Air rifle trainer?

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
With all the insanity right now I'm considering getting an rifle to use for positional practice.
Does anyone else use them? I really know nothing about air rifles so Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

My experience is that spring cockers are trash. Hell on optics and not very accurate.
PCPs are fantastic. Extremely accurate, very capable of 100 yards. Just a bit pricy up front.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have been looking into a PCP rifle to train with which would make it easier, but I have an old daisy 853 that I picked up from the CMP that is getting a lot of use lately. Its a slow rifle but super accurate and works great for basement training.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
Let's see. Going to have to disagree with Pathfinder on the inaccurate claim. I have a Beeman R9 in .20 that I've had since the mid 1990s that's far more accurate than I am. Smooth as silk to shoot. Picked up a Sig ASP in .22 when they came out, pretty much as accurate as the Beeman with far more power. We're talking less than half inch groups at 25 yards. Buddy has been borrowing it for a month and just offered me $800 for it because he likes it so much. Completely true about them being hell on scopes though. You need a scope designed for the recoil of a spring/gas piston air rifle. The $200 Gamo rifle you buy at your local box store is indeed crap. A good spring piston or gas ram rifle will run you $400+ and another $150 for a decent scope.

I picked up a Sig Virtus PCP two weeks ago. PCP is fun because you can have it be semi-auto since it's running off a tank of air. Since there's no back and forth recoil from a piston slamming air down a small vent you can run any scope you want assuming it can dial parallax down to 7-10 yards. Negatives are you need to buy a compressor to fill your tanks or have a local place that you can fill them at. I get about 60 full power shots off a tank at 3000 psi. Low-end compressor runs $400. Also the Sig Virtus is a low-end entry level PCP. Accuracy is mediocre. But I can load 30 pellets into the mag and kill a bunch of cans. A nice PCP rifle runs you $400+ again...on top of the compressor.

CO2 guns are fun also, not as powerful as a spring piston or PCP. Don't recall too many CO2 rifles though. And if you live in winter like I do, the CO2 gun gets to take a winter break since they don't operate well at lower temps. But I have a MAC1 LD in .22 that is ridiculously accurate with a red dot on top. Powerful enough to drop squirrels at 20 yards.

One other thing about spring pistons, there's a learning curve on how to hold them to shoot them accurately. That said, I find shooting them offhand to be great practice. It helps that both the Beeman and Sig ASP have great triggers. The Beeman is pretty quiet, I can shoot 10 yards in my attic without pissing off the wife. And not only are good pellets relatively inexpensive, they're in stock!

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not looking for a pcp. I don't wanna have to buy a compressor too. I'm thinking 2-3 range. def no more than 350.
I got a swfa i can put on it. Would just need rings.
No hunting, pure trainer

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I have an older Sheridan Silver streak in .20 cal pellet that still shoots great. I've shot it since I was about 11. Probably 1000 feet per second I'm guessing depending on number of pumps. I managed to mount a scope on it, and I'll shoot cans (sometimes squirrels) in the backyard. I think it's good for practicing off-hand shooting while looking through a reticle and trigger control. The scope isn't the best, so when I actually look through my Vortex or Zeiss it looks huge and bright.

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
I use them for just the practice of getting in trigger work and breathing. I use them for my shot sequence only. Yeah they can be a little off, but just to get trigger time and motions down, they are the way to go. I have 2, a .177 cal and a .22 cal, both with different types of triggers so it makes me concentrate on the shot a little more and the follow through. But for shot sequence great for practice.

BBob

WKR
I have an old RWS Diana Model 100 match rifle. It's an SSP (Single Stroke Pneumatic). Old tech and I've thought of replacing it but it still does the job. I wouldn't recomend one like this only because there are much more modern choices but I would recomend an air rifle in general for practice.

