Airline Travel with Antlers

jclift

FNG
I've found a lot of old information about bringing antlers with you on the plane as a checked bag. Is this still possible?

I'm researching a Red Stag hunt in New Zealand. My thought was I could cut the antlers off of the skull, cap the tips and wrap the skull then put them in a large duffel bag to check with the airline.

Does anyone have any recent experience, tips or tricks with a NZ Red Stag hunt and meat/trophy transport back to the US (Colorado specifically).

NV HUNTER

WKR
I flew back from Mexico with my coues and they would not let me do carry on . I was told that it could be used as a weapon. That was after it was wrapped in cardboard and plastic wrap.

I've found a lot of old information about bringing antlers with you on the plane as a checked bag. Is this still possible?

I'm researching a Red Stag hunt in New Zealand. My thought was I could cut the antlers off of the skull, cap the tips and wrap the skull then put them in a large duffel bag to check with the airline.

Does anyone have any recent experience, tips or tricks with a NZ Red Stag hunt and meat/trophy transport back to the US (Colorado specifically).
I just returned from NZ and wanted to do exactly what you said. When I asked the outfitter he told me that they weren’t allowed to do this because it hadn’t been cleared by customs and had to have the export paperwork filed. I’m not sure if this is true or not because as I researched it, it appeared I could as checked luggage. I would maybe reach out to New Zealand customs and exports and see what they have to say. My guess is my outfitter had no clue since nobody had ever asked about it.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
The last time I hunted New Zealand I took my antlers and cape with me as checked luggage. Zero issues. It was easy if you get the correct form from the gov before your departure, which is nothing more than a notarized letter validating the origination and the legality of harvest. Your outfitter or agent should be able to help you with this info. Many outfitters claim this can't be done or they discourage the idea because they are getting kickbacks from the taxidermy and export companies.