Adult Onset Hunter from Maryland

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone! Marylander here. I started hunting in 2018 so I'm going into my third (whitetail) season. I wasn't raised hunting, no one in my family hunts - didn't have a mentor. Other than a friend that I recently reconnected with I've just being figuring it out as I go along.

So far I've only hunted whitetail on small private lands (<5 acres) that have deer cruising through. It's been primarily treestand and ground-based being set up near game trails. I've been fortunate enough to harvest deer both in my first and second seasons, with rifle and crossbow, one of which was an 8 point!

This season I'd like to branch out into public lands. I want to go through the process of scouting, finding an area/spot, hiking in, carrying my gear, etc.. The private lands where I hunt are very small and the stand/blinds in both locations are very close to where I park. There is no hike, no scouting, you just show up and sit down. Don't get me wrong, that can be nice, but I want to broaden my experience. I want to feel like I'm "out in the wilderness" and not "in the backyard".

Without giving up your "spots" I'd love to hear from anyone with experience hunting public lands in Maryland. Any particular areas I should explore or avoid entierly? I'm located in the northern part of Region B. Thanks in advance!

I hope that by joining the forum I can expand my knowledge-base and grow as a hunter.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome yard candy. Hopefully some one will chime in with some Maryland public land tactics.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I see "Eastern Utah" under your avatar, @realunlucky. I've got family out there. I have a goal to hunt there one day. What's the tag process like for Elk in Utah?

In Maryland the whitetail process is simple. Everyone is allowed to harvest up to a certain number of deer based on your region. There is no lotto or 'draw' for whitetail tags. As a new hunter I assumed that's what it was like everywhere. I quickly learned that is not the case!

How much land do your relatives own in Utah?

For the most part your looking at either building points for a while or purchasing a tag.

Welcome from VA.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I was asking as landowner tags are available in Utah.

Looks like it will be points or pony up the money, which one used to laugh at but as expensive as points are getting it doesn't seem so bad to buy a tag.
Good to know. It's a "one day" dream, I was just curious. Thanks for sharing!

Wlog

FNG
Hey another MD guy here. I’m new to rokslide also. Public land in MD is just like anywhere really. There’s pressure on every property and half the battle is patterning the other hunters. People are creatures of habit though. They are usually easier to figure out than the deer.

Numbers vary by property but you can get on deer on every public property if you put in the time to figure out where they go and travel to avoid people.

Wlog

FNG
I appreciate you taking the time to share that @Wlog

One thing you have going for you as a guy with no hunters in your family or mentors is open mindedness. I think sometimes we can have bad habits passed on. Some of the very best hunters are self taught.

Too bad you don’t appreciate what you already have! At least trying to hunt public will give you a better appreciation for your success.

for Utah I would definitely look at mule deer first. Way better first time western experience and easier to learn on and easier to get a tag. Application for a tag is in the spring- March. Not too hard for a Non resident to get a general deer tag. May need a point or two for a better unit so start putting in 2021 so you can draw for sure in the next few years

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I know folks who did the same as you in MD, mostly archery. Maybe look to West Virginia and you'll get bigger swaths of land and some national forests. If I remember right, limits on deer or different in Eastern and Western MD.

VA is another option. Sure, you are paying out of state license fees but chump change compared to western hunt. Would work if you can put together a five day hunt to negate the impact of a 4-8 hour drive (not sure where you are in MD).