AK Sheep Gear

mshortdog

FNG
I am in the process of planning a guided archery dall sheep hunt in Alaska. I just ran across this thread; a lot of good info btw. Do you guys bring a backup firearm with you for bears? I trying to keep my back at a reasonably weight. Thanks

If you're going guided, I wouldn't mess with bringing your own firearm, they'll have one (or should).

NMO

FNG
Might be worth while to consider what weight you could lose on your body. Without knowing your age and shape I'm just spitballing here but I'd imagine most people could lose 10lbs and still be a healthy weight, many people even more. Hit the stair master, local mountain, treadmill whatever you have. Get used to carrying a weighted pack for extended periods of time (if you aren't already). If you can hike your balls off, pack your share of weight and bring a spotter to offer input and spot Rams both you and your guide will have a better experience.
Congrats on booking the hunt and enjoy!

OP
B

bates

WKR
I'll be 35 on the hunt. My plan is to show up around 185lbs. For me I will be super lean and the lightest I've been in 20yrs.

I typically float around 195-205 during the year. Being lighter during hunting season. My goal this year is to not fall off after the season and not put on weight over the holidays.

Right now doing Crossfit 2 to 3 times per week and cardio around 2x running now. I typically start putting on my pack mid summer. 35 then 50lbs. But for this hunt I'll carry 85lbs around in preparation for the hunt.

I'm going to run up to Georgia to get some time on the closest mountains that I have.

Last edited:

tuffcity

WKR
That's a pretty serious final pack weight. There is probably some trimming you could do there.

RC

shphtr

FNG
I have done 15 to 17 backpack hunts as a resident to the ANWR for sheep. Recommend 8 to 10 power binocs, take a spotting scope, be comfortable dealing with bears with the firearm/load you take, good water proof boots and a good tent. Good luck.

OP
B

bates

WKR
I updated the original post with some of the gear I have recently acquired.

Buying as much as I can now so I can run it through the paces in 2016, I plan to be chasing Mule Deer at 10,000 ft in Wyoming in Sept then hopefully going back in November to chase elk, should be a good test of clothing, packs, boots etc.

I know the optics were highly talked about and I appreciate everyone's input, for now I still plan to take the el 12's and 80mm spotter. This might change but want again to run these for 2016 then make a decision next year.

I made the decision to call Lathrop and go through their custom boot system, I have a pair of the Bighorn GTX's and also some Tibet's with their footbeds, very happy with the decision

I have also ordered a WM Badger Sleeping bag, just felt the reviews are always strong an a WM bag and don't want to look bag on not buying the best, I do have a Wiggy's Synthetic bag, that I could take if the forecast warrants always good to have options.

If I was you, I'd call Jonah and ask him what he recommends. I bet he would steer you in the right direction, he's taken a hunter or two. I certainly wouldn't over do it on gear and I'd want final pack weight to be pretty light.

PA 5-0

WKR
Just some input on the above posts from a lower 48er that has two AK sheep hunts on file:

--High end 10x42s are more than enough but are a necessity as you are in and out of them ALL DAY AND NIGHT. 10x42s are much lighter than 12x50s and on day 7, you'll be feeling every ounce hanging on you. You won't miss any sheep as they are easily spotted from a mile away with the naked eye. Rams are located and then the spotter comes out as you move in. On the bino end, make sure you have a neck wrap for your sunglasses, as you take them on and off every other minute to glass.

--On rifle care, scope caps and electrical tape are all you need. Any quality stainless/synthetic weapon should take any weather. On the guide's recommendation, I always carried a one inch thick 12"x12" foam pad to sit on while glassing, resting, eating. It saves ur ass from hard rocks and wetness. A small comfort when the AK mntns are whooping ur ass. When moving, I wrapped the foam pad around my scope with a velcro strap to protect it from bumps and falls(which occurred often!!).

