NC Mountain Black Bear - Question

PB123

FNG
Guys,

I am a relatively new hunter. Took the sport on as an adult. I have hunted deer several times and I have been interested in doing a North Carolina (I live in Charlotte, NC) black bear hunt.
I am curious to understand if you guys think hiking into the Pisgah or Natahala National Forest is a good way to go about looking for and harvesting a black bear? My preferece is archery, but I am not against using a rifle to harvest my first bear. I was thinking about taking the Mountain to Sea trail as I know people have had Black Bear encounters on the trail.
I am just wondering if you guys think this is a best way to introduce myself to Black Bear hunting or, if you have guidance suggesting other ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

Rareid2

FNG
Guys,

I am a relatively new hunter. Took the sport on as an adult. I have hunted deer several times and I have been interested in doing a North Carolina (I live in Charlotte, NC) black bear hunt.
I am curious to understand if you guys think hiking into the Pisgah or Natahala National Forest is a good way to go about looking for and harvesting a black bear? My preferece is archery, but I am not against using a rifle to harvest my first bear. I was thinking about taking the Mountain to Sea trail as I know people have had Black Bear encounters on the trail.
I am just wondering if you guys think this is a best way to introduce myself to Black Bear hunting or, if you have guidance suggesting other ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Phil
I’m not too far away from you (Hickory). If you decide to go, I’d be willing to tag along and help pack it out if you got one

kickemall

WKR
I know nothing about bear hunting in North Carolina but bears are the same everywhere - find the feed, find the bears. Feed changes throughout the year and bears will move with it. Just because people saw them on a trail in the summer doesn't mean they're going to be in the area in the fall. The only way to find out is to head out with your bow and look for sign, you may run right into them.

willtim

WKR
I hunt the mountains of SC, not far from you. This time of year look for the white oaks and black gum. Look for game trails along the tops of ridges.

TreeDux

FNG
That’s as good a way to start as any. I would give the nod to the rifle. It’s a low odds hunt anyway so put as many odds in your favor as you can. Just my opinion. As previously mentioned look for food. And look for sign. I think the wild card in the pisgah is going to be bear dogs. They tend to stir things up and daytime patterns are likely to change. Now, if you’re hunting, and a pack runs a bear by you, if the shot is safe, he’s fair game. Just be aware that in that situation it is your responsibility to make sure the bear is dead so he doesn’t seriously injure a pack of dogs. This may require stepping up briskly and placing up final shot in the head. This is a simple reality that many people are clueless about. At any rate, there are bears there in plenty of country to hunt, so go for it.

OP
P

PB123

FNG
I’m not too far away from you (Hickory). If you decide to go, I’d be willing to tag along and help pack it out if you got one
Sorry about the delay. I was out of town. That sounds like a plan. As things come together I'll ping you.
Nice to meet you.

OP
P

PB123

FNG
I know nothing about bear hunting in North Carolina but bears are the same everywhere - find the feed, find the bears. Feed changes throughout the year and bears will move with it. Just because people saw them on a trail in the summer doesn't mean they're going to be in the area in the fall. The only way to find out is to head out with your bow and look for sign, you may run right into them.
Thanks for your input, and I agree, nothing beats getting out into nature to see what god presents to you.

OP
P

PB123

FNG
I hunt the mountains of SC, not far from you. This time of year look for the white oaks and black gum. Look for game trails along the tops of ridges.
Thanks for your feedback. I was just in SC deer hunting the other day.

OP
P

PB123

FNG
That’s as good a way to start as any. I would give the nod to the rifle. It’s a low odds hunt anyway so put as many odds in your favor as you can. Just my opinion. As previously mentioned look for food. And look for sign. I think the wild card in the pisgah is going to be bear dogs. They tend to stir things up and daytime patterns are likely to change. Now, if you’re hunting, and a pack runs a bear by you, if the shot is safe, he’s fair game. Just be aware that in that situation it is your responsibility to make sure the bear is dead so he doesn’t seriously injure a pack of dogs. This may require stepping up briskly and placing up final shot in the head. This is a simple reality that many people are clueless about. At any rate, there are bears there in plenty of country to hunt, so go for it.
Thank you for your input. Do you think the Nantahala would have less bear dog pressure?

bhw2d

FNG
Guys,

Thanks for your help.

