Advice and tips for Western Washington archery elk hunt South of Rainier?

jcojocaru

FNG
I am a first time hunter, have been preparing/practicing/training and learning for the last 8 months or so, listening to as many podcasts as possible, doing online researching and scouting etc. I have had nobody whatsoever to teach me outside the internet. My brother who is less prepared and hasn't put in nearly the work learning and preparing will be with me, but he's in much better shape than I am (I'm in pretty good shape myself imo).

I'm planning to hunt September 8-10 sort of as a scouting trip and maybe I get lucky, and take time off work to hunt September 13-21. With all the studying and e-scouting I've done (also planning to scout in person each weekend until hunting season starts), I still feel so unprepared, but I don't care and am getting out there no matter what.

What would you recommend packing for this trip? I have a good idea but I don't want to miss anything important.
How would you hunt heavily timbered areas? What would you look for in timbered areas?

Thanks for any advice!

RockJock1

FNG
I've hunted 516/513 on and off for the last few years, and every 3 pt + bull knows exactly where the boundaries are between public and private land. You are more likely to see elk walking past the horsehoe pits at the brewery in Packwood than anywhere on public lands in 513 or 516. I haven't scoped it out yet, but the area that burnt during the Goat Rocks fire last summer may have produced some new clearings in 516. I'll probably check that area out this year.

OP
jcojocaru

jcojocaru

FNG
I've hunted 516/513 on and off for the last few years, and every 3 pt + bull knows exactly where the boundaries are between public and private land. You are more likely to see elk walking past the horsehoe pits at the brewery in Packwood than anywhere on public lands in 513 or 516. I haven't scoped it out yet, but the area that burnt during the Goat Rocks fire last summer may have produced some new clearings in 516. I'll probably check that area out this year.
I've abandoned 513/516 and am going to 560. I tried to get to that goat rocks fire but every road to it was closed 2 weeks ago, and it would have taken a much longer hike than I was willing to make to get there otherwise. But I'm sure I missed something so don't take my word for it.