Feel free to hit me for any info. Best of luck to all, Dan

BRWNBR

WKR
I guide sheep hunters, I figure what I need or want on my sheep hunts and just get in good enough shape to carry that AND a sheep. Done. I don't weigh stuff or count ounces. I have good gear but I don't beat myself up over a pound or two here and there. Sometimes I take Bluetooth speakers...I take a gallon ziploc bag full of energy drink powder mixthat my clients call magic juice. I have a metal water bottle. I take a pillow. Even a solar charger for my inreach. I eat smoked salmon and cream cheese on bagels for every single lunch. I take hard candy. Sometimes if I find a cool caribou shed I'll carry it around till the end with me...
Being in the best physical shape is the only way to truly take advantage of top notch gear.

bates, I'm booked with Jonah for that same hunt in 2017 also. Really looking forward to my first trip to the Brooks! Lots of great gear advice in this thread. Thanks guys!

hoonahtic

FNG
Hey bates, good on yah for getting prepped early, keep up the enthusiasm and you'll be ready for a great time!

I only have a couple of sheep/goat hunts under my belt but I thought I would chime in on the clothing you are planning on taking since I only saw a few other replies on that subject.

Every long hunt/overnight training hike/camping trip that I go on I have two lightweight pairs of merino leggings, and wear Chugach pants overtop. My insulation layer (if needed) are fleece pants, made by Northface. I swap leggings at bedtime and dry/rest the hunt/hike ones in the bottom of my sleeping bag overnight then switch back the next morning. Seems that between the big zip vents on the Chugach pants and that combo of layers I have never been wet, cold, or uncomfortably hot (even mid-august deer in Southeast Alaska while sunburning in the alpine).

As for tops I now have a super light tshirt for emergency hot weather (sunburning incident where I went shirtless). Two lightweight merino long sleeves, one tighter one looser for layering. One merino sweater for smartwool (steep and cheap mens fashion was actually really cheap), puffy jacket. Got my paws on a GoLight Bitterroot before they went out of business, and Yukon Jacket. If I did it over again I would go with Chugach Jacket as well, I don't see there being that much benefit to having the Yukon unless you're busting brush and even then the pants would probably take more abuse than a jacket.

I have not found gaiters to be overly useful and cause more condensation issues than anything else. The Chugach pants are sufficiently long on me (6'4 wearing size Large) that water from grass/sticks never gets too far up my boot. Hunting the brooks should reduce the amount of bushwhacking but I guess that might all depend on where you are. I typically spend most of my time in the jungles of southeast Alaska where the under story is tall thick and sopping wet 90% of the time.

Good luck and be sure to post a summery report when you finish up! Always kind of a let down to dig up a good thread with solid advice to a novice hunter and then never hear an update or reply post-hunt.

hoona posted just above that in his experience gaiters to be not worth taking. I would disagree. I have just been on one Dall hunt so I have much less knowledge than others on here. I accidently left my gaiters at home. I actually had two different pairs and had not yet decided which to take and ended up leaving them in the pile of stuff I did not bring. I did not need them for the first half of the hunt but really missed them during the pack out! We followed a drainage and hiked along it and had to cross it many many times. I had to put on my rain pants and use what duct tape that I had to wrap them tightly around my ankles to try and seal out the water. It actually worked pretty well and kept the water out of my boot as long as I went quickly in and out of the water! But the rain gear sucks to hike in long term because it breathes so poorly compared to regular pants. But at least I made the best of the situation and got thru.
You should ask your guide if you need to bring gaiters or not. He will have the best recommendation to listen to.
Have fun!

MattB

WKR
Gaiters are great for short water crossings, and whether they will benefit you or not is dependent on where you hunt. I prefer the Kuiu gaiters, but would probably go OR if I was gun hunting.

Bambistew

WKR
I wouldn't go on a mountain hunt without gaiters. My preference is OR Expidition Crocs. They seem to hold up better than anynothers I've tried. Some people worry about noise, but I havent found noise to be an isse at all. No other gaiter holds up in comparison, and I wear out a pair of OR each year. Dwarf birch is really hard on gear. Some of the other "hunting brand" last about 3 days in the rocks before the stirups are toast. Your milage may vary...

Jdog

WKR
Buy best chit you can afford.
Throw it all in your pack and go hunt.
Whatever you do, don't weigh your pack!
That is all