Ag composites vs McMillan stocks?

I’m currently looking at replacing my proof research stock that’s on my proof elevation rifle, I want to sell that stock ( not sure how much it’s worth since they don’t sell them anymore it looks like ) but I’m wanting to replace it with either a McMillan rem hunter or an ag composite stock… those who have tried both what are the differences other than wait time which isn’t a huge deal to me…

I’ve been researching this as well. But between ag and manners. So far leaning towards the ag just because of wait time. If it wasn’t for that I’d probably go with the manners lrh.

OP
Joshuajosh
I’ve been researching this as well. But between ag and manners. So far leaning towards the ag just because of wait time. If it wasn’t for that I’d probably go with the manners lrh.
Not looking at McMillan ?

SDHNTR

WKR
I have both. The Rem hunter is a very trim stock. It’s not going to fit any fat barrels if that matters to you. The lines are more traditional. It’s not well suited to a high mounted scope/big objective, and its design is certainly not conducive to long range accuracy.

You didn’t state which AG you were considering so hard to comment there. I do think the build quality between the two is similar. Both are well made.

OP
Joshuajosh
I have both. The Rem hunter is a very trim stock. It’s not going to fit any fat barrels if that matters to you. The lines are more traditional. It’s not well suited to a high mounted scope/big objective, and its design is certainly not conducive to long range accuracy.

You didn’t state which AG you were considering so hard to comment there. I do think the build quality between the two is similar. Both are well made.
It’s a proof sendaro light, not sure if that will fit, I’m looking at the ag cat, it has a Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42 so nothing crazy and I don’t shoot past 1000 pretty much ever, it’s a long range hunting rifle but I usualy use it within 500 yds, I have looked at some of the McMillan pistol grip style stocks and I’m considering one of them.

SDHNTR

WKR
It’s a proof sendaro light, not sure if that will fit, I’m looking at the ag cat, it has a Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42 so nothing crazy and I don’t shoot past 1000 pretty much ever, it’s a long range hunting rifle but I usualy use it within 500 yds, I have looked at some of the McMillan pistol grip style stocks and I’m considering one of them.
Scratch the Rem Hunter then. Wrong design for what you’re after.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I've had 2 AG Privateers and have had 6 McMillan Hunters Edge... All on Tikka rifles.

Overall build quality, fit/finish etc. the McMillan's were all perfect from the factory. Both AG stocks has blemishes, rough edges, needing some minor sanding, etc.

The McMillan manufacturing at the time (2021) was in a different league completely than AG.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve got 3 AG’s and fit and finish on all of them is great. In fact, much better than the one Rem Hunter McM I have.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
If a long range hunter is what you want, I like the EH1. It has all the right ergonomics for proper technique. If you prefer a hybrid design more similar to a traditional stock, and are willing to accept the tradeoffs, EH2.

Is there something you don't like about the Proof stock?? What are you hoping to gain changing from the Proof?? If you hope to get a stock that weighs about the same your only option is probably a Manners Ultra Classic Plus which works with a Sendero Lite.

OP
Joshuajosh
Is there something you don't like about the Proof stock?? What are you hoping to gain changing from the Proof?? If you hope to get a stock that weighs about the same your only option is probably a Manners Ultra Classic Plus which works with a Sendero Lite.
The grip section feels too narrow to me, I would like something more substantial, I’m okay if that means I need to increase my setups weight, I’m looking at the McMillan hunter and the ag cat

k80Titus

FNG
Is not the proof stock an AG composite in the first place?

I have a game Warden on a 70 and it is perfect.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have a couple AG composite alpine hunters. The fit and finish has been perfect. They’ve been fantastic to deal with as well. Their customer service is top notch.