Attachments

• RWS Diana Model 100 SSP Air Rifle.jpg
    RWS Diana Model 100 SSP Air Rifle.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 17

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I have a BSA Lightning XL (.177 caliber) that's been very accurate and deadly for the rabbits eating my grass. I plan on getting a PCP in a larger caliber this Spring. Cost of entry for a PCP is high, but they are neat rifles. Some guys run Nightforce and other high end scopes on the high end PCP rifles. Some of the big bores are plenty powerful enough for small and medium game. So, it really depends on your budget and interest. The issue I have with air rifles is range. Practicing with a high power at 500 yds is not the same as practicing with an air rifle at 25 or 50 yds. Fun yes...

B23

WKR
Some of these new Airguns are crazy accurate. I talked to a guy a couple months ago that had a new Impact MKII. He knows his guns so I knew he wasn't BS'ing me and he said it was almost laughable how accurate the thing was. He got his in 25 caliber but I think you can swap barrels on them. Like most things good they are a little expensive but it sounds like they're a lot of fun.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Some of these new Airguns are crazy accurate. I talked to a guy a couple months ago that had a new Impact MKII. He knows his guns so I knew he wasn't BS'ing me and he said it was almost laughable how accurate the thing was. He got his in 25 caliber but I think you can swap barrels on them. Like most things good they are a little expensive but it sounds like they're a lot of fun.

That's the one I am planning on getting as well (FX Impact MkII) in .25 cal. You know much about them? I'm undecided on barrel length for that caliber, could use some input if you have any. 600mm or 700mm?

B23

WKR
That's the one I am planning on getting as well (FX Impact MkII) in .25 cal. You know much about them? I'm undecided on barrel length for that caliber, could use some input if you have any. 600mm or 700mm?
From talking to him he got his from Utah Airguns and it sounds like it came pretty well dialed in. He didn't get the longer barrel because he wanted to keep it a little more compact but from reading it sounds like the longer 700mm is maybe the better choice as long as the extra length isn't a problem. He went with a 25 caliber based on their recommendations and said the thing was crazy accurate.

I seriously considered one, still do at times, but kinda got side tracked on other things. Though the initial cost is a little expensive with the way things are now it would be a great way to get lots of trigger time without burning up hard to come by powder, primers, and bullets.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback! Utah Airguns is one of the places I've considering picking one up from. I should call them and ask about the barrel length. With this style platform, a lot of the barrel is along the frame of the gun, so it seems like the front shouldn't be so long, but...

.25 Cal is definitely more expensive to shoot than .22, but the energy is a good bit higher as well. Pretty sure I want .25 even though it really wouldn't matter too much either way.

LostArra

WKR
RWS Diana 34 will do everything Pathfinder thinks it can't do.

I love mine and my search for air rifles stopped the day I got it.
Amen brother!

Springer guy here too. First, find the pellet, both brand and weight, your rifle likes. Second, practice artillery hold. They are accurate.
Shooting a springer off my pack definitely carries over to a cf rifle at a fraction of the cost.

My recommendations: Weihrauch HW 95 or 30 or Diana RWS 34

Amen brother!

Springer guy here too. First, find the pellet, both brand and weight, your rifle likes. Second, practice artillery hold. They are accurate.
Shooting a springer off my pack definitely carries over to a cf rifle at a fraction of the cost.

My recommendations: Weihrauch HW 95 or 30 or Diana RWS 34
Spot on about finding the pellet your rifle likes. I went through about 8 different tins and found the ones my rifle likes. Turns out, they were some of the cheapest too. win-win. 1/4-1/2" groups at 25 yards is not uncommon, and I use a cheap Simmons 4x32 scope on mine with no issues at all.

Im sure ive recommended this on here before, but Feinwerkbau.
Theres a gent that imports them from germany, gives them the once over and sells them here.
Springer with an amazing match trigger that shoots like a demon. Not super fast (like all match guns), but it stacks them one on top of the other.
Good luck with your choice.

Wrench

WKR
My rws 48 is more accurate than you will believe. I routinely stack up starlings at 50 yards and it's boring.

2g's ain't happening for me, but I am looking at a 25 condor or texan.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I was really leaning towards the daisy avsnyi 753s. Its a single strokw pneumatic
A coworker has 2 dianas. But seems more like pest gun. More powerful and break barrel.
I think I'll prob end up with 753s