AK Solo With a Selfbow

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a great bull. Maybe someday when things slow down, I'll find somebody to show me how to make a self bow.

You might not know it but hooligan is the common name for a fish here, a type of smelt.

Hope you didn't have to take too much vitamin I (ibuprofen) after that trip.

Congrats on a great bull. Maybe someday when things slow down, I'll find somebody to show me how to make a self bow.

You might not know it but hooligan is the common name for a fish here, a type of smelt.

Hope you didn't have to take too much vitamin I (ibuprofen) after that trip.

Eulachon :)

LostArra

WKR
Congratulations on an epic hunt.
Bringing a selfbow (and a takedown model!!) into the bush is extreme confidence in your bowyer skills.
What was the bow wood? Osage I assume?

Bringing a selfbow (and a takedown model!!) into the bush is extreme confidence in your bowyer skills.

I'd like to know more about these, too. Plus how long you've been making bows, and how much time/effort/years of bow-making practice goes into being able to enter the field with a bow that you are confident enough in to take a moose.

After experiencing how much work is involved in field processing a moose and getting the meat out of the field this year. I have nothing but respect for someone who does it solo....let alone taking a great trophy with a selfbow. Congratulations, you have every right to feel a great sense of pride and accomplishment.

OP
SliverShooter

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to know more about these, too. Plus how long you've been making bows, and how much time/effort/years of bow-making practice goes into being able to enter the field with a bow that you are confident enough in to take a moose.

Yes the bow wood was Osage. I also build them out of yew and would not hesitate to take a yew bow on a moose hunt.

It is impossible to say how long it takes one to build a Selfbow capable of taking a moose, or any other animal. Some people I teach can do it with their first bow, others don’t have and never develop the necessary skills to build a bow I would hunt with.

Been building selfbows since the late 90’s, would have taken one on my first AK moose hunt in 99, IF my Labrador retriever hadn’t eaten the rawhide backing off of It a few days before leaving ( I used a glass longbow on that hunt.). I have taken an Osage selfbow on my last five AK moose hunts, killing two bulls with them.

Still impressed and happy for you Walt. Between us we know a good number of guys who hunted moose with stickbows this year, and the apparent success rate was very low. Nice to beat the odds when it happens.

OP
SliverShooter

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,

I love the antlers on your bull, that left plam is unique. It’s just kool.

Yes, it was an off year for stickbow hunters chasing AK moose this year. You and I are the only two I know out of 17 stickbow hunters that got their moose. However, five of them turned down legitimate opportunities on a legal moose for various reasons. I know on past hunts you have turned down opportunities (as have I) and went home without a moose.

I did miss not spending the full two weeks alone in the bush, the solitude is a large part of my Alaska hunts. Almost wish my bull would have taken another four or five days before coming in to my calls.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Great job Walt. Looks like he died in about as good a spot as you could ask for, that's got to be a huge relief when you're doing it alone! Hope to see you in Reno.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That kicks ass. I filled my freezer with moose again this year but I used a rifle. Maybe next year I’ll try with a trad bow.

Nice work!

Mythewood

FNG
Just wow. Congratulations.
Piqued my interest in that Packaraft set up and paddle mod. Know where my next few hours on the computer will be spent!

mooster

WKR
Yeah just an incredible adventure that required mad skills and work ethic. Been toting my wheeled bow last two years, this inspires me towards take the stick this year.