Phil

I bear hunt Pisgah with hounds and would be glad to take you along if you wanted to try it. I only have two hounds and they aren't the greatest in the world but your chances will be higher than going by yourself. I normally hunt McDowell or Burke.

I bear hunt Pisgah with hounds and would be glad to take you along if you wanted to try it. I only have two hounds and they aren't the greatest in the world but your chances will be higher than going by yourself. I normally hunt McDowell or Burke.
I've been trying for the past 3 years to get one on my own. Actually about to try my luck up in ashe county the next two days. Once your group fills their tags I'd take you up on that offer. More than happy to just tag a long and lend a hand as well.

bhw2d

FNG
I've been trying for the past 3 years to get one on my own. Actually about to try my luck up in ashe county the next two days. Once your group fills their tags I'd take you up on that offer. More than happy to just tag a long and lend a hand as well.
I'm going Tuesday if you want to go. If you come my group will double in size. Since we can't PM yet just email me at boppe.hunting.gmail.com

OP
P

PB123

FNG
What a super awesome invitation. I would be game for tagging along with you. Thank you very much.

semasko

FNG
Just curious - how different is it hunting with just two dogs? I always loved the idea of going out with just one dog staying silent just to track the bear. It seems thats how some of the pioneers used to hunt them.

TreeDux

FNG
I would expect the single biggest challenge in hunting with 2 dogs would be the ability to put enough pressure on a bear to get him to tree or bay. And if he did bay on the ground he wouldn’t be quite as distracted by the commotion when the hunters get there and might be more prone to breaking before they can get a shot. That’s just my thoughts and I certainly wouldn’t be offended if the man with the dogs corrected me. Either way he’s extended a generous invitation and I hope the OP has a chance to take him up on it. I certainly would try to as it seems like a fun hunt, and a little different approach than what I am used to.

bhw2d

FNG
Just curious - how different is it hunting with just two dogs? I always loved the idea of going out with just one dog staying silent just to track the bear. It seems thats how some of the pioneers used to hunt them.
The big difference is those two dogs have to be real bear dogs. In a pack of hounds you get the benefit of the weakness of the individual being overcome by the strength of the whole. With just two they have to do it all. I also hunt alone which makes it much more challenging to keep up with the hounds than compared to hunting with a group. If you want to hunt with just one dog like you’re talking about, I’d look into a Karelian or a West Siberian Laika. You can do it with a hound but the spitz dogs are probably going to be best for that style of hunting.

bhw2d

FNG
I would expect the single biggest challenge in hunting with 2 dogs would be the ability to put enough pressure on a bear to get him to tree or bay. And if he did bay on the ground he wouldn’t be quite as distracted by the commotion when the hunters get there and might be more prone to breaking before they can get a shot. That’s just my thoughts and I certainly wouldn’t be offended if the man with the dogs corrected me. Either way he’s extended a generous invitation and I hope the OP has a chance to take him up on it. I certainly would try to as it seems like a fun hunt, and a little different approach than what I am used to.
You are correct but with the right two dogs you can put enough pressure on them. If they bark enough you can still sneak in on a bayed bear. I’ve killed three on the ground caught with just two and I’ve snuck up on a single dog fighting a sow where she had a cub up a tree. Wind direction is the biggest reason they move. If the dog is doing its job the bear won’t be looking for you.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider

Got any intel on the Daniel Boone Bear Sanctuary unit?
I was drawn for the permit, been in North Dakota for 2 weeks and haven't had time to scout a single second ... spent some time in the unit a few years ago.

bhw2d

FNG
I've hunted it a few times. I'm not sure what to tell you if you are hunting without hounds but it's fairly easy to find a bear track the dogs can take in there this time of year. I don't think it is that much better than hunting elsewhere in Pisgah and you may be better off spending your time hunting a place you can hunt more often.