Alabama rut

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
I got invited to hunt a lease in central Alabama the first week of February. Will there be any rut activity? I’m from Pennsylvania, never hunted the south. Any advice?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
I’ve been down there a handful of times late Jan/early Feb. Will there be rut activity? Maybe. In my experience (coming from MN) it doesn’t matter; the deer will be moving and you will have a great time. My best week was the first week of February and saw more rut action than ever before and killed a dandy (old) buck. If I could post videos I would as I have plenty of that time, but here is a pic..
IMG_7026.jpeg

Alabama is a special place that I look forward to going year after year. I’m not sure what is considered central AL vs north vs south but I’m happy to share my experiences if you have any questions

I’m in Greenville now at my camp. I been here about a week. We some rut activity starting last week. I expect it get going good this week. Alabama is a funny place. You can be one county away and miss the high point of the rut by a week.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
Here in Baldwin co., (really south), I wasnt seeing much going on last week.
Gonna give it another try tomorrow but I'm 'bout worn down from our long hunting season.
Ready to start fishing.

largerack

FNG
I don't know anything about deer hunting in AL, but that sounds awesome to potentially be in rutting bucks in Feb. With my season having ended a couple weeks ago I am jealous. Good luck!

Long Cut

WKR
All over the Deep South (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana) the Rut can seriously vary depending on where you’re at.

Most of our Ruts begin in November and can run into January or February.

My lease in one County, the Rut is Nov 8-16th roughly. 16 Miles to the West on my other Lease, they’re rutting December 20-January 1.

It will be thick. Our humid “cold” will make 40 degrees feel like 25 or 30. Hunt the thermals, not the wind UNLESS there’s a stiff front pushing down.

ChrisAU

WKR
Just getting going in SE AL in Henry County. We are on the west side. East side of the county is around Christmas. Next county over in GA is Thanksgiving week or week after. Pretty cool place to live to hunt ruts a lot.

Glad someone asked a question about Alabama. Our daughter and son in law live in Adamsville, West of Birmingham. Is there any public land for me (Tennessean) that can I come down and hunt within a half hour or so of where she lives, and are the requirements hard for an out of state person to meet them? Our season up here ends the first weekend of January. Thanks and I hope this isnt a thread jack. If so I apologize to the OP.

Long Cut

WKR
Glad someone asked a question about Alabama. Our daughter and son in law live in Adamsville, West of Birmingham. Is there any public land for me (Tennessean) that can I come down and hunt within a half hour or so of where she lives, and are the requirements hard for an out of state person to meet them? Our season up here ends the first weekend of January. Thanks and I hope this isnt a thread jack. If so I apologize to the OP.

Ton of guys just like you, driving South to extend their season and opportunities.

I’d find the Alabama DNR website and locate the WMA’s on their interactive map and see the regulations for the area(s) you plan to hunt.
It’s gotten very competitive hunting Public Land and this is a large Forum. I’d take any information you gain with a grain of salt. I’d also try to keep the names of the places you anticipate on hunting off of any public forums or Facebook.

Ton of guys just like you, driving South to extend their season and opportunities.

I’d find the Alabama DNR website and locate the WMA’s on their interactive map and see the regulations for the area(s) you plan to hunt.
It’s gotten very competitive hunting Public Land and this is a large Forum. I’d take any information you gain with a grain of salt. I’d also try to keep the names of the places you anticipate on hunting off of any public forums or Facebook.
LOL thanks for the info, hopefully I will have a slow day at work tomorrow and can use the ol googlenator and look up the WMA's. Hopefully there will be one near her. Thanks again!

The AON's peak of rut map has been pretty accurate in my experience. I hunted southwest Alabama all my life and south east and central Alabama some too.

Taylor.S

FNG
I got invited to hunt a lease in central Alabama the first week of February. Will there be any rut activity? I’m from Pennsylvania, never hunted the south. Any advice?

Thanks

How did your hunt go? I'm from southeast Alabama. Most of our rutting activity goes on during late Jan. - early Feb. I rattled in a smaller 10 point Feb 9

OP
L

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
How did your hunt go? I'm from southeast Alabama. Most of our rutting activity goes on during late Jan. - early Feb. I rattled in a smaller 10 point Feb 9

We had a good time and saw some different country but the hunting was kinda slow. Didn’t see much rut action. Maybe the hot weather had them moving more at night? If we go back to that area we’ll try late January.