Aging a black bear

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
I’ve never shot a bear.

I had one in my crosshairs today for the first time. It was maybe 30 yards, and would have been an incredibly easy shot. It had no idea i was there and I watched it for maybe 10 minutes.

CA law says no cubs, cubs being less than one year old or less than 50 pounds. It seems like a yearling bear would be well over 50lbs.

This bear I passed on was relatively average for what I’ve seen around here, small, but definitely greater than 50lbs. If I had to guess it was between 100-150 pounds. I’m 90 percent sure it was legal but I hesitated because I didn’t want to shoot a bear that was too young.

Does anyone have tips on aging a bear?

Field judging bears can be pretty difficult. If you Google “field judging black bears,” you can find a few tips. Head size/shape, pot belly, size in relation to something else are all indicators. I’m no expert, I shot a bear that was a good sized sow, but I thought was considerably bigger.

If it’s by itself and over 50lbs. you should shoot it. A cub will be with its mother, not by itself.

Bears are usually smaller than people think. Most often the small ones are 1.5 years old just kicked out before mating season in June. The bigger breeding boars don’t tolerate cubs. So if a bear is on its own, it’s no longer considered a cub.

A black bear cub is like teddy bear sized, can’t mistake it.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s by itself and over 50lbs. you should shoot it. A cub will be with its mother, not by itself.

Bears are usually smaller than people think. Most often the small ones are 1.5 years old just kicked out before mating season in June. The bigger breeding boars don’t tolerate cubs. So if a bear is on its own, it’s no longer considered a cub.

A black bear cub is like teddy bear sized, can’t mistake it.
yeah I’ve seen cubs. Mom takes off and cubs lookin all goofy follow.

Kinda kicking myself for not shooting that bear now.

Here are a couple pictures of small bears. First one in the daylight I would say was 75 lbs or so and the second was about 140 live weight. Both pictures are about 20 yards or less. Just a size reference for you. IMG_0114.jpegIMG_0033.jpeg

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Just missed a shot at another one.
I had my scope on him but he went and crossed a meadow. I could only see the top of his head and back.

A shot rang out in the distance and he ran back to where he had been. I got my scope on him again. He was facing away from me so I was waiting for him to turn. Then he spooked.

frustrating but exciting. I’ve never shot a big game animal and It’s great to be coming close.

lots of does today too but no bucks.

Just missed a shot at another one.
I had my scope on him but he went and crossed a meadow. I could only see the top of his head and back.

A shot rang out in the distance and he ran back to where he had been. I got my scope on him again. He was facing away from me so I was waiting for him to turn. Then he spooked.

frustrating but exciting. I’ve never shot a big game animal and It’s great to be coming close.

lots of does today too but no bucks.
Keep at it! You’re finding animals, which is the hardest part. You’ll seal the deal if you keep working.

Look at the bear's attitude. Look at the bear's teeth. Look at the bear's scat. The badder, nastier, and thicker the better.

Kudos for actually finding bears (take notes of everything including dates/times/weather/etc -- will pay huge dividends in the future). You're doing better than many WKRs. But if you're only seeing small bears, then keep looking. Young bears typically do not hang out in the same areas as mature boars.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Keep at it! You’re finding animals, which is the hardest part. You’ll seal the deal if you keep working.
Thanks for the encouragement. I’m 30 with two toddlers so I feel like if I don’t figure it out soon I won’t be able to pass it along.

I’m also a teacher and fall is the busiest time of year. I’m getting out as much as I can but I wish I could take a couple longer trips.
Look at the bear's attitude. Look at the bear's teeth. Look at the bear's scat. The badder, nastier, and thicker the better.

Kudos for actually finding bears (take notes of everything including dates/times/weather/etc -- will pay huge dividends in the future). You're doing better than many WKRs. But if you're only seeing small bears, then keep looking. Young bears typically do not hang out in the same areas as mature boars.
Thanks for the pointers. What’s WKR?

Tons of acorns. The bears I’ve seen have been devouring them. I think that’s what brought them here but I’ve seen bears in this area quite a bit.

A 50 lb cub is a first year cub. They are exceptionally small. I think it is odd that y'all have a 50 lb rule because cubs are still cubs and are dependent on the sow through the second year of life. Most 2 year old cubs will be in the 75# - 100# range, and they are still very much cubs.

Any bear the size of a black lab or larger will be a legal bear. Once you bust one or two, judging them will become easier in time.

They are fine eating. I wish you success and good vittles.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Just blew an opportunity at a much larger one.
It’s pouring rain, I’ve been sick like two weeks and haven’t gotten out much, so happy to be out on the last day of deer season.

I bumped a couple of deer close to a meadow, quickly and quietly work my way to the meadow and see a big bear feeding at the edge. Got prone, rested my rifle on my pack and put my scope on him. Estimate about 150 yards. Noticed a couple more deer feeding maybe 30 yards from the bear. I couldn’t see their heads and rather than patiently waiting for them to move I try to shift over 5 yards oh so for a better angle.

it didn’t work out and I went back to where my pack was and for some reason try to range him. I have no idea why, wouldn’t have been more than 150 tops and I’m using 7 rem mag. Anyway, it’s pouring rain and my rangefinder wouldn’tget a reading. By the time I put it away and get back in the scope the deer spook and bear takes off into the brush

All sorts of impatient and dumb on my part but at least I’m seeing animals and learning. I’m sure a combo of the deer and my movement spooked him. Bummer!

struck out for deer season, but bear runs through most of the rest of the year. Hoping they will remain active a while with all the acorns around.