Mountain Star vs Niak

Hello all, since this question is somewhat specific, I didn't want to hijack someone else's shelter thread.

I'm looking to purchase my first backcountry shelter and I believe I have it narrowed down to two. The shelter will primarily be used for 7-14 days in early season. Lots of archery elk, but I fantasize about being a sheep hunter. I've been reading old threads for a few weeks now, researching many of the recommendations mentioned, and I believe I have it narrowed down to the KUIU Mountain Star w/ aluminum poles or the Hilleberg Niak.

The Mountain Star is 5oz lighter and $350+ cheaper(when not on sale). I want the Niak, but my gut(maybe wallet) keeps telling me the Mountain Star will do everything I need it too. Is there an important detail I'm missing between the two? I'm someone who prefers to buy once and be done with it.

Last edited:
I have both shelters. The Mountain Star does everything that the Niak does, but I would say that it woud be a better early season shelter in the lower 48 due to the mesh inner. It is a very comfortable shelter and the dual vestibules are great for organization and storage.

The reason I have the Niak is that it has a slightly smaller footprint and the solid inner is warmer on later season hunts here in Alaska. It is not however any more storm worthy than the MS, I would even argue that the MS is a bit better in the wind with its short 3rd crossing pole. The Niak will last longer though, as it uses more durable fabrics. When calculating the weight, I would always include the footprint for the MS, which I do not use with the Niak.

OP
jppedersen48
I have both shelters. The Mountain Star does everything that the Niak does, but I would say that it woud be a better early season shelter in the lower 48 due to the mesh inner. It is a very comfortable shelter and the dual vestibules are great for organization and storage.

The reason I have the Niak is that it has a slightly smaller footprint and the solid inner is warmer on later season hunts here in Alaska. It is not however any more storm worthy than the MS, I would even argue that the MS is a bit better in the wind with its short 3rd crossing pole. The Niak will last longer though, as it uses more durable fabrics. When calculating the weight, I would always include the footprint for the MS, which I do not use with the Niak.
Thank you, @B_Reynolds_AK . Footprint with the MS just because of difference in fabrics? I see they both are bathtub style floors and both have an optional footprint. I'm glad you brought that up as it was one of the other questions I had from my research.

Thank you, @B_Reynolds_AK . Footprint with the MS just because of difference in fabrics? I see they both are bathtub style floors and both have an optional footprint. I'm glad you brought that up as it was one of the other questions I had from my research.
MS floor is paper thin. Niak is burly. My first of 3 MS’s was used and had a ton of pinholes in the floor. I’ve never put a single hole in half a dozen Hille’s.

Last edited:
OP
jppedersen48
Good to know. My FIL has a MS and likes it but he only has a handful of nights in it. I was leaning towards MS but might do the Niak and not worry about it.

I'm trying to be conscious of weight, and the above two mentioned seemed reasonable on weight with adequate protection. If truly looking to go as light as possible, does anyone have experience with the Hilleberg Enan? The 1lb weight savings sounds nice. Or if trying to go ultra light should I grab a tarp, especially early season? As an inexperienced backpack hunter, the 4 walls and a floor sound nice, but you don't grow staying in your comfort zone.

Aaron W

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Niak. Having the single vestibule bothers me. The vestibule also zips down the center which if the fly is covered with water/condensation you have to manage both sides when unzipping. Maybe a lot of tents are this way, i have limited experience but I had an old REI tent that you could just whip it to one side since the zipper wasn't in the center...seemed to keep things dryer when exiting.

I had an issue where the elastic cord in the poles became inelastic. Hilleberg provided me new cord material to fix/replace.

I'm not a huge backpacker so my advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Overall it is a nice tent. The floor seems very durable. It is definitely a warmer tent so that could be good or bad.

For the price difference if I had to do it again I'd be looking at the Kuiu.

Just to poke a little fun...if you're thinking about becoming a sheep hunter than the extra few hundred bucks is the least of your concern!

OP
jppedersen48
Just to poke a little fun...if you're thinking about becoming a sheep hunter than the extra few hundred bucks is the least of your concern!
A Colorado statewide bighorn tag could buy a guy plenty of shelters to try. Or even a handful of Alaskan sheep tags and I let the guide provide the shelter. :)

I'm now down the rabbit hole of floorless shelters with a bivy. I was confident I had this figured out when I created the thread. Thanks for the input!