Adventures with Fatcamp 2022

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
So a bit more about our trip.

She decided she wanted a popup camper late this summer, tired of setting up our Kodiak. Found one cheap with good canvas and put a lift kit and bigger tires on it, insulated the windows, tore out all the cabinets and put a sold piece of vinyl down on the floor. It has worked well this Fall. Still working out some bugs but on this trip we were warm and safe.

Travels good at 75mph and caused us no problems. Tear down time to on the road was 70 minutes.

20221111_084842.jpg

The rocks we found that we thought were turtles are apparently not. We found a different area that had thousands of them weathering out of the hillside. A really cool area.

20221113_124919.jpg

She is saving the hide from this deer to work with. We didn't skin in the best way as it was a decision made mid butcher, but we ended up close to a road so it wasn't hard to get out.

20221114_102149.jpg

I have a rifle whitetail tag and an archery any deer tag. I hunt different areas for these tags and have decided to hunt the archery tag. I have two days following Thanksgiving and we will camp out on the Grasslands.

In the end I would rather not kill a mule deer with a bow than shoot a whitetail with a rifle.

hobbes

WKR
Well, 15 miles from home the popup self destructed at 75mph. Home for the Kodiak and back on the road!

Set up in the dark and then up at 4 to be on the glassing rim before sunrise.
The "self destruct" doesn't sound good. Good luck on the hunt.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, plenty early to the glassing knob. Couldn't sleep anyway. Winds blowing pretty good.

Found a buck bedded in the dark on the way in at a place I've never even seen a deer. That combined with the lack of tracks on the road in has me optimistic that there will be deer out there when the sun comes up.

Wish I brought some coffee. 🙃

hobbes

WKR
Hope it's worked out for you man. I couldn't find my way back to hunt so have been fairly depressed the last couple days. It'd be great to see you succeed.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
4 stalks. 141 yards is the best I could do. The does keep taking them to barren areas to bed.

Pretty cool day. Wind is gonna be better tomorrow. Direction today was not ideal.

I got a plan!

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Hope it's worked out for you man. I couldn't find my way back to hunt so have been fairly depressed the last couple days. It'd be great to see you succeed.

Man, I know how it is. This is my last trip of the year. Hunted every bit of light there was. 😆

Mule deer with a bow are my nemesis. Hope I can share a win!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Maybe you need to put a duct tape cheek rest on your rifle. good luck comes in different forms.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Maybe you need to put a duct tape cheek rest on your rifle. good luck comes in different forms.

LoL. Wife thought that one was pretty funny.

I don't have a problem killing deer with a rifle, it's that dang bow. Could have killed 4 nice bucks this weekend with a rifle. Bow? ☹️

Maybe my bow needs some duct tape?

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Amazing morning. No moon and the area we are in has almost no light pollution. Stars were incredible. Cold.

Bed a fork horn at sunrise but know him and couldn't bear to shoot him. Lots of coyotes.

Found a 4x4 with a hot doe and the stalk was going very well until "Spork" showed up and got everyone excited. Those does just know how to bed to cut off any chance of a successful stalk. He was a beautiful buck.

Done for the season. I'm ready

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
20230118_095250.jpg

So her rifle got a makeover. Limbsaver, some paint(her choice), Beartooth stock riser, cleaned and cold blued the muzzle, rings rail and a new SWFA.

Sure hope it still shoots as it was MOA before I tore it apart. 😅