Air taxi requires Splitting horns/moose skull, common?

mooster

WKR
Just got my air taxi contracts for a Sept Alaskan moose hunt, and shocked to find a document prohibiting antlers be left attached to skull. My dream is a European mount, so not sure about how this would work. Are other transporters requiring this? Have you done this and still had a euro mount? How would you do it? What’s it look like afterwards? I can’t find any process or pics on google so perhaps this is rare.

Attachments

• sorry no fly.jpg
    sorry no fly.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I've heard of people splitting Caribou skull caps but not moose. I would confirm the document with the transporter, if true I would look into a different transporter.

gunnar_17

FNG
Pretty common on Guided fly in moose to require the skull split or pay for a second flight.
A decent taxidermist can pin your antlers and make them removable. The only problem I ever see with this is if you wanted them officially scored they would be ineligible.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
For a euro mount, you can cut each horn off at the pedicle and reattach with pegs and epoxy when it gets home. Not hard to do. A little white paint and only you will know it was done. Just make sure you mark or groove the back of each horn to index it back to the skull.

As noted by gunnar, the only reason not to is to score it.

Jeremy

Does the company prohibit being attached to the skull like your text states or require the antlers to be split like the title says? Big difference. Or both? Antler restriction area you need to keep them attached to at skull plate.

As stated above, it depends on the plane and contract. If flying a large plane, you can probably negotiate a separate antler flight if it’s that important. A large bull attached to the skull is just too heavy for the strut and likely won’t fit inside. I had to repair a buddies interior after stuffing a 65 inch euro bull in his 170. As you can see, it was very inefficient for space and weight and we needed an extra flight out to do it. Would’ve saved a lot of headaches if I just cut the skull plate off the skull, but it sure looks nice!

58848569-12D0-464A-8938-E1EF3C38FFC7.jpeg

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
20200211_112605.jpg
I was pretty sure I've read this, not sure how this pertains to other states or countries but I would assume they have similar regs. I'm also assuming there aren't any restrictions where you're hunting.

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Here's the air taxi contract page re: racks must be cut

sorry no fly.jpg

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
apparently were flying a Cessna 185, 700 llb. weight limit for hunters and gear

Please let us know which transporter this is. I am hearing it more and more with others up here and I am not sure why the sudden change as it's usually been acceptable for external loads so long as there is no passenger, at least that is how I understood it. So, to save an extra flight, they may be doing this instead.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
definitely take plenty of pictures and pull as many measurements as you can for the taxidermist

NUGGET

WKR
Yes please share the transporter. Last time I flew out of FBX for moose they wanted us split the skull. When the time came the pilot didn't care and flew the big bull out intact.

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Its out of FAI. I don't want to disclose the transporter as he's done nothing wrong, just has requirements I can agree with or not. I just thought it either odd, or perhaps, a sign of things to come as std procedure for moose, not just caribou.

Beendare

WKR
Not a deal breaker for me. I prefer this...as its easier all around just splitting them.

I've had them fly out moose and caribou racks intact....but the bigger problem is getting them home on a commercial airline. If you want to keep it intact then be prepared for one heck of a packing and shipping bill.

_________

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Not a deal breaker for me. I prefer this...as its easier all around just splitting them.

I've had them fly out moose and caribou racks intact....but the bigger problem is getting them home on a commercial airline. If you want to keep it intact then be prepared for one heck of a packing and shipping bill.

_________
I like the Euro mount so hate to split a skull or have to pay someone to peg a skull as I’d screw that up. Alaska Air will carry the skull intact if you establish a commercial account for a minimal fee.

Please let us know which transporter this is. I am hearing it more and more with others up here and I am not sure why the sudden change as it's usually been acceptable for external loads so long as there is no passenger, at least that is how I understood it. So, to save an extra flight, they may be doing this instead.
Yeah Nick, that’s been my understanding as well with commercial operations up here. They require antlers to be flown inside the cockpit of the aircraft when there are passengers on that flight. If the antlers need to be strapped to the struts, no passengers can be in the cockpit. I believe that it is mandated through the FAA requirements for commercial operations. Obviously if you’re flying with a buddy, that’s not doing it for a business, all bets are off, and you can do what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Alaska: splitting the antlers in the field would be illegal in areas with antler restrictions. It's perfectly legal in unrestricted GMUs and zones, with documentation to prove the kill location. So my take on this is the pilot is (in your case) putting you in 20B or another unrestricted area if one exists. If not, avoid him.

"If it fits in the plane it fly's flies."