Afognak Island October Hunt

Me and 3 guys are heading to Afognak Island in October for Sitka. One guy drew a Cow Elk tag and us other 3 are going with him to hunt Blacktail. I have never been to Alaska, what are some do's and don'ts of hunting Blacktail? I always like to reach out to people who have done something before me and get their opinions. Tactics Must have gear, Etc. Thanks.

There's a kajillion self-help videos, self-help books and inspirational internet threads pertaining to what you're about to endeavor upon.

You know I thought that too. 95% of the videos I have watched are all boat based hunts. Seems like the first her from the coast you get the better hunting there is. Who knows. I do believe afognak is alot of old growth big timber until you get into the clear cuts. Seems like if your deer hunting slowly slowly walking through the trees would be a good strategy. I am sick of hunting in trees makes me feel like I am back in MN that's why we are headed to south kodiak. Good luck on your trip!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
I'm guessing you have probably already read this thread, but on the outside chance you haven't here's the link. Good luck and hope this helps.
PS
Report back after your hunt.

If you are late enough in October to catch the pre-rut, we had great luck with doe bleat calls and Montana style decoys. Called in a half dozen bucks that way. Hats with ears on them for stalking can work also. The Predator bow mounted decoy would be with me on my next trip. Have fun!