Aftermarket Tikka Magazine PRC, SAUM, WSM platforms

As most of you know, the tikka platform is becoming very very popular for semi-custom rifle builds. What used to be a fairly common rifle to find in the local pawn shops is non-existent. They make a fantastic platform for the WSM/SAUM/PRC platform with their medium lengh magazines (3.4"). But you got to know your way around the aftermarket bottom metals, AICS magazine types/lengths (double stack center feed for the SA, WSM vs non WSM mags, Single stack single feed for the long action mags...etc) and what will work with your particular case. Plus you need to add an M5 (most common inlet used) type bottom metal ($$$) and modify your factory stock to fit the new bottom metal and magazine. The AICS mags are a bit heavy, and they can also be quite noisy... neither of which I like. The long action (even in a 3 round setup) tend to protrude from the stock line a bit more than my liking as well for a hunting rig.

The factory plastic mags with the 3.4" COAL don't fit the WSM/SAUM/PRC cases as the magazine body are too narrow. The factory tikka "WSM" magazine has a wider magazine body, but they limit the COAL to under 2.9" which is a problem.

There's some aftermarket solutions out there, but none of them are simple/budget minded and effective, nor are they built/designed right. There's some obvious shortcuts that were made and features that may be well intended but are completely useless. I'm working on a magazine that's purpose built for the WSM/SAUM/PRC cases. It will work with factory bottom metal, fit 3 down and 1 in the chamber, and should solve a big need in the world of semi-custom tikka builds. We're also thinking of offering a billet factory bottom metal replacement for those of you who want to get rid of the factory plastic.

What sets this magazine apart from anything else on the market is its designed with proper "shoulder stops" inside the magazine body, better feed lip design, and it will fit your rifle as is. This is a full billet setup, not stamped steel with repurposed springs from other magazines... The shoulder stops will keep your cases from slamming forward into the front of the mag and possibly affecting your seating depth and marring the bullet tips at the same time. It will be easily disassembled, work with your factory setups, will not be "tippy" in your bottom metal (common problem with XYZ brand), will not rattle, and will feed like a dream.

We've got a few prints already out and I'm attaching them below. With this design, we've got to order a LOT of custom made springs for them, which adds a big jump in price for initial setup. Final retail on them will likely be around $80. I'd like to put together a group buy on here if we get enough people interested. Group buy pricing would likely be $55 to get everything rolling, and I believe we'd need 20-25 mags to be committed to. Material is already priced out and the design is done. Springs would be available and delivered mid July and we should have them back from anodizing by early August.

So, is anybody interested? :)

Mike @ Hells Canyon Armory

Attachments

• tikka mag assembly bottom.jpg
    tikka mag assembly bottom.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 207
  • tikka mag assembly front.jpg
    tikka mag assembly front.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 203
  • tikka mag assembly iso.jpg
    tikka mag assembly iso.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 215
  • tikka mag assembly top.jpg
    tikka mag assembly top.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 212

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Will this work in a factory WSM to enable longer COAL? I’m sure it requires the bolt stop mod for the factory WSM, but can you verify that also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

work765

WKR
If you’re making one that will fit into a 223 Varmint factory stock, you’ll have a customer.

I literately just sent my magazine back to Berreta this morning! A brand new rifle. And every 3rd or 4th bullet the damn bolt won’t catch the casing lip. And it doesn’t feed.

$1000 gun and the lame mag won’t feed for shit.

OP
HellsCanyon
100% interested!!! Shut up and take my money. The one I currently use from that company in Montana certainly works and allows for as much COAL as one would ever need in a WSM but I like the looks of your design. Just make sure it snaps into the bottom “metal” without needing to bend the mag retainer “spring” super hard to keep the mag from popping loose.
We've got another idea that we may integrate to help keep it very secure but I don't think we'll need it!

Will this work in a factory WSM to enable longer COAL? I’m sure it requires the bolt stop mod for the factory WSM, but can you verify that also?

Yes! It will get you over over 1/2" more room inside the mags. Bolt stop mods are easy to do at home if you've got a bench vise and a metal file!

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
If you’re making one that will fit into a 223 Varmint factory stock, you’ll have a customer.

I literately just sent my magazine back to Berreta this morning! A brand new rifle. And every 3rd or 4th bullet the damn bolt won’t catch the casing lip. And it doesn’t feed.

$1000 gun and the lame mag won’t feed for shit.

Unfortunately the .223 case won't work with our current design. Case body is too narrow and would need different feed lips. At a later date, very possible! But right now we're focusing on the short/fat magnums!

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Yes! It will get you over over 1/2" more room inside the mags. Bolt stop mods are easy to do at home if you've got a bench vise and a metal file!

Mike

OK, Mike. Sounds like a winner! I’ll just swap out for a long action bolt stop.

I’m in for one at $55. With the factory mags at $45, this is an easy decision.

weaver

WKR
I'm in. You addressed every problem I had with mtn tacticals mag in your description.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Mike, I talked to you about doing a build on my tikka a few weeks ago. I’ve decided to wait til after hunting season this year to do it but I’m guessing this would be perfect for my desire to chamber in the 7 Sherman max & AG Composites stock? Let me know what I need to do for the group buy & we will make it happen. Thanks

I’m in for one! Checked out a mountain tactical LA WSM mag my buddy has and was very disappointed in fitment. Your design looks much better, at a lower price. Sold!

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like that you modeled reasonably sized radii into the corners. I see parts from high paid engineers that has sharp corners in something like that and then they don't understand why I can't machine it in a mill.

(y)(y)