I need to learn to bugle and cow call before September

PRSHunter

FNG
Despite a few of my early readings suggesting that Afognak Roosevelt elk are quiet, Alaska F&G confirmed they do indeed bugle and cow call, especially during the rut when I am headed there in late September this year. I also like how some folks trudging through the thick stuff making noise will use cow calls to hide their presence - seems smart.

I have NEVER called to Elk before. I don't own a bugle horn nor a cow call. My wife and neighbors are going to hate me this summer.

Any "Elk bugling 101 for beginners" courses out there o_O

mlob1one

WKR
I don't know of a better, more articulate biologist/hunter than Chris Roe.

He'll not only tell you what calls mean and when to use them, but will show you footage where the elk are making and responding to their own calls. He'll replicate the vocalization to test and have the same results. He's absolutely brilliant.

This is where I'd start. He's helped me tag out on several elk based on his understanding and easily digestible format.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Usi05

WKR
Guys above have great suggestions.

I’d start simpler though and try a handful of diaphragms in your mouth to get the feel and positioning right. That is what took me the longest.

After I could make sounds consistently I started listening to some of guys above.

Elknut app is worth it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jchamwv

FNG
If you want to learn how to use diaphragms watch Corey Jacobsen or Dirk Durham. After that get the Elknut app and learn what you are saying to the elk.

ShakeDown

WKR
Don’t get stuck on mouth diaphragms, external reed calls are easier for some (most?) beginners due to palate shape, finding the right reed, and learning back pressure.

You definitely don't want to practice when your wife is around.

I think the best thing to do is buy a reed, learn to use it, and then try and copy the sounds made in this video,