AK gear gems?

Cheechako

FNG
A suggestion on the flagging tape. Try pink or orange duck tape folded over on itself instead. It’s more reflective, durable, doesn’t degrade with Uv, and is useful for other tasks.

mcseal2

WKR
My hunts have all been drop camps so far, no rafting or backpacking trips in AK.

It depends on the hunt, but Wiggys waders were great to have on Kodiak and hunting caribou out of Kotz when I was not taking chest waders.

A Camptime Roll A Chair is one of the last things I'll drop due to weight. It is nice at camp and worth packing to glass from in some situations away from camp. I got a green one and painted it up so the silver legs didn't glare. A elevated, dry place to sit is a great luxury.

I like a lanyard hole in my knife handle. I never use it or have a lanyard on the knife except the time my buddy killed a moose half in the water. I made a quick paracord one for that job and was glad to have it.

I've taken a saw and axe each trip to AK and they always got used. I took a Wyoming saw on my moose hunt and it worked well. I took a lighter Bahco Laplander caribou hunting and it worked fine on wood and ribs. For Kodiak we weren't worried about cutting bone so I took a Silky Big Boy saw. It helped making a protected camp site in the brush. For moose and Kodiak when we had more weight allowance I took my Gransfers Bruks small forest axe, for caribou I took a GB outdoor axe that's lighter. The axe drives tent stakes, bear fence posts, and cuts some brush when needed.

I use the axe and/or saw to build a standing height tripod from brush and a piece of paracord while setting camp. It's been handy every trip. It's there to shoot from if a moose or caribou shows up near camp suddenly. It's mobile to hang clothes from where sun and wind can help dry them on the rare day the sun is out. It's held our gravity water filter while it filters water. Just something that always gets used and is easy to make.

A Seek Outside DST tarp or two has made every trip. We usually hunt in pairs and each pair takes one. It's great to get under while glassing in the rain, plus its a good emergency shelter. For moose and caribou I also had a Seek Colorado tarp we put up over our cooking area. For Kodiak in November we had more weight allowance and took a Aquaquest Defender 15'x15' tarp to build a bigger shelter. I now have a lighter Onetigris 10x13 tarp to put over our meat rack that replaced my older smaller one.

I really liked the katoula microspikes on Kodiak. I'll be taking those when I go again next year, they made a huge difference on steep muddy slopes and rotten brush.

Good puffy jacket and pants I'm not sure have been mentioned yet. I've used the Kifaru LPP and Kuiu Superdown and had good luck with both. The Superdown packs much smaller, but I'm more careful with it too both for durability and to keep it dry. The LPP is a lot tougher.

Good camp shoes is the last one I'll mention. I bought a pair of Tingley ultralight boots a size to big and cut them to ankle height. I also added a thick pair of cheap Dr Shoals insoles. Everyone who leaves the tent at night uses them, and I have worn them a lot around camp working or fishing. It's nice to get out of the wet boots and socks at camp, give them a chance to dry, and slip on something waterproof.

TXCO

WKR
These are what I grab for butchering. They’re long enough that if it’s raining, you can throw quarters on one half and fold over to keep rain off if needed. Bring one for each moose. Something like $4 and the size of a soda bottle. Just trash when I’m done instead of destroying a good tarp.

View attachment 599256

We split a contractor bag on two seams to use for a ground tarp for quarters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1ff8aea7a9412c7da6f6943d0d480b4b.jpg

bates

WKR
Just got in from our first diy float trip

Stand outs …

Game bags with handles at the bottom. 60 inch trophy club I think was brand

Way easier to load and unload meat each day

Other knowns

Teepee and stove