Advice on Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT

JCT

FNG
I ordered and received said shelter. I set it up in my yard and like it a lot. Mind you my go to small packable tent has been a
Eurecka Timberline 2. Five pounds and small. The MS is a huge upgrade.
Now to the issue. I live in Maryland so humidity is part of life. I set up the MS on wet/saturated ground.
The condensation has been terrible. Seriously. First night I slept in it it was dripping and my bag was soaked.
Its has been up for 5 days and the condensation is still pretty bad even with the front open and no one staying in it.
Sunny days and the sides were still wet. Knock off the condensation, return 3-4 hours later and its there again.
I think I already know the answer but would like some imput. I think small floorless shelters in my climate may not be the best idea. I have used light weight tarps and never had an issue. (lots of airflow). Spent 4 yrs in CO and floorless was never an issue either.
Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
JT

OP
J

JCT

FNG
Side note, I bought this for a hunt in ID (because it was dirt cheap also) and have confidence in it for that hunt so no worries but I like to use my stuff year round.

Poser

WKR
You can experiment with the elevation of your trekking poles to get more ventilation around the edges.

OP
J

JCT

FNG
Thanks Poser, maybe I should try that. I left the front wide open for a day and wasnt much help but maybe more "gap" under the sides will
promote the right type of air flow. I will try it.
Again thanks
JT

I use a MS in Idaho on my elk hunts and have no issues. I would probably not use one at home here in PA.

OP
J

JCT

FNG
Thanks Arbutusbucks, like I said I think I already know the answer but I'm holding out for the magical
solution. In my area even a tent with fly will have some condensation overnight.
The ground is just so wet/saturated there is a green house effect I believe.
I have a Davis wall tent and have used it a bunch, it gets lost of condensation also but is not an issue due to its size.
I appreciate the response
JT

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
tyvek worked for me here in texas, plenty of water standing everywhere , record rain falls. I layed my tyvek out and stake straight through if its not going to rain. if it rains tyvek gets layed up on the inside walls like a tub