Advice for an overthinking dummy

Erev803

FNG
Looking to buy a new hunting rifle in 308 and I’m also wanting to get a can for it. I like both Tikka and Bergara (holding them in store, haven’t shot either). I also know this site is a 💯 Tikka and Bergara is trash site. My dilemma is… bang for you buck. The ridge in 308 comes with everything I’m wanting in the gun for a good bit cheaper then the roughtech. I researched and know that Bergara has some grouping problems but a good warranty. 3 shot groupings ain’t a huge deal to me. I’m hunting in SC and my longest shot will be 350 yards and in and I just want my first shot to go exactly where I aim. If the follow up shot is within an inch it’s not the end of the world. So with all that being said is an 18 inch barrel the way to go or is 20 the way to go? Yes, I’m an over thinker and yes I want yall experience with both guns and advice. Thanks

eric1115

WKR
I would 100% get a regular T3x and have it cut and threaded for the can if the roughtech is stretching the budget, rather than going with the Bergara (and I own a ridge that I really like). Tikka has better (and safer) trigger, better action design, for sure more consistent barrels than new Bergara. I'd go 18" or less if the plan is to go suppressed all the time.

OP
E

Erev803

FNG
I could do a roughtech but figured the barrel is a little long on it and wouldn’t want to cut it down. Why do you recommend the tikka over the Bergara when you have a ridge you like?

Brabell12

FNG
I had a bergara in 308, tried a Tikka and immediately made the switch to Tikka. I would suggest the CTR in 308, comes with a 20” barrel and can put a vert grip which made me shoot way better!

lelliott8

FNG
Is there a reason you are looking at the roughtech? Odds are you could buy a normal t3x, have it cut and threaded, and you'd have an easier to handle barrel length and likely have spent less.

180ls1

WKR
None of your concerns matter.

You'll kill, wound or miss just the same if you have 18" or 20." On a whim, I'd go 20" as there is more load data.

You wont our shoot either gun in field and since everything is close (350 or less) I bet the Bergara will get it done for less $$$.

triglet40

FNG
Roughtech is available in 20 this year as well if memory serves me correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy what you like, but the Tikka is a better rifle. Get a .308 if you like, but the .243/6.5 CM/7-08 are better cartridges. Life’s too short to listen to others. Buy the Bergera, use it, and enjoy it. In a few years, you can upgrade to the Tikka and get another jolt of NRE (new rifle excitement) and the only negative is the Bergara lying dormant in the safe.

If you can find a stainless 308 like they sell 6.5s at gunzonedeals, get one and have it shipped directly to kampfeld (who last charged me $110 for a chop/thread on factory tikka). Cash in on the $75 tikka rebate if ordered this month.

Paint it if that's what makes you happy.

Or buy a bergara and hope it shoots/functions well. Either should be fine. One seems like it's more likely to be what you expect than the other.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I own two bergara rifles both in 308 one is stock the other not. Both of my best friends also own bergara 308s all 4 purchased at different stores all in different years across the last 6 years most recent being mid 2023 all 4 shoot sub moa with 164 mil surplus 165 170 175 and 180 loads both of my friends have taken deer and elk with theirs and love them. Get whatever makes you happy and go shoot is what I say I dont think you will go wrong. Buy the bergara and spend the money saved on ammo.