just need to figure out how find and KILL an above average